DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road
Default Off Road Lights

Hi guys, I have a 2012 QC Outdoorsman 4x4. As many of you know the stock lights are not the best, a lot better than they have been in years prior but still not up to par. I live in the catskill mountains in NY and seeing 10-15 deer a night on the way home is very common. With this being said I was looking to install additional lights to help visibility. I know many will say HID or Sylvania but I do not feel this is the way to go. I think you can have to many moisture issues with the HIDs and Sylvania just dont last. I am not super mod crazy. I just graduated college got married, bought a house and a new truck in the last 8 months. As you can tell its been busy and there just isn't tons of money to spend on a new truck when the wifes will need to be replaced soon. I am not looking to add a bull guard or brush guard as many of these aren't strong enough to protect against a deer they're just for looks. My father spent $700 on his which is huge and it still just doesn't cut it for me. I'm looking to mount them somehow behind the grill. If you any of you guys have done that which I've seen you have can you show me some pictures. Also i'm looking for suggestion on lights. I've been looking at LED off road lights and they can range up to $1,000 which is just crazy. Have any of you guys used cheaper ones like they sell on amazon. They seem to be rated decently and price is right on the money. With installing them behind grill how did this affect light output. Also was considering trying to wire fogs with high beams. My fathers is done this way but from what i've read i would need to wire both side with relays, sound correct? sorry for the long post. Also if you guys want to chime in on mufflex, I'm looking at adding a 18". I dont want it super loud as I will be driving into hunting camps and the wife will be using it but I do want to hear that HEMI!!! Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

My only opinion is you pay for what you get, if you can get 4 crappy spots for a price and 2 good for the same price, go with the good ones. 4 crappy lights only give you 4 x crappy. Look into Hella, and get yourself a light bar, everyone will have an opinion on whats best, PIAA, Hello, KC pro, all make some really good lights. JMO
Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Yeah that what I was thinking. I've seen some with the light bar while they are nice they get very expensive. I don't want to go the HID route or Sylvania because when I get trade the truck in they go with it. I can take off additional lights. I was looking into the LED. They are super bright and use little electricity. I am redoing a lot of my house and I am installing LED recessed lighting and its amazing but its not cheap. They last forever though. I have been looking at recon with the two lights. they are about $250.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport crew cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue streak pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:83
JMS4218 will become famous soon enough

From what I have researched and used regarding light is that you get what you pay for. I have not seen any good led lights for cheep. To get good led lights you need to pay for them. For the price and light output that you are trying to get I would not go led if your on a budget.

Regarding the mufflex I have the 14" and love it. At times it can get a little loud (drone/mds) at certain speeds but it sounds great. The 18" might be exactly what your looking for. At times I wish I had the mufflex muffler delete but I think it would be too loud. The mufflex system took me 20 min to install and that was on the garage floor and no air tools.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

I have the dods18 from mufflex, been on for 10 months now, installed in 30 min, nice sound, love it, barely ever listen to the radio.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 PM

So i bought a set of tuff led lights talked to the owner and everything. Should bet the monday and installed following weekend. If im not happy within 6 months i can return them and get full refund so figured it was worth a try for full led lights that are spot flood combo for 80 shipped. Ive done some pricing and i can pick up the 18 inch magnaflow for 75 to my door. I think i can weld it in if not ill clamp it and save almost 200. The wife will like that
Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Crew Hemi
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Rep:10
niterydr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman2012 View Post
So i bought a set of tuff led lights talked to the owner and everything. Should bet the monday and installed following weekend. If im not happy within 6 months i can return them and get full refund so figured it was worth a try for full led lights that are spot flood combo for 80 shipped. Ive done some pricing and i can pick up the 18 inch magnaflow for 75 to my door. I think i can weld it in if not ill clamp it and save almost 200. The wife will like that

Bumping an old post here, but did you ever get them installed? Pictures?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:36 PM

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=137083

Thats them installed. If your looking for pictures of how they're mounting let me know and i can post them. As i kinda of said in the thread, I like the lights as they are bright but they really didn't do what I wanted them to do. They don't have much of a focus and light up everything. I did install them on a switch and i'm glad I did because I would have been blinding everyone. They do work great at night for blinding those that pull out and go 35 in a 55. They don't stay in front of me for long!!

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147534

Thats the magnaflow. I really like it. Wish I had the 14 for everyday driving but with pulling a 7500lbs camper that would probably get annoying quickly. I can cover up the noise of the 18 with the radio on most driving when pulling the trailer. Very happy with it

Last edited by Outdoorsman2012; 08-08-2013 at 09:39 PM.