DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Am I going to set my truck on fire? (wiring question)

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Kris319 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to do this hood scoop led mod. The Hid kit I'm using on my fogs does not utilize the passenger side oem plug so I was hoping I could use it to power this led disaster. Below is a diagram (be gentle I did it on my tablet) of the wiring I have in mind.
My questions are:
  1. Is this possible/safe?
  2. What gauge wire should I use?
  3. Is there anything else I need/should use like a relay?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I can't see your wiring diagram its too small but LED's take very little current, all you need to do is setup your LED project and test it on your battery direct, this will make sure its not shorting against or with anything. Once you know your kit is working well, then you can wire it up to the plug, a standard Halogen bulb will pull around 4.5 - 5 amps, your LED's will never amount to that unless your putting in like 16 Cree super bright LED's. So no worries about plugging it into you passenger side plug.

I will tell you this, if you mess up and you short out that plug, there is a huge chance you will short out your TIPM unit, todays trucks do not have fuses for the front lights, so be careful, I would do it myself this way but you could also run it to a switch in the dash off the battery if you feel more safe. JMO

If your doing the 24 LED project in the fake vent mod, your going to be drawing about 1 amp per side, I would link those up to my parking lights, then you can have them on with only your park lights, would look nice, JMO

#4 ·
Idk how it is down in Florida but in Illinois having lights in a scoop when driving down the road is illegal.. my bad got ticketed for having a white rope light behind his grille, so that would be the only down side to having them in the fog lights is if Florida law prohibits it, as for the diagram yes it should work just make sure you connect to the correct pins in your plug so you are not back feeding. i would also consider putting in an inline fuse between your adapter plug and your leds

#13 ·
I'm looking to do this hood scoop led mod. The Hid kit I'm using on my fogs does not utilize the passenger side oem plug so I was hoping I could use it to power this led disaster. Below is a diagram (be gentle I did it on my tablet) of the wiring I have in mind.
My questions are:
  1. Is this possible/safe?
  2. What gauge wire should I use?
  3. Is there anything else I need/should use like a relay?
You have a lot of variables here so it is hard to answer.

There is a good post that you can follow, so I hope this helps.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=135333

Greg

#14 ·
I agree pretty much with everyone above. I tend to go over kill when it comes to circuit protection though. Due to my screw up, I melted down the entire wiring harness in a '91 Cavalier because I didn't install a relay or an in line fuse.... it wasn't pretty.

I know try to put a relay on pretty much anything that is going to handle more than 1-2 LEDs in any project that I take on. I especially do this if I'm using some other circuit as a "trigger" and not just as a convenient place to tap for power. I think the need for a fuse is fairly self evident.

I think that your set up pictured above will work just fine, though I'd add both an inline fuse and some sort of relay for the reasons that I just stated.

Just my opinion.

Good Luck

Exco

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.