DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:12
LRPalo is on a distinguished road
Default Cooling Issues

So Im having a cooling issue with my truck. I had to pick my mother up last week, she hit some construction materials that fell off the back of a truck. She has a MB ML320 that weighs just over 4k and my trailer is around 2k. The truck ran great towing the load, going up some long fairly steep grades I saw the temp gauge creep up to maybe 1/16''-1/8'' above the halfway point on the gauge. But it quickly came back down. I noticed this same action a couple weeks ago when I towed my dads boat, that weighs in at about 5500lbs and again up some serious hills where the truck had to be reving at about 4500-4700 rpms. I attributed this temperature increase to the heavy loads and higher revs. Back to the problem. After I unloaded her car, and disconnected the trailer i noticed that the temp gauge was up near the top white line in the gauge. I quickly jumped out and checked the coolant level and there was coolant in the overflow tank. started to drive the truck and it cooled to about halfway between the middle line and upper white line. I plugged in my tablet and thanks to torque pro it was floating at about 220 degrees. If i gave it gas if would cool a little. But since then I have not been able to recreate the temperature increase. I thought it could be a faulty fan clutch since as soon as i started driving it dropped. So letting it idle for over 45 mins and it would not even reach the halfway point. Under any driving conditions it will not heat up. I had a coolant leak when i bought the truck a month ago and the dealer and they fixed some seal supposedly. (dealers service dept was a bunch of liars). I did seem to get a lot of air out of the system by cracking the plug in the top of the little aluminum housing that the upper radiator hose is connected to. But i couldnt get it to recreate the heating up symptom before i got all of the air out of the system. Im kind of at a loss, Im halfway debating just putting in a new thermostat, water pump, and fan clutch for safe measures. I do a fair amount of towing and dont want to have a serious problem occur when Im on the road with a trailer. Any input or if anyone else has had such issues would be great.
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, it sounds pretty normal to me. Once the juices get flowing, it usually takes some serious wind rolling over the fins to cool the engine down. Did you have the A/C going as well?
I'm not going to tell not to change them out, but this seems like an isolated incident and the truck sat idling for a minute after pulling a heavy load. I'd watch it for a while and see how it goes after a few more tows.

Last edited by RogerRamJet; 09-02-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So an update. I was only able to recreate the issue of the truck running hot after towing. The problem ended up being the fan clutch. To make sure I dont have any other issues with cooling I replaced the water pump and thermostat while I was at it with a full cooling system flush.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:02 AM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update! How's it running now?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Truck is running great, and i have noticed that running 93 octane gas in it makes it run a whole lot better. I towed a friends race to PA and back with no issues. I do have funny clunking sound coming from the front end, Hubs are new, new sway bar links, and can jack the truck up and yank on everything and get no feeling of anything loose. Also see my other post of odd dragging.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:44 PM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPalo View Post
Truck is running great, and i have noticed that running 93 octane gas in it makes it run a whole lot better. I towed a friends race to PA and back with no issues. I do have funny clunking sound coming from the front end, Hubs are new, new sway bar links, and can jack the truck up and yank on everything and get no feeling of anything loose. Also see my other post of odd dragging.
Good to hear it's running great. I saw your post on the odd dragging but didn't have anything to add at the time. Now that I've got a little less blood in my alcohol stream, I'll take a look at it again and offer some advice.