DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
Lonnzo79 is on a distinguished road
Default Bestop Power boards on my 2009 Dodge Crew problems

Ok so I bought a set of the power board last November.

Installed them with not much trouble, fast forward to March, I had 3 motors go out/grinding gears on the power board. They said they had a revised motor setup,lower gearing, so I replaced the brain computer and both motors at that time. Now just this last week the driver's side started grinding again then a day later, dead.

I'm not a huge dude, I weigh 230 so I'm way under the 600 lb rating. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem or just me. The parts are easy enough to swap out but come on, I paid $1000 for these, I never imagined I'd have this much problems with these or I would have got something else.

Lonnie
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

I'd send them an email or call whoever you bought it from. Hopefully they'll at least have a warranty or send you free replacement parts.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 10-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1946
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Welcome to Bestop Powerboards. Burning out motors is very typical with those boards. That's why I highly recommend spending the extra money to get the AMP steps. Bestop is just a cheaper, lower quality version of AMP.

If you can, try to get your money back (but I doubt that will happen) and then get some AMP steps. Otherwise you're going to have to deal with the motors going out constantly or suck up the loss and just buy AMP ones yourself.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram 2500
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: flame red
Rep:471
Kcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of light

Yep the bestop boards suck! My grandpa went through 3-4 motors and boards busted off truck twice in the 3 months he had his. Those got replaced with AMP boards imidiately after he got his money back. For the 100-150 dollar difference it's a no brainer to go with AMP

6" BDS lift kit, BMF R.E.P.R, 37" toyo MT, recon cab lights, color matched interior trim, tinted tails, custom headlights, cjc off-road light bar, backrack, afe stage 2 CAI
sponsored by BULLY'S PERFORMANCE
Old 10-21-2013, 12:22 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Exactly what all the guys above said ^^^ Bestop is known for their motors going out, they are essentially the exact same thing as the AMP boards with the exception of the motor, we have a local guy here who after 5 motors going out he ordered the electronic parts including the motor for the same boards made by AMP and put them in instead, now 2 years later he has had no more issues, not sure if this is something you are wanting to do.

However I agree I would get a hold of someone at Bestop and see what they can do for you.

Thanks
Jeremiah

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4
Color: Flame Red
Rep:10
godsey1 is on a distinguished road

Are these the NX wireless power boards by Bestop? I was looking into these for my truck because the motors are sealed, unlike the regular ones.

Tony
Old 01-23-2014, 03:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Bquietroy is on a distinguished road

Just got home after my six motor replacement from 4 wheel parts! Same thing they blowing smoke, here's a new computer to slow down the board. Now he had the nerve to ask if I was steeping on them before the were fully extended. Uhhhh they don't come down so I can't use them too step on.... JUNK! Now we go after 4 wheel parts. Fingers crossed
Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
fiveogirl is on a distinguished road

Same problem here with besttop. They also told me to stop stepping on them
Before they come down all the way! I told them
I'm not! My passenger motor goes out every month they just keep replacing them. I'm getting tired of this.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
enferasx is on a distinguished road

I just bought a set of AMP Powersteps for my 2010 Ram 1500. After talking to a few mechanics/installers they all suggested not to go through with the install and said they refused to do it because the install kit wasn't made properly for the truck model. Primarily, they said that there was a lot of cutting involved in order to rig it up. Has anyone installed these on a 2010 and been successful or had problems?
Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
enferasx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by enferasx View Post
I just bought a set of AMP Powersteps for my 2010 Ram 1500. After talking to a few mechanics/installers they all suggested not to go through with the install and said they refused to do it because the install kit wasn't made properly for the truck model. Primarily, they said that there was a lot of cutting involved in order to rig it up. Has anyone installed these on a 2010 and been successful or had problems?

To be more clear, the issue is that the boards do not sit flush when in the retracted position because of the farm of the 2009-2012 Ram. That is what I have been told at least.