DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: Cool Chrome
Color: Cool Vanilla
Rep:79
westxsrt10 will become famous soon enough

The best way to gain MPG is change your driving habits...save your money on mods. Act like there is a raw egg under the gas peddle and try not to break it. Inflate your tires to near max. pressures and buy real 100% gasoline.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:34
johnnyG is on a distinguished road

What has been said already. No mods improve mileage. You get an exhaust and CAI you like how it sounds and you end up revving more. Proper pressure maintenance and keeping the weight off the truck helps. Your driving is the worst killer. Warmup times and short trips are also bad for mpg. There isn't a hemi out there getting better than 16 mpgs in the city. And this topic has been beat to death so you can see for yourself in other threads and all around the net. 2000 will be wasted if used to improve mileage. 60-70 mph on the highway and never let it shift over 3000 rpm. Hope this helps
SC 3865, K&N CAI, Fastman TB, Magnaflow Y to 18", sonnax, Zeon LTZs, Bilstein HDs, LEDs everywhere, sylvania ZXE heads and fogs, shorty antenna, all aftermarket audio and subs, linex, ez down tailgate and lots and lots of love.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
gopackgo69 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
It takes a long time for these items to pay for themselves before you actually save money, think about it and do the math. Most of this stuff is installed because we just want them...The idea of better mpg's is the excuse we used to convince the wife or our selves.

The absolute best gas save is your right foot, it's the only method that will actually save you money without cost you some first!

PS: I have a bed cover on my current truck and I have had them on previous trucks and they DO NOT help mpg's in any way, that's BS! It does do a great job keeping things nice and dry!

I agree completely. The money spent compared to how long it takes to finally start saving money, isn't realized. The right foot plays the biggest part in fuel savings. In my experience a tuner on performance setting with 91-93 octane will give me a 2-3 mpg gain overall. i didn't buy the tuners for mpg, but for power. The extra mileage was just a plus.

Also I never saw an increase with cai's usually a slight decrease.

And one more thing to consider is a new torque converter. I have heard but don't have experience, is that a performance converter will improve mpg's
Old 03-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Rugged Brown Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:36
ltdan is on a distinguished road

My gas mileage went to crap when they started putting 10% ethanol in the gas here.
I had previously gotten 21.5 MPG on the highway, now I'm exited if I get it up to 18. Average 15.4-16.5

I have a Diablosport with the canned tune 87 and an exhaust too (not full exhaust, just replaced muffler and switched to dual pipes), but neither of those were purchased with the misconception of getting better mileage.