DODGE RAM FORUM banner

5.2 to 5.9 swap

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Joeinblue 
#1 ·
hi I have a 99 dodge ram 1500 slt Laramie it is a 4x4 with a 5.2 magnum has the tranny cooler and tow package I really like this truck but want a bit more bang in both hp and torque I debateing on doing a swap but ive done one before but on my chevy lol it was a night mare I was wondering if anyone out there has accomplished this task and if soo give me some insight and a run down and as much info as possible and also peoples takes on is it worth the work or is there some magical way to make this 318 come to life please some one help

#2 ·
You have an electronic fuel injected motor. Anything that you do to get more power may need to modify the tune to get it to run right. I've seen some monster, procharged 408 strokers built and successfully tuned that ran like bats outta hell. I think SCT makes a tuner that will work on your motor. Not sure how far you can go without tuning. With the hemis, you can do a few things, but even a cam can cause problems.

#3 · (Edited)
Keep in mind that unless Chrysler made changes with the introduction of the Magnum engines, the 360 (5.9) is externally balanced, where the 318 is not. I found this out the hard way back in the early 1990s. I broke the crank in my 360, but had a running 318 that was ready to swap in. Everything bolted up, including the flywheel for my 4 speed in the Power Wagon. When I started the engine and reved it a little, I noticed the engine had a nasty vibration. I needed a 318 flywheel without the external balance. It was a lot of work for nothing.

I mention this because I have the 5.9 out of my 1994/1957 project and noticed there is a pretty good sized balance weight welded to my torque converter, and the flexplate is indexed to correspond with that weight. The 1994 flex plate does not have a balance weight on it, but the 1999 flex plate that came with my new motor does.

As long as you have the right parts, it will work.

-Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.