DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Installing headers?

7K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Nutsandboldts05 
#1 ·
Abyone here install shorty headers on a 4.7 Ram? I have an '06 4X4 and want to install headers. I see Gibson sells some for $350 that are direct replacement for the manifolds. Is it easy? Or are there some obsticles? I've installed headers on older vehicles, but never a computer controlled vehicle. I guess I'm just saying, never on my daily driver that cost $17k! :SHOCKED: Only on $2-3k cars, so I'm a bit nervous about it. Next I want to change the cams to the 212, and finally, 4.56 gears (35" tires)

#6 ·
#7 ·
i just installed a set of JBA stainless steel shortys on my 05 and they fit real good in the chassis and every where else. the only problem i had was that the passenger side header sat back about 3 inches to far. i just cut the exhaust after the cat and am gonna run it like that till i get to an exhaust shop to have the cats cut out and have it done right ;) other then that i like the look and sound especially coming straight out the headers

#12 ·
Gotcha but man that doesn't seem right. Mine's quad cab (2wd) with heavy AT tires too...My dad has an 05 4.7L single cab and it feels much slower than mine but I don't think it's 14 second 0-60 slow lol. I think even my wife's aveo could beat that lol.

Glad you saw some improvement with the exhaust and tune :).

#14 ·
diablo or superchips?

I think for your year engine it's around a 20-30hp gain. The 93 SC tune on the 2008 and newer 4.7L adds 61hp and 66lb ft according to SC. Diablo is advertising around 20hp/30lbft IIRC on all years of the 4.7L.

#17 ·
I was considering putting these JBA headers on my '05 quad cab with the 4.7L as well. My 0-60 doesn't feel that slow though. I also just received a Diablo Sport in the mail, but the seller never sent me the computer cables, so I had to buy some and i'm waiting on those in the mail now, before I can actually apply the tune to my truck. Anyway, I bought my truck almost 6 months ago and it had a single in dual out exhaust set up. Although it sounds awesome, I don't feel as if it's really giving me a huge performance gain. So I'm planning to go through and replace exhaust components, on a as needed basis only, and upgrade to better stuff. I only plan to keep the truck for 2 years or so though, so I don't plan to sink big bucks into it unless something needs to be replaced. That newer body style is just so hard to say no to, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold it off haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.