DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1772
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcbigbadram View Post
did you have to cut out your front stake pockets? i was noticing the other day mine will need to be cut out to mount my headache rack. what did you use to cut them?
From what I know that is it. But you can simply drill a whole (its only plastic as Im sure you know)
But keep me posted as I am considering this to now.....
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: White and Mineral Gray
Rep:232
Cowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura about

I did not have to do anything to the pockets closest to the cab. I just had to trim some of the plastic on the ones by the tailgate. To trim the plastic, I just used a hobby knife.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread
My first Dodge photo thread
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram 2500
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: flame red
Rep:471
Kcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly@discountautoperformance View Post
From what I know that is it. But you can simply drill a whole (its only plastic as Im sure you know)
But keep me posted as I am considering this to now.....
i was considering cutting the whole thing out but i think i might just drill a hole big enough to get the bolt through. ill let you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Medic View Post
I did not have to do anything to the pockets closest to the cab. I just had to trim some of the plastic on the ones by the tailgate. To trim the plastic, I just used a hobby knife.
thats weird yours would be different than mine, must be a long bed thing.

6" BDS lift kit, BMF R.E.P.R, 37" toyo MT, recon cab lights, color matched interior trim, tinted tails, custom headlights, cjc off-road light bar, backrack, afe stage 2 CAI
sponsored by BULLY'S PERFORMANCE
Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Cowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy Medic has a spectacular aura about

I forgot that on my 2011 shortbed it was the opposite. On that one it was the cab ones I had to trim.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread
Old 06-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Got to tow for the first time tonight. It isn't that big of a trailer but it was loaded almost completely full with firewood. I am guessing somewhere around 3-4000 lbs with the wood and trailer. Maybe more not really sure I guess.

The truck pulled great. Very smooth acceleration under load and not bad fuel milage considering I only have 600 miles on the truck. Evic told me that I was getting 12.6. Engine brake worked very smooth as well. I couldn't be happier with the performance.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread
Old 06-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew-Cab
Color: Black over Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:31
Hardware is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...I also promised a couple of photos of the front reciever without the winch in the way. So here that is. I was initially concerned that it would block too much of the coolers, but as you can see plenty of air can still get around it. There is a brace that stops anything from being put through the receiver too far so that was a nice touch as well. This is made by Draw-Tite and I picked it up through my local NAPA store for $180.00. I had paid more than $200.00 to have one made by a welding shop before so I am pleased overall.

Crap, something I didn't know I needed until now!

What winch do you use in there?

Did you install it yourself?

Which part # is this yours?

65063?

or 65057?

What other uses do you have in mind for it?

It appears either will fit - any idea what the difference is?
MODS: BAKFlip F1; Head Rack; WeatherTech mud-flaps, vent visors & bug deflector; Cabella's rear seat cover; cabin air filter; Geno's Grill Quick Release Kit, PIAA Xtreme headlamps (Highs, Lows and Foglamps), WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners.

Last edited by Hardware; 06-09-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

The top one is the one I have. The second one will have the receiver coming out below the bumper. You will have to cut the plastic valance for it. I like the top one better because it sits right between the tow hooks and doesn't reduce your clearance or angles.

I use a 10,000 lb Warn with synthetic line. The line pull on the hitch is only 9,000 so you have to be careful. In reality I use the winch more for pulling light cars and trucks out more than for myself. If I go somewhere and am getting stuck, I am much more likely to put the winch in the rear receiver and back myself out of the situation.

Other uses would include a bike rack if I am pulling a trailer that doesn't accommodate one in the back. I have also used one of those flat hauler racks on one of my old trucks to haul misc gear or deer if the bed was already full with camp gear or the like. When I was doing more agricultural work I used to use the front receiver on my Ranchhand bumper to more easily maneuver trailers in tight places.

Overall I just find that there is a ton of uses so I like having it available for whatever comes along. Plus by using that method to mount the winch, I can take it off and get it out of the elements when I want.

Also, yes I installed it myself. Took about 20 minutes. All you do is take off the eight bolts for the tow hooks. The hitch goes on, tow hooks go back over the hitch and you use the bolts supplied with the hitch. Works best if you take the grill off to make it easy to reach the nuts on the back side of the bumper.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread

Last edited by Cowboy Medic; 06-09-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
The top one is the one I have. The second one will have the receiver coming out below the bumper. You will have to cut the plastic valance for it. I like the top one better because it sits right between the tow hooks and doesn't reduce your clearance or angles.

I use a 10,000 lb Warn with synthetic line. The line pull on the hitch is only 9,000 so you have to be careful. In reality I use the winch more for pulling light cars and trucks out more than for myself. If I go somewhere and am getting stuck, I am much more likely to put the winch in the rear receiver and back myself out of the situation.

Other uses would include a bike rack if I am pulling a trailer that doesn't accommodate one in the back. I have also used one of those flat hauler racks on one of my old trucks to haul misc gear or deer if the bed was already full with camp gear or the like. When I was doing more agricultural work I used to use the front receiver on my Ranchhand bumper to more easily maneuver trailers in tight places.

Overall I just find that there is a ton of uses so I like having it available for whatever comes along. Plus by using that method to mount the winch, I can take it off and get it out of the elements when I want.

Also, yes I installed it myself. Took about 20 minutes. All you do is take off the eight bolts for the tow hooks. The hitch goes on, tow hooks go back over the hitch and you use the bolts supplied with the hitch. Works best if you take the grill off to make it easy to reach the nuts on the back side of the bumper.
Excellent stuff. Thanks! Rep for that!!!
MODS: BAKFlip F1; Head Rack; WeatherTech mud-flaps, vent visors & bug deflector; Cabella's rear seat cover; cabin air filter; Geno's Grill Quick Release Kit, PIAA Xtreme headlamps (Highs, Lows and Foglamps), WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:21 PM

One last question - any cooling issues after installing the front receiver?

Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Temps haven't been real hot here yet so that is a factor. Additionally I haven't towed anything super heavy yet. As such, I just don't anticipate it being a problem. There is still a good amount of room for air to flow around the hitch. There is a decent amount of clearance between the hitch and the coolers as well. I would think that the aftermarket winch bumpers or even some of the grill guards I have seen would be just as restrictive.

Again, I just can't see it being a problem. I will be helping my father-in-law moving his swather, bailer and tractors later this summer so I will be giving it a good workout then. If I do notice anything I will be sure to post it up.

2012 Build Thread
My old 2011 Build Thread