DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Fender cutting, Big cuts??

51K views 125 replies 19 participants last post by  Mr.Duc 
#1 ·
New to the board, taken a look around, and I still cant find the answer to a few fender cutting questions.

Has anyone done a relatively small lift 4-6” and then cut the fenders to make room for 40” tires.

Are the currently available fibreglass fenders going to do the trick with the same 4-6" lift and 40” tires??

Has anyone done this and actually made the front flare work properly???

Yes, it has to look good as well; this is no pvc pipe snorkel project.

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Damn that truck looks really mean! I do not think anyone on this forum has attempted anything like that before. I may be wrong but I have not seen anything like that on here.

It would take a very good body man to make that look really good. I would go with a 6" lift and then take it too the wheel wells. At least with a 6" you wont take as much out than you would with the 4".

That does look really serious though! You would have to get custom fender flares as well.

Well good luck to you man! If you get that done post some pics!!! that would look bad ass!!

#4 · (Edited)
I sent in a e-mail to bushwacker, they said:

"Thank you for your interest in Bushwacker products.

They do look like our Cut Outs for the Ford Super Duty. I haven't seen these pictures before now. I would think that a good plastic welder can modify them to work on your Dodge."

Just to protect bushwacker; I have taken this out of context, I was clear in my e-mail that I had no problems taking responsibility for cutting my truck apart as well as buying extra flares if needed. Please dont take the quote to mean anyone can just slap ford super duty flares on a dodge.

I am trying to get the info needed for the plastic welder and then I will order a set of flares. Once the flares are done then I will see what kind of tires I can fit with just a levelling kit.

#6 · (Edited)
I talked with Bushwacker and they currently have no intentions to make cut out flares for the 03 + dodge. I have ordered a set of super duty flares and I have a guy ready to modify them to fit properly. When it’s done, If it looks right, I will provide a way to reach the guy who does my flares.

It will be at least another month before I start the project but I will provide pictures as I go.

Fibreglass: Because of the area I 4X4 and the cost of silver paint I will be buying plastic flares. I plan to have two sets made. I can also have the plastic welded if they crack. This kind of versatility is more of what I was looking for.

I think this will be a slow slow month...watching the clock.

#8 ·
I went in to the shop I order from and it will not be until September 1st-15th for the flare arrival. Something to do with inventory

Some updates. The fender on my 2004 truck has a smaller light so it will fit better than the 2006+ body style. You can see in the 2007 body style in the pictures I posted. I have also talked with the body guy and the fender trimming will require reinforcement near the door area. I will have it done in a way that will produce a "part" that could be copied for future interests. According to the powers that be, welding and manipulating fenders can often leave them several different shades of black. If this happens I will rhino hide or line x the flares when they are finished.

Otherwise, I still wait ...and wait....and wait...

#9 ·
Sounds like an awesome idea!! :smileup: can't wait to see pictures of it when it is done!! sucks on the waiting, im in a bit of a jam myself!

#10 ·
I found another shop that will get them to me sooner. Flying them in from Blaine Washington, I think. I was told as soon as this Thursday/ Friday. To be sure I dont jinx it I'm shooting for monday Tuesday. As soon as I get the flares I will take some pixs to give you an idea of how much messing around will be required.

I have ordered the rear flares with no gas cap notch so I can make my own if I have to.

The body man said this could take a bit of messen around, to me this means alot of beer and walking around the truck thinking. First we will centre them for the fit and drill some holes to mount them from the top. That way they are hanging true when we start modifying them, or the truck.

I foresee making a special part to replace the front fender up to a point. could be interesting.

The fun part will be the new opening and my tiny tires. Should look very silly at first. I want to see about 38" tires with just the flares. Then I plan on a lift and 40-42" tires.

The rest of my build I will do on a separate thread.

Even a few days is killen me. Nothing like working on the truck to make a grown man feel like a kid again.

#11 ·
Flares arrived yesterday!!! :SHOCKED: I was able to pick them up today. I have to give props to the local shop in Victoria B.C SHC for getting right on my problem of waiting. I know I shouldn't be plugging a non advertising shop but these guys did this in one day!! WOW. Even they were surprised.

Pictures on the way. Downloading them from my phone right now. I can already see 3 areas that need custom work. Calling the welder and body man today.

#15 ·
Far from started. I just stuffed the flare onto the fender opening. I will be removing alot of fender before I'm done. That is where the body man comes in. The plastic welder will modify the flares. I had given the plastic welder a different time line so I will be cutting the fenders first.

Instead of cutting off the inner flaps of the flares I will be folding them in. This way I can maximize the opening but also maintain some of the rigidity.

Big cuts and fab pictures coming soon.

#16 · (Edited)
Started measuring.

In the pic you will be looking at the backside of the flares pockets. each is about 1 1/2 inches. you should also be able to see the inside / backside of flare seam. Instead of cutting that off I will be having it folded in right up to the pocket bases. This way the flare is strong as well as giving the maximum amount of room.

So far it looks like the fender can be restructured near the door to accept the flare without any extra parts or mounts. Beer and pizza day tomorrow, should clear up any uncertainties.

[url=http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/showphoto.php/photo/3790][/URL]

[url=http://www.ramforumz.com/PHOTOPOST/showphoto.php/photo/3791][/URL]

#25 ·
To maximize the gains at the firewall side of the fender I will have to modify the flare quite a bit. For me this extra cutting will not be a problem, but I guess this is why most have not done the mod. The space gained is a full 2 1/4 ". Not alot, but enough to make the 40's fit with a 4" lift. I'm going all the way to the tub. The pinch seam will be bent over. If I had to I would modify the tub. I could get up to 4" if I modified the tub.

#19 ·
not alot of people like really big lifts though. personally anything over 8" is overkill if its a street truck. there is a chitty chevy around 01 that comes to where i work thats lifted and has 42's and its just way too much. (it also has stacks on a gas job) i think this build will turn out great

#20 ·
LMAO!! I HATE people who put stacks on gas trucks!!.....anyways..if your gonna put big tires on your gonna need the extra clearance. If your spend hundreds to thousands on making big tires fit, just think how much your gonna spend when you it a bump and the tires slam in the upper wheel weel. Im not saying its gonna happen to the person getting all this done, but it does happen. Thats why I kinda shake my head at people who tuck 35's on a 1500 with just a leveling kit. But hey, its whatever, its fine if its just your daily driver, its just kinda a waste IMO.

#21 ·
the only gas truck that deserves stack is the Dodge Lil Red Express ! but yeah i understand what you mean there. when i do a 6" next year after winter im either doing 285's or 305's whichever look and work best. but i think he has put thought into this build before he started doing it. it would be a shame to spend all that money just to destroy his ram

#23 · (Edited)
I repaired my post a bit...it was sent on a early morning with no sleep and a little too much beer for an old man. I know what I'm doing it will be done right.

I remember back in the day when Petersen's off road ( I think) had a article or a readers ride that was a late 70’s or early 80’s blazer. The blazer was running 44's, cut fenders and very minimal lift. That truck had been a inspiration for a long time when it came to offroad and prowess. Jacking up a truck is not free and nore is opening up the fenders.

My estimated cost at this point:
Flares: 700.00 cdn
Body work: Case of beer and a few dollars for a friend…don’t get me wrong I could do the work but my friend is much much better at rolling the fender edge.

Plastic welding of precut and ready to weld flares..15.00 an hour. This guy is busy it could take up to two or three weeks from drop off to finish to get the final product. The picture is of a plastic weld.
[/IMG]

So maybe my cost could reach 1200.00 cdn in total. Now go look at any 12" lift kit or the cost of fibreglass flares after prep and paint. Remember my truck is silver. Silver paint is more expensive to get done.

I did think of the value of the rig. Then I look at this pic . I'm sorry but the prototype had plastic flares for a reason, fibreglass and crazy sky high lifts just dont cut it. Thats my opinion, not a hack on yours.

#26 · (Edited)
Cutting happens monday evening ( tomorrow) I will try and get decent pictures.

We are going to do the drivers side first and this way we can work out all the bugs on the one corner. I will be making a template of the flare out of the box they came in. Sorry no pics for now might have to wait until tomorrow night or even as late as Wednesday afternoon.

I am so glad someone had started this process before me. I would never had thought of using the ford flare on the dodge.

basics of cutting info.. I have talked with a body man I know and he is willing to do this on the side in trade for me helping him. We will use primer after each cut. In my opinion it is very very Important to protect this thing after each cut and bending the pinch seam. Plan to inject the pinch seam with primer right before I bend it over.

Thats the plan we will see how it turns out.

P.S I almost forgot, I plan to paint bed liner over the flare area before the last install of the flare. This is to stop the flare from rubbing the paint down to bare metal. The bed liner paint will be the paint going over the inner primer as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.