DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: sliver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
hyman989 is on a distinguished road
Angry 4.7 to Hemi Swap

hello All,
First off- thank you for all your help with answering my questions, I know their are a lost of post, but i really want to know everything i will need to do
second a little history about my bad luck-
I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7 right now, after changing the spark plugs the wonderful head gaskets busted, thought i fixed them and now the truck is still pissing out coolant in more than one place, I'm really ready and thinking hard to keep putting money into the motor or just replace it with a hemi.
third- What would i need besides the Hemi motor, also if possible what is the best way to go in and finding the parts? from doing research i can see a 2003 will sync with my motor mounts and my transmission,
can i please get a list of what else i should look for or would a 2004 hemi motor work better with all the connects? lastly my dodge is eating up coolant left and right, i just filled it up 2 days ago and its already gone, i don't drive more than 15 miles a day.
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
stopjoshr is on a distinguished road

i believe you will need a NEW PCM and a new harness. not sure on the mounts but if they use the same tranny in the 4.7 that they do in the hemis then i dont think there would be an issue not sure.

i'd actually go look at a hemi and take notes pic and see if and what the difference is between the two
Old 06-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:412
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

If it's just a head gasket failure, I think I'd try to get that fixed then sell the truck. You can buy a used 03-05 Ram with hemi pretty cheap. I know guys have repowered v6 cars with hemis, but it was a heck of a job.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 06-06-2013, 10:36 AM

Vehicle: 03 Ram
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
SI Integra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
If it's just a head gasket failure, I think I'd try to get that fixed then sell the truck. You can buy a used 03-05 Ram with hemi pretty cheap. I know guys have repowered v6 cars with hemis, but it was a heck of a job.

Unfortunately, hydrex is right. It is really not cost effective. I considered it heavily when I replaced my 4.7.
It is very tempting, but honestly, the price of a used hemi powered truck s the parts you need to swap them and the time.labor involved. Not to mention the almost certain amount of "hiccups" that will impede you from a perfect transition into a hemi powered truck...
Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

It's a costly job. The transmission is physically the same, but I'm not sure that the pcm will cooperate. I know there are some differences between the transmissions(software, torque converter, etc). It'd be pretty easy physically, but the pcm, harness, tuning would be a royal PITA and expensive.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.