DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Sage Green Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:496
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
What ever happened to ole' Cliff?
Chris told me the other day the dealer ship is gonna be ordering him a short block so it's gonna get fixed as far as I know
Old 09-24-2013, 12:13 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steny333 View Post
Just came across this thread, and it sounds like the exact problem I'm having.

(My original post: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151406)

Them saying Performance Exhaust is what caused your problem is BS if you ask me. I've owned my truck for a month, and its completely stock. No performance exhaust, no chip...nothing!
I've brought it to my chrysler dealer 3 times now. They have yet to do anything about it, tell me its a lifter, and that they do not have a tech with that level of certification to take it apart. I know what a lifter sounds like...its not a lifter!

Any updates on this? I'd love to be able to stop driving around in tow/haul to prevent it from dropping into MDS and sounding like I put zip ties on every axle!

Thanks!
Say what?!? I call B.S. on that one. A dealership doesn't have a tech that can tear down an engine? Are they just hiring lube techs now?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Hunter Green Pearl
Rep:10
Steny333 is on a distinguished road

Couldn't agree more! At least I know where to go if I ever need warranty on my oil filter...or if the air in a tire goes bad.

They also told me they test drove it, and it is blowing clouds of smoke out the pipes when you step on it. I've only seen this happen once. So I'm leaning more towards an injector problem vs. a lifter. This click is way too light and fast to be a lifter. Sounds like 3/8" ratchet spinning backwards. And since it only happens when its running 4 cylinders...how could it be a lifter? Shouldn't hear that lifter all the time?

Maybe I not understanding how this MDS works so correct me if I'm wrong...but the valves are still opening and closing...its just those 4 injectors that are shut off and the plugs are not firing.

If an injector was dumping gas in, and there is no spark, once I step on it and all 8 start firing, I would most likely see smoke roll out as all that gas would ignite. I'm sure I could pull the plugs and see what they look like, but I'm not going to touch it until I get warranty confirmation from a dealer.

I just don't know what noise a bad injector makes?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

Valves stay closed. Cylinder keeps exhaust gas in cylinder as air cushion against piston. Fuel injectors shut off. I'm almost positive spark keeps going. All this happens in a millisecond. MDS cylinder's refire if more power is needed, engine starts getting too cold or the four cylinders need new exhaust cushion. This is the short version.
Google RAM MDS activation for a better explanation and 3D video of it in action.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Hunter Green Pearl
Rep:10
Steny333 is on a distinguished road

Thanks oldhp! I checked out a few videos on how things work. That helps me understand what could be happening. I'm going to bring my truck out to the shop this weekend and get it up on the hoist. Then I'll at least be able to have someone in there with it in gear and try to at least narrow down where the sound is coming from. appreciate the info!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:176
Clifford17 has a spectacular aura aboutClifford17 has a spectacular aura about

The new dealership I brought it to has placed a long block on order. Looks like its gunna get fixed after all. As soon as its fixed and running strong again Clifford is going up for sale...
Old 10-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, good for you. Keep Us posted.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford17 View Post
The new dealership I brought it to has placed a long block on order. Looks like its gunna get fixed after all. As soon as its fixed and running strong again Clifford is going up for sale...
Wow...unbelievable. Cliff, you are doing the right thing......don't know what will go south next......if I was you.....I would stay away from the tuners with your next ride......JMO. The nightmare is almost over.