DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What muffler inlet/outlet size should I get?

52K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  TheSatinPumpkin 
#1 ·
So i was wrong about what size my muffler is thats on my truck right now. The inlet is 3in, and the outlet is 2.5in. Should i go with the same sizes on my new muffler? Which will be a Hooker Aero Chamber. Or should i go with different sizes? And what effect do the sizes have on the sound?

#2 ·
You can go with that setup, the length of the muffler may be the difference in the sound. You could also go 3" all the way out for a little better sound.

#4 ·
first of all, if your getting into your exhaust
where your pipes come down from your exhaust manifolds, put in a quality X pipe, not something that flattened out to make for an easy factory install

3" inch in, dual 2.5 inch out is the better flow

#6 ·
si/so go with 3" on both ends... try to use a straight through muffler instead of chambered..our hemi's like to breathe..

#7 ·
what yankee means is Y pipe..they are cheap... look at your stock one and see where the piping after the cats meet where it goes to a single pipe... if it's anything like the 3rd gens, they pinch it to go to a single pipe...that is the bottleneck in our exhaust...

#9 ·
Size matters

Well form what i have researched, size does matter. The bigger the pipe ran, the better sound and more horse power, but to the same extent, if you go to big you are going to lose horsepower, and end up hurting your truck more. so a 3" pipe should do the job perfectly. To the same extent though you have to look at whether or not you are going to have an H or X pipe, again it depends on your application, or if you are going to put headers on it instead of your exhaust manifolds. i dont know if this helps any but thats pretty much every thing i've learned minus exhaust systems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.