DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.7 Liter V6

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.7 Liter V6 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 3.7-liter V6 engine - 210 horsepower, 235 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Team Drew/Captain

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Just think, 16 more of you guys and you can do a group buy!

lol
I thought with the original four they were going to start a boy-band

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 99 dodge ram 3.9L
Color: red
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:10
2013grad is on a distinguished road

think there's anything good for a 3.9L to get more power?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Team Drew/Captain

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Two more cylinders?

JK I'm not familiar with the performance enhancements but I just couldn't pass that up.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 08-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:512
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

I had a 05 st rcsb 3.7. it was alright, at the time it was 4 yrs old and 52k mi and i got it for 6.5k... or maybe it was 7k? I dont really remember, but it was a good deal and i wanted a truck. For everyday use and most usual hauling it was good, but now i have the hemi, im addicted. Lol
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler,AFE CAI, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s,BT 964SP lowered on oem chrome 17's and some LEDs... Plenty on the To-Do list

New audio build in progress
Old 08-27-2013, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

I find it funny that a bunch of the most adamant V6 owners in this thread have since upgraded to a newer truck with a V8.

Right now, I'm driving a V6 5 speed Chevy since my Dodge is a POS. It's adequate if not towing, but if you tow, or do more than haul light loads, you'd want a V8.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 ram reg cab
Trim Level: base
Color: silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
smoknight is on a distinguished road

I used to have a 95 Ram 5.2 and yes I'm going to join this boy band of real men driving the 3.7.
I don't see the need for two more cylinders to gain 10 more horse power of that the clown has in his truck. Seems like a lot of metal weight to haul extra in the two cylinders for ten horse power more. Maybe the clown needs two extra cylinders because he is shy a few. If he can't even read that this is a 3.7 thread for lovers of the six. My 5.2 had a five speed. And the 3.7 has a 6 speed. I scrap metal with mine and both will run 60 on the high way with over a ton of weight. I will admit that the 95 5.2 always got me 19-21 miles per gallon. And the 2007 3.7 only gets 17-18. But as for the work from each is about the same. Not a noticeable difference between the two other than millage and the 5.2 had a faster takeoff.
Do it I fell that I stepped down from the 5.2 to the 3.7. Only in mileage. At first I did but once I started using premium I found it responded just as good as the slant six did to the higher octane. Would I get or take a 5.7. Who wants to waste money on that when you could just as well get the real work horse Dodge Viper Truck.
I don't need all the racing power I just need a truck from Dodge that I can scrap iron and other metals in. And then I am here to say the 3.7 Has been doing just fine at 84 k . will this motor still be strong without using oil at 250k like my 5.7. That is to be seen in the future. It was a really great truck and it was time for a new bed that was destroyed from having short iron being tossed in. From what I have seen from the 2007 bed it won't last 12 years. But I am sure I'll make enough before this truck quite I'll be able to buy a Viper Truck. If they still make them. I have not been hanging around the dealer ship having to buy parts or aftermarket parts to keep it running. That's all I have to say now
Michael
Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I think most people don't have an issue with he v6, but I think the way most people feel is why get a v6 that has less hp, torque, and mpg when you can get the v8. Yeah you save a little up front cost but that's the only benefit. If buying used pretty much not any benefit.

I will say with the new v6 getting great mpg and having decent power, I bet it'll be fairly well respected.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknight View Post
I used to have a 95 Ram 5.2 and yes I'm going to join this boy band of real men driving the 3.7.
I don't see the need for two more cylinders to gain 10 more horse power of that the clown has in his truck. Seems like a lot of metal weight to haul extra in the two cylinders for ten horse power more. Maybe the clown needs two extra cylinders because he is shy a few. If he can't even read that this is a 3.7 thread for lovers of the six. My 5.2 had a five speed. And the 3.7 has a 6 speed. I scrap metal with mine and both will run 60 on the high way with over a ton of weight. I will admit that the 95 5.2 always got me 19-21 miles per gallon. And the 2007 3.7 only gets 17-18. But as for the work from each is about the same. Not a noticeable difference between the two other than millage and the 5.2 had a faster takeoff.
Do it I fell that I stepped down from the 5.2 to the 3.7. Only in mileage. At first I did but once I started using premium I found it responded just as good as the slant six did to the higher octane. Would I get or take a 5.7. Who wants to waste money on that when you could just as well get the real work horse Dodge Viper Truck.
I don't need all the racing power I just need a truck from Dodge that I can scrap iron and other metals in. And then I am here to say the 3.7 Has been doing just fine at 84 k . will this motor still be strong without using oil at 250k like my 5.7. That is to be seen in the future. It was a really great truck and it was time for a new bed that was destroyed from having short iron being tossed in. From what I have seen from the 2007 bed it won't last 12 years. But I am sure I'll make enough before this truck quite I'll be able to buy a Viper Truck. If they still make them. I have not been hanging around the dealer ship having to buy parts or aftermarket parts to keep it running. That's all I have to say now
Michael
It's not just about HP. It's about torque and where power is made in the powerband. Your 3.7 may only have 10 less horsepower, but it has 70 less lb ft of torque than the 5.2 and the peak numbers are higher in the power band.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 dodge ram
Color: white
zeroV61500 is on a distinguished road
Default First Ram

This is my first ram and I am looking to just make a little more power than comes stock... Im running the 3.7 v6 and I just wondered what either bolt on or tune jobs I could do that would get me where i wanted to be.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: none
Color: White
NamesJames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroV61500 View Post
This is my first ram and I am looking to just make a little more power than comes stock... Im running the 3.7 v6 and I just wondered what either bolt on or tune jobs I could do that would get me where i wanted to be.
I know there are mods like the fastman throttle body upgrade, or custom cold air intake, gears, new y pipe, headers and a better flowing muffler and of course the higher flowing cats. I actually found something on youtube i havent seen on the forums though. May not be the prettiest thing, but any vehicle can benefit from it. basically you make a ram air intake setup on the truck. Lowes or Home depot sells all the supplies you'd need and it costs under $30-40 depending on how much you buy. I used the vent piece you would use in the floor of a house and mounted it behind my front bumper but where the cooler wind would catch in it. Then used the stronger flex tubing (4'') and routed it to my stock breather box. Its not air tight right now as i just done it a few days ago and its been raining since. But it still definetly routes the cooler air into the filter. I won't say its a huge gain and i try not to let little mods get to my head too much. But everyone knows cooler air brings more power in the combustion chamber, so theres no argument there. Ive driven this in the rain today and on the interstate yesterday for 40 miles. So far so good. My truck has the 3.7 v6 with the 6 speed. Before doing this mod my truck would just hold speed in the overdrive (6th) gear. Now it gains speed.. slowly, but its a slight difference. For the money spent doing this, im not gonna down it. Its not the prettiest thing, but the tubing can be painted and its pretty strong. I'm sure paired with a cold air intake, this mod would only work better. And of course an opened exhaust. I just thought i'd chime in. My 3.7 wasn't treated the best by the guy i got it from. New transmission, plugs, hood, and front bumper, and this mod later.. i feel better about it. Not a power house, but I can tell the engine liked this. **no negative effects driving in the rain btw*