DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
TStoyles is on a distinguished road
Angry Screwed up exhaust!!

Ok,

Sooo I got a 2004 SCSB Hemi Ram. I bought the truck last year with only 45K miles on it. I fell in love with it. Ive always had trucks, mostly GM trucks except for a 98 dodge with the 318 that I sold. I've always put loud exhaust on all my motorized vehicles... trucks, bikes, ATV's, wifes /suv , guess you could kinda say its my calling card here in my local area, its what im known for.

So after I got the truck, I put a SI/DO Flowmaster super 44. just cut the factory exhaust off from the right in front of the muffler, removed all of that and welded the flowmaster up in place and just left it open...no pipe after.

Loved the sound. absolutely loved it! Got compliments constantly! Then one dark and gloomy day I got the bright idea to run pipe all the way out the back off the muffler. Had it put on and and it tucked inside the rear bumper and shot down in the corners. Loved the look. Looked real old school muscle car-ish. However, It quietened it down too much for my liking, but after spending $100 on the pipe install, I didn't really wanna just hack it back off. Rode like that for about 6 months.... until today. I live in a county that does not require emissions, figured I'd pull the cats off to try to bring back that deep loud rumble I sooo longed for again. Went to the local Autozone, bought 2 of their little pipe extensions and some non-foulers and got to work. took cats out and extensions welded in place. Done this to all my trucks in the past with fabulous results.

PROBLEM: Now I have this loud popping high pitched straight pipe noise. I know alot of people like the straight piped sound and thats cool. just not for me. I absolutley hate it. Come to find out, welds around the extensions are leaking, paid someone else $50 to try to seal them up, still leaking!

SO... I took the $100 pipe job off the muffler thinking maybe it was from that. Sound got a little deeper but still has the funky straight piped sound. Now my truck sounds like S*!T and my wife is pissed that I jacked up my "perfectly good" truck. Please give me some ideas/feedback on why im getting this ridiculous noise. This is my first post here on this site guys so i really want yall to impress me! LOL And may DTW rest in piece.
Sponsored links
Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Welcome to the forumz. You should pop into the Newbie Check-in and introduce yourself.

I hate to state the obvious but it sounds like you know what you have to do. If I followed correctly the only thing different about your exhaust now as compared to when you loved it is that the cats are missing. You're gonna have to suck it up and put em back. I seriously doubt anything else is going to get the tone that you want back. We have all probably completed a mod that we regretted at some point. Fix it back and be happy again.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: black
Rep:10
TStoyles is on a distinguished road

And I thought of that but in a complete idiotic stuper I jumped the gun and sold the cats at a local scrap yard to recoups the cost of all the welding jobs. So unless anyone has any stock cats they wanna let go of real cheap then I reckon I have royally F'd myself today! Momma ain't gonna be happy! LOL. Well.... That's really not funny...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500
Trim Level: express rcs 2wd
Color: mineral gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
abouttobeglue is on a distinguished road

Summit sells universal replacement cats, there's a few under 70 bucks.http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...tic-converters.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you just need a welder with skill. Removing the cats should not be an issue if done properly. Do you have a tuner? If not you need one.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouttobeglue View Post
Summit sells universal replacement cats, there's a few under 70 bucks.http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...tic-converters.
Yeah, you could go that route or maybe try to find some in a salvage yard somewhere? Or if you look long enough you might find someone that pulls their's off like you did to straight pipe or do high-flow replacements. Heck, post a WTB post here in the Classified section. You never know what some of these guys have laying around in their garages, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C. Express View Post
Sounds like you just need a welder with skill. Removing the cats should not be an issue if done properly. Do you have a tuner? If not you need one.
While it does sound like he is in need of a skilled welder, I don't think that's going to fix his problem. He might have an exhaust leak but I don't think that's the issue. My second car was a mid 90's Firebird V6. Beautiful car. I stuck a set of chrome Trans Am rims on it and it looked the part. Had a SI/DO Flowmaster put on it and it actually sounded a lot like a V8, especially at lower RPM. I got the bright idea to make it a little louder and had the cat replaced with a straight pipe. It sounded like a farting V6 afterward. Completely and totally changed the tone of the exhaust. It was awful.

Same thing here. Exhaust flowing through the cats changes the tone just like it does when it flows through the muffler. Getting the cats back in is the only thing that's going to get it back the way you want it.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:03 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

so you still have the flows on and it sounds like that still? can you make a sound clip/vid? I want to hear what it sounds like.. I've never been a fan of flows on hemi's but it's sound preference... does it sound anything like this?

http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/ch...tml?sort=3&o=8
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Rep:2767
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Its from removing the cats.. I am running super 44's .. I originally cut the pipe and resonator right after the muffler.. Was insanely ****ing loud.. but nice except when MDS kicked in. So paid to get it welded back on. more quiet.. but still loud.. Just gonna have to hunt for cats now.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters