DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 sport
Color: BLACK
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:51
Nemmisis1 will become famous soon enough

Search my 100 dollar eBay kit.. All u need is there
Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
The reason so many people have issues is because most buy either a cheap kit or don't research what is needed to make it work properly. The joys of having a canbus system is that there are constant loop checks done, which fluctuates the input voltage and that messes with a lot of ballasts. Then throw in the low-voltage DRL setup and it's a recipe for lots of complaints. If you run a system with a relay and proper resistors/voltage regulators, then you won't have any issues.
Agree 100%, well said.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Black
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

im running retrosolutions 55w digital in both my fogs and headlights with a canbus wiring harness. no problems as far as flickering or issues with the truck. the only problem i have is i have a bulb already going out after 9mo and retrosolutions wont honor their warranty... thats another story though...
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 AM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
im running retrosolutions 55w digital in both my fogs and headlights with a canbus wiring harness. no problems as far as flickering or issues with the truck. the only problem i have is i have a bulb already going out after 9mo and retrosolutions wont honor their warranty... thats another story though...
What is the reason they are not honoring it?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Express / slt
Color: Blue
Rep:10
Blu is on a distinguished road

ok have to ask .... whats the deal with DDM TUNING I am looking at there h13 hi/low system. Do I need the the error eliminators? is this a good kit ? and do I need anything else .. my trucks 2011 ram with dual headlamp been reading around everyone is saying go DDM . I am a truck part distributor and have access to good quality kits such as bright source and the hypherion elte systems but do I need to spend the extra MOOLA or should I just give these DDM'S a try .... thanks for any help .. cheers
Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Black
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

Here's the deal with ddm. I lived litterally two blocks away from their shop in huntington beach CA. The people that work there in my opinion are idiots as far as im concerned but that doesnt reflect on their product. Being as they were so close and so cheap with a life time warranty i put HIDs on every car/truck ive owned (which is about 7 in the past 3 year) and on all my family members cars including my ex wifes family members cars (we were married at the time) ive learned a lot about their products over the years and here is what i have to say about them.

For the money and warranty you cant go wrong. $35 for hids with a life time warranty?! im sold! Ive installed their kits on a lot of different cars/trucks and ive only had 1 ballast fail. Their warranty is truly no hassle unlike retrosolutions where you pay nearly $400 for 2 kits one goes bad and they give you the run around just to get rid of you. They move a ton of units and i truly mean A TON. So with that being said i dont think they will be going out of business soon leaving you S.O.L. Their 35w kits are good but not the best around. At the same time though i feel they are the best for the price. The 55w kit is pretty good the only downside is it uses a 35w bulb and it comes dirrectly from china so it takes forever. I consider 2-3 weeks forever at least lol. Their bulb kelvin is a little inconsistent. i put a 35w kit on a ranger and on a 4 runner both 4500k one came out purple/pure white the other came out more like a 4500k where it was warm white. The 55w 6000k kit i put on a jaguar s-type i had came out with a tinge turquoise where the same 55w 6000k kit i put on my ex wifes jeep came out with a tinge blue. On my f350 i had, i think i got the wrong kit all together one bulb was pink the other one was yellow but they exchanged it no questions asked and so i got new ones which came out pure white (5000k 35w). I read that at DDM this is common cause i guess they dont have all the kelvin rating bulbs they claim so like 4500k and 5000k you get the same bulb 6000k and 8000k same bulb as well as 10000k and 12000k.

in conclusion you are paying less for less quality control. If you want HIDs that work and wont break the bank go with DDM if you want a very good and true to color kit go with a morimoto mini h1 retrofit and get the morimoto 3five ballast and morimoto XB35 h1 bulb. also theretrofitsource has a standalone can-bus wire that id get if i went with the ddm kit.

hope i help if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 10-23-2013, 07:38 PM

The only thing I will tell anyone that uses Cheap Ballasts in there trucks is use them with a wire harness. If the cheap ballast will blow, you wont kill your TIPM in your truck, cheap insurance for an $800 product. There are no fuses to your front headlights or fogs or highs, if it shorts due to a crappy ballast, you will blow your TIPM, at least with a wire harness you will have the chance your fuse in the harness will blow before your TIPM, also, cheap ballast upon trigger can pull 10 - 15 amps, over time these will fatigue your TIPM and it will die needed replacement, with a wire harness your driving them off the battery direct and only using a small amount of power to trigger them.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:05 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

When you need to replace a HID bulb, you should buy 2 bulbs at the same time and replace both of them. The reason is that the quality control (for the metal salts in the glass bulb) is not that great and when they purchase the HID bulbs for the install kits, all the bulbs come from the same lot and per what Kelvin they are.

So if you want to have your HID bulbs to be the same color, buy them in sets of 2. You don't want 1 old bulb at one shade of color and 1 new bulb another shade.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
When you need to replace a HID bulb, you should buy 2 bulbs at the same time and replace both of them. The reason is that the quality control (for the metal salts in the glass bulb) is not that great and when they purchase the HID bulbs for the install kits, all the bulbs come from the same lot and per what Kelvin they are.

So if you want to have your HID bulbs to be the same color, buy them in sets of 2. You don't want 1 old bulb at one shade of color and 1 new bulb another shade.
Agree 100%, true that, bulbs are not expensive, get the pair have a spare.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Express / slt
Color: Blue
Rep:10
Blu is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info brondondolan .... jeez don't know what to do looking at an xenon h/13 hi / lo kit with canbus ballast... straight from china shipped to me in Canada for 75 bucks ... I have had good luck with these kits in the past ... that being said I work for a big truck accessorie company ...I can get a truck specific hi/lo from brite source which I can basically have warranty for life on them but gona cost me 180 bucks (ouch ) or alternative theres a local company doing hypherion elite kits truck specific 140.00 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Im honestly thinking just get the kit straight from the source for 75 bucks ... but jeez might be worth just spending the money just for the fact I can get new ballast bulbs anything I need no charge and quick ............ I guess just never payed over 100 for an hid kit any thoughts are appreciated .. oh and I have a xenon h10 kit for the fogs sitting there waiting to go in aswell ..