DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Black tips??

4K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  macc08 
#1 ·
Aside from buying new exhaust tips, what are some ways, that will hold up over time, to change my chrome tips to black. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Here is my truck, gonna be all black eventually! Since this picture, I've installed black headlights and dipped the antenna and HEMI badge. Still to come include dipped front bumper and handles and dipped or painted grille...

See less See more
#5 ·
I tried that my first go around, it held dust like a magnet and it dont just peel off... it bakes on. I had to sand it off when i decided to use hi temp paint on them.

Hope this helps!!!

#7 ·
I considerd it but didn't know how well it'd hold up. And as shawnu said, it attracted dust and became baked on, so I think I'll steer clear of that.

I used high-temp ceramic spray paint. I prepped the metal with fine grit sand paper and applied 3-4 coats. Easy and much cheaper than buying black tips. Good luck !
Was it just out of a spray can? I have a can of black, but it's not "high-temp" so it might not hold up well. How long has it been since you painted your tips and how have they held up?

#11 ·
I considerd it but didn't know how well it'd hold up. And as shawnu said, it attracted dust and became baked on, so I think I'll steer clear of that.

Was it just out of a spray can? I have a can of black, but it's not "high-temp" so it might not hold up well. How long has it been since you painted your tips and how have they held up?

Yep, just the rattle can stuff I got at auto parts store, but did say "hi-temp" on can. Been on there now for about 1.5 years ... no cracks, peeling, etc.

#12 ·
Yep, just the rattle can stuff I got at auto parts store, but did say "hi-temp" on can. Been on there now for about 1.5 years ... no cracks, peeling, etc.
Awesome, I think i'll be doing this next chance I get. Could you post a pic of yours if you have one? If not, no big deal :smileup:

#6 · (Edited)
#8 ·
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...re-aerosol-paints/aluma-hyde-ii-prod1117.aspx

THIS!!!

Wash the part well, then spray. No other prep needed. Used it on my polished Magnaflows on the Magnum, and the stock exhaust on the work Charger. Pick your favorite black....

Also used it on the chrome trim ring around the shifter bezel in the Ram. Matte Black matches the black plastic trim perfectly!
How long has it been since you painted your tips and how well have they held up? Just curious if taking the extra time to sand the tips is worth it in the long run...

#14 ·
Heres mine. Rattle can hi temp from autozone.

Hope it helps!!
Visuals always help!! Looks great; how many coats did you do? I assume 1 can will be plenty for two tips? Mine are probably about 16" long, give or take. And did you just tape off the bumper?

#15 ·
Well with the 4th gens theres a ball type clamp a little before the tips and i just took them off to do it.

And 1 can will be plenty, i think i used 3-4 coats.

#16 ·
Well with the 4th gens theres a ball type clamp a little before the tips and i just took them off to do it.

And 1 can will be plenty, i think i used 3-4 coats.
That would be handy, but mine are welded on. I'm worried about being able to cover the tips completely because of how close they are to the rear bumper....:4-dontknow:

#17 ·
I could see how that would be a problem... best i could tell you is either take the bumper off...time consuming and PITA, or cut them off and have them re welded back on... i dont know what it runs around your neck of the woods but up here its only about 20-30 bucks.

#18 ·
I could see how that would be a problem... best i could tell you is either take the bumper off...time consuming and PITA, or cut them off and have them re welded back on... i dont know what it runs around your neck of the woods but up here its only about 20-30 bucks.
That's something I might have to look into.. Thanks for the idea!

#20 ·
anyone try just some black brake caliper paint? i used some of that stuff (red) on my previous car to paint the calipers, and it held up very well for the 2 years I had it.

also, any suggestions on taking the tips off? anyone try to use a chisel to break the spot weld where the tips are clamped on?

#24 ·
I can relate to that! My OCD kills me on things that shouldn't even really matter, like a slightly crooked parking permit sticker on my back glass :doh:

#26 ·
I plastidipped my stock tips, after a while they wouldn't come clean, tried to take the dip off, used goo gone, soaked them in nail polish remover, couldn't get it off so I just added more plastidip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.