DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 4wd
Trim Level: Longhorn Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
Wartowne is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 Ram 2500 4WD issue

This is my first post here.
I have a 2013 Ram 2500 4WD diesel. I have right at 2,000 miles to date.
I put larger wheels and tires on a week after purchase LT295/70R18

I also had a MAXX suspensions 2 inch leveling kit installed and realignment done. The truck drove great and looks great.

The other day, while backing out of my driveway, something in the driveline made a very loud metallic clanging and then the truck did not want to move. Trying to back up and turn out of my driveway, it felt as is the 4WD had engaged and felt like trying to drive on DRY pavement. There were no indicator lights that the system was engaged.
The other symptom was going from park to drive, the truck did not want to move as if the brakes were engaged. I have a flat driveway and am fully aware of the hill-start assist.

I parked the truck and had a friend come over. He maneuvered the truck around while I inspected. Nothing was rubbing or interfering as inspected.

The wheels were literally shimmying as we would maneuver the truck in the driveway. We engaged the 4WD and let it cycle thru engagement to see if that would release the front wheels. It did.

Following that, I drove the truck around 20 miles. Come back home and BOOM, sounded like the transmission fell out of the truck! It was bad. At that point I called a tow truck and had it hauled to the dealership.

To sum it up, of course the service dept said that they could not get the truck to repeat the symptoms and gave it back to me. They didn't even crack open the front diff. The service guy told me that the bigger tires not being programed into the computer and the "non-Mopar" leveling kit could be the issue and that they had a Wrangler that had bigger tires that caused 2nd gear to burn out.

Of course, my response to the service guy was "BULL $HiT"

I have the truck back and will hopefully be able to capture this phenomena on my iphone as evidence the next time it happens.

Can anyone with technical expertise give any credence to the service dept's claims?
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough

Wow, his back must hurt from carrying that load of crap around. If larger tires did that then then the streets would be littered with broken down Wranglers since bigger tires are practically a rite of passenger for Jeep owners. Besides having to exert itself by turning a heavier tire it seems like the only real issue a truck would have with larger tires and no adjustment in programming would be the speedometer being off a bit. Granted, this is assuming you aren't running some ridiculously oversized Bigfoot tires that weigh a gazillion pounds...and from the size you listed that isn't an issue. I ran 35" BFGs on my 2010 Rubicon without issue, and compared to your diesel my Jeep's 3.8L was about as powerful as a baby rat fart.

Perhaps a different dealer should take a look at it.

PS Welcome to the forums!
6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior

Last edited by edge35; 08-13-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:10 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah man, I don't think your 3/4 ton has a high enough payload rating to haul around the load of bullsh*t he gave you.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'm curious if leveling the truck could somehow cause the Hill start assist to think the truck is inclined and therefore try to engage the brakes.

Like I said, I cant envision how slightly larger tires would cause these issues.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartowne View Post
I'm curious if leveling the truck could somehow cause the Hill start assist to think the truck is inclined and therefore try to engage the brakes.

Like I said, I cant envision how slightly larger tires would cause these issues.
Well even if the hill start assist did anything it only lasts for a few seconds. It disengages once you hit the gas.

Sounds like something more is going on here.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Agreed. I'm just praying I don't have a random software phantom.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

If I remember right from my manual, the hills start doesn't even kick in unless you are at a 7% grade or more. The level kit couldn't have changed it that much. It sounds like you have a mechanical issue (transfer case, differential, axle, etc). With it happening twice already, the next time will probably leave you stranded somewhere when it grenades.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel Matallic
Rep:62
crabjoe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartowne View Post
To sum it up, of course the service dept said that they could not get the truck to repeat the symptoms and gave it back to me. They didn't even crack open the front diff. The service guy told me that the bigger tires not being programed into the computer and the "non-Mopar" leveling kit could be the issue and that they had a Wrangler that had bigger tires that caused 2nd gear to burn out.

Of course, my response to the service guy was "BULL $HiT"

I have the truck back and will hopefully be able to capture this phenomena on my iphone as evidence the next time it happens.

Can anyone with technical expertise give any credence to the service dept's claims?
transmission shifting isn't based on wheel speed. It's based on the speed of the transmissions output shaft. Speedo is done with the ABS sensors... Because of these 2 reason is the reason why if you swapped your gearset out, you don't need to program anything into the computer....

If something in the transmission popped, it's not because of the tires...

BTW, if cycling through the 4WD selector fixed the problem for 20 miles, I'm thinking it's something in the transfer case.