DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-31-2013, 06:14 PM
Victim of Sequestration

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:175
K9ENDY has a spectacular aura aboutK9ENDY has a spectacular aura about
Default 2013 Ram Interior Lighting Questions Answered

I put this in here since it is specific to the 2013 Ram. I had previously started toying with the interior lights but when I realized there was a different configuration for this year, I backed off and asked.

I had posted a question about replacing the LED's in the exterior and interior lighting section of the forum and had not received a reply (that worked) after bumping it a couple times.

Unfortunately, the book for the 2013 Rams has not been updated with current information. It's a nice day so I decided to have another look. Here is what I found. You may not like it.

The front map light bulbs are pretty strange looking and they are behind chrome painted plastic pieces. To get the bulb out you have to remove the chrome pieces and by the looks of it, there is no way to get them back on.

This pic is a new light on the left and the chrome plastic piece still affixed on the right.

Lights on: new on left, old on right.

Chrome housing (top) and old bulb (bottom).

Lights off (sorry about the reflection, sunny day and I'm not complaining).

Lights on.

The light in the back seat of the truck is affixed to an approximately 2"x4" circuit board. There is a bulb that is part of the board. There is no changing this bulb without changing the board. I tried to take a picture of it but it is a very tight space and I did not feel like further disassembling it since I cannot swap it out.

So for now, I will have blues in front with no chrome piece in front of the bulb. Still have white light in the back. The rear lights in the Challenger aren't user configurable either, similar to the LEDs near your feet in the back of the Ram. We have blue in front and white in rear in that car too and it still looks great.

The bulbs that I had, which thankfully worked are part number 921-B9 (wedge base, 9 LED bulb) from superbrightleds.com. There is no issue with them not turning off when they are supposed to so no resistor should be needed.

Hope this helps.
DeeZee Ultrablack Bull Bar/Fuel Maverick Wheels/Goodyear DuraTracs/Line-X Bedliner/TorzaTop Tonneau/Steelcraft Nerfbars/18" Magnaflow/K&N Drop-in/Hella Driving Lights/Prestige XS Flares/IPCW Tailgate Bar/Honeycomb Inserts/AVS Vent Visors & Bugflector/DeeZee Tailgate Assist/VHT Tails/Billet Tailgate Emblem/AMI Grille Emblem/Debadged/CrystalVision Fogs/Hardwired Cobra Radar Detector/Stubby Antenna/AMI Fuel Door/Blue Int. LEDs

Last edited by K9ENDY; 04-01-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Rep:35
Zixxer is on a distinguished road

So does the new LED prevent the chrome insert from seating? If so, couldn't you drill a hole in the reflector to allow the LED head to pass through? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to understand the insert.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Victim of Sequestration

No, it's more like the plastic piece holding the chrome piece mushrooms out once the chrome piece is seated, so to get it back on you would have to get the chrome piece back over the cap of the mushroom and there is NO give in the chrome piece. I think you are essentially breaking it to get it off of there. Hope that makes sense the way I explained it.
DeeZee Ultrablack Bull Bar/Fuel Maverick Wheels/Goodyear DuraTracs/Line-X Bedliner/TorzaTop Tonneau/Steelcraft Nerfbars/18" Magnaflow/K&N Drop-in/Hella Driving Lights/Prestige XS Flares/IPCW Tailgate Bar/Honeycomb Inserts/AVS Vent Visors & Bugflector/DeeZee Tailgate Assist/VHT Tails/Billet Tailgate Emblem/AMI Grille Emblem/Debadged/CrystalVision Fogs/Hardwired Cobra Radar Detector/Stubby Antenna/AMI Fuel Door/Blue Int. LEDs
Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Victim of Sequestration

Night shot. Pretty bright little lights!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9ENDY View Post
Night shot. Pretty bright little lights!

Nice write up and pics! Looks sharp.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Rep:35
Zixxer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9ENDY View Post
No, it's more like the plastic piece holding the chrome piece mushrooms out once the chrome piece is seated, so to get it back on you would have to get the chrome piece back over the cap of the mushroom and there is NO give in the chrome piece. I think you are essentially breaking it to get it off of there. Hope that makes sense the way I explained it.
Yep, makes sense, thanks.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

Nice writeup. I guess I'm glad I have a 2012 in that sense. I really like the cool blue LEDs.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
WyoRam is on a distinguished road
Default Map and Dome Lights

The LED lights I bought for my map lights and dome light are the same size as the factory bulbs. There is no way to change the bulb without breaking off the chrome piece? There has to be a way, I toyed with the chrome piece but was to scared to break it.
Any new info on this??
Old 07-27-2013, 06:52 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

2013 Outdoorsman (Crew Cab)

I just poped off the plastic covers and replaced the OEM bulbs with the new LED lights. Every thing was plug & play and the LED lights were very bright. I ordered the blue LED lights.

I replaced my 2 map lights with (921 LED Bulb - 12 Wide Angle LED Mini Wedge Base) https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-base/203/904/

I replaced my dome light with (3710 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Festoon) https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...toon/661/1139/

Greg

Old 07-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:10
DatacomGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
2013 Outdoorsman (Crew Cab)

I just poped off the plastic covers and replaced the OEM bulbs with the new LED lights. Every thing was plug & play and the LED lights were very bright. I ordered the blue LED lights.

I replaced my 2 map lights with (921 LED Bulb - 12 Wide Angle LED Mini Wedge Base) https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-base/203/904/

I replaced my dome light with (3710 LED Bulb - 6 SMD LED Festoon) https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...toon/661/1139/

Greg
This thread really bummed me out until i read this. Now i need to tear in to mine to see what kind of luck i'll have.

I dont have the overhead console, need to buy one. So my only light is the dome, and it SUCKS. LED upgrade is a must.