DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 3/4 Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:39
Quasimoto is on a distinguished road
Default Power Wagon Diff Swap

I upgraded my 2005 Ram 2500 with Power Wagon Axles. With them in now I figured I would start a thread for the swap to help others.
It all Started with a 2500km trip to go pick up a set of used Diffs with 50,000 km (31,000mi) on them from a wreckers out side of Vancouver. When I got the Diffs home I gave them a check over inside and out, plus a coat of paint. I also recieved the stock pigtails with the Diffs so I checked to make sure that the lockers worked and which wires I was going to use to power them.

I also figured that if I was going to go this far I would also upgrade the steering linkage and add a steering box brace at the same time.

So then it was into the shop to get started.

After putting it on jack stands and pulling the front wheels I cleaned and sprayed every bolt I could find with penitrating lube.

I undid the abs wires and hung the calipers out of the way. I decided to remove the sway bar completely, because I run diesel coils on a hemi and don't need it.

The Draglink needed a little heat to pop out of the pitman arm, but the panhard bar came off fairly easy. The bottom bolt on the shocks was undone and the Coils were held up into the coil buckets with bungee cords.

In order to get the drive shaft disconected I had to lift the truck up to get enough angle at the bottom yoke ear to fit a ground down torx bit inside the ears into the screws.

To Be Continued
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Before I let the truck back down I put some jackstands by the transfercase crossmember and threw my stock tires on. I undid the trailing arms and roled out the diff (Remember to disconect the diff breather).

I then transfered the tires and breather over to the new diffs and rolled them into place and rehooked up all the arms, linkages, shocks, brakes, driveshaft and steering brace.

The next day I worked on the back.
It was again put up on jack stands, wheels removed and everything sprayed with lube.

The shocks, brakes, driveshaft and airbags were disconected. I cut the ubolts and ebrakes cables because I was going with new ones (DAM RUST).
Jackstands were put under the frame at the back of the cab and the diff was rolled out.

To Be Continued
Old 09-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The new diff was rolled in and hooked up.

On day 3 it was time to wire them up. I built a switch panel that would fit were the cubby was on the dash.

I installed an extra fuse panel for the switches behind the panel on the side of the DS dash.

I ran wires from each diff to behind the battery. Because I am using the factory pigtails I hooked power to the YL/OR and ground to the YL/LG on the front. The rear got power to the YL/WT and ground to the YL/GY. When I tested the lockers I found that because I shared the power to the 2 switches that when both lockers are on it would pop a 10 amp fuse but not a 15 amp.

I hope this helps any one that plans to do this also.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
casper97ta is on a distinguished road

Wow very nice write and nice job on the swap. Makes me wish I had solid axles
6" RCX - Bilsteins @ 2.1 - 1" TGC rear spacer - 37x13.5x20 Amp Terrains on Stock chrome - Superchips 3865 on 93 with trans tune - Vararam - Bully's 87mm TB - Magnaflow 14" - DeeZee Tailgate Assist - Bakflip G2- Debadged - 2500 Pocket flares - Cabin Filter - 2 12" Sundowns in Foxbox
Old 09-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Ram ORE 4x4 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
Wh1t3nukle will become famous soon enough

Good job on the swap. How about some more detail on your switch panel? Nice packaging job.

Any issues arise since the install?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1t3nukle View Post
Good job on the swap. How about some more detail on your switch panel? Nice packaging job.

Any issues arise since the install?

I don't have any other pictures of the switch panel. But what I did was cut a flat piece of plastic from an old box liner I had. I shaped it so it could be sandwiched between the dash panel and cubby tray. I cut off the back of the cubby tray so i could run the wires to the switches. I mounted the 8 switches,(left to right) 2 - on/off for lockers, 1 - on/off/on and 1 - mom on/off/mom on for my siren controls, 4 - on/off to control the Led light bars. I heated some letter metal punches to mark the switches.

The only issue I have had is I mounted one of my radio mics below the front locker switch and have turned on my front locker on once when i grabbed my mic.