DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Video and pics of center console w/shifter install

23K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  Ortizjl52 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am making the attempt to upload a video of a HOW TO INSTALL A CENTER CONSOLE W/ SHIFTER -- the video is only 13 minutes long and youtube sez its got 600 minutes for upload !!! wow -- looks like I will attach the video later , but while I have the time I wanted to do the write up .

I took a 2011 longhorn center console that I got used and installing it in my 2010 ram SLT.

tools needed

7mm , 10mm , 13mm , 18mm sockets
torx bit 20 , 25
torx bit screw drivers
phillips screwdriver
plastic pry tools
clip removal tool
pick set

parts needed

neautral safety wire harness extension

floor shift cable

floor shift cable bracket on transmission

LT & RT console front side covers

steering column covers

in the video I go over the best I can from start to finish what things are and what I am doing.

here are a couple pics of it done

hopefully the video will be done by the morning and I ill attach it .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x5PQpuzmqM

See less See more
Reactions: Kamanhart
#2 ·
the column covers I got were the wrong ones -- they were with the hole for the column shifter and I already ordered the correct ones that will take about 5 minutes to install.

also need a wire harness that goes to the outlets and other plugs in the center console not sure where that even comes from under the dash. but I will figure it out.

I think I cover everything in the video .

#4 ·
you have to search around for used consoles -- junk yards , ebay , craigslist , forums

part and part#'s

neutral safety switch wire harness -- 68024883AC -- list $24.50

floor shift cable -- 52855956AG -- list $66.10

transmission bracket for shift cable -- 52109706AC -- list $21.45

LT front corner closure panel -- 1HR97DK2AC -- list $37.45

RT front corner closure panel -- 1HR96DK2AC -- list $37.45

steering column cover I will list correct part # when I get them this week , and the other wire harness I need .

the center console you can find from $450 to $900 -- depends on what condition it is in .

#5 ·
Looks really good:smileup:! I would LOVE to do this mod, but it's just too expensive to justify for me. I guess I'll have to troll around for a steal on a console, might be awhile:sad:.

#7 ·
I found mine at a junk yard off of a wrecked truck -- the console RT side panel was broken and the inner was cracked -- I paid $450 -- so they are out there -- call your local junk yards and ask them to find one for you .

the RT side panel cost me $49.80 with my discount.

and the inner crack -- no one will ever see it , its very hard to see anyways.

#8 ·
yea the stupid video is only 24% done so far -- :4-dontknow:

after I got the cable and bracket correct , I moved the shifter through the gears about 4-5 times with no issues , then i moved it around my driveway and things were fine.

I dont expect any issues :smileup:

#9 ·
thats great. glad to see a thorough write up on how everything comes together. I would love to do this, but like mentioned before, TOO expensive to justify right now. I have too many other upgrades that I would rather get done first.

#11 ·
thats great. glad to see a thorough write up on how everything comes together. I would love to do this, but like mentioned before, TOO expensive to justify right now. I have too many other upgrades that I would rather get done first.
in the video I really tried to be specific as to what I was doing and what you are looking at .

and I hear you on the cost -- you just have to be a salesman with the junk yards - the prices are not in stone -- ask if they have it in stock , then the price is really up for grabs , but if they have to buy it from another yard , then they have to make a buck too .

#12 · (Edited)
video upload has failed twice ??

its 13 minutes , trying to upload on youtube which I have other short videos , I changed it to a mpeg4 which youtube supports because it was a mp4 .

photobucket sez the file is too large to upload there.

can anyone help ?

#13 · (Edited)
finally got the video to upload

sorry it took so long , what a pain in the azz -- video was 1.6gig in HD so I had to find a program to make it smaller so I could upload it .

I dont see the EDIT button one the first post of this thread so I can add the video there ?? can a MODERATOR place it there for me ? or is it locked out after 24 hrs ?

so here it is , hope you guys like it

if you cant watch on full screen , on the bottom right of the video just click the youtube icon and you can make if full screen from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x5PQpuzmqM&feature=youtu.be

#14 ·
Very nicely done!
:rep:

#15 ·
thank you -- it was harder uploading the video and figureing out how to do that then it was installing the center console :doh: :LOL:

#16 ·
Nice video and instructions. Just curious if you're getting rid of that center bezel

#17 ·
Nice video and instructions. Just curious if you're getting rid of that center bezel
thanks

I am going to see if anyone wants the whole set up together , its just nice to swap and have everything you need in one shot .

I dont plan on seperating the stuff - but if I find that another member wants other pieces then I will seperate .

#19 ·
anyone know how to get the video attached to the first post of this thread ?

looks like after 24 hours you cannot edit a post ?

#20 ·
Video is now up in original post :D

#22 ·
...again, wow what an effort..just had to say nice job

#24 ·
thanks -- I am very happy with it -- looks awsome .

I must have reached for the column shifter every time I needed to shift -- its going to take a couple days to get used to the shifter being on the console now.

:doh:

I am thinking I want to paint the silver pieces the same color of the truck now .

Reactions: RansRAM
#25 ·
So I was very curious on what was involved to actually do this so I watched the entire video. I must say I am very impressed that you were able to do this. I'm also surprised that only one member has given you reps. So for all the hard work and taking the time to make the video here are some more well deserved reps for you. Great Job !!! :rep:

#26 ·
So I was very curious on what was involved to actually do this so I watched the entire video. I must say I am very impressed that you were able to do this. I'm also surprised that only one member has given you reps. So for all the hard work and taking the time to make the video here are some more well deserved reps for you. Great Job !!! :rep:
thank you so very much -- all the work pays off with compliments and when it helps someone save money and do it themselves .

It was actually very easy , you can see by the video , the main thing is to have all the parts and tools required to complete the job .

Reactions: brentwood
#31 ·
adding a picture of the shifter cable bracket that goes to the transmission

the steering column covers and the power inverter for the radio bezel all came in today -- that finishes everything off .

the column covers part # -- 1GE44GTVAB -- lists $52.85

inverter outlet part # -- 5082095AB lists $14.60

inverter bezel part # -- 1JR73DX9AA lists $18.75

youi have to remember that the last letters in the part numbers are the interior color , so the numbers that I have listed are all for TAN interior.

#33 ·
only thing that I still need is the front wiring harness to the front cig lighter and the othe r plug --

can anyone tell me if the shifter letters P,D,R.N light up ?? I am guessing that is what the other harness does , plus it makes the radio input on the rear of the console work too , I guess ??

#34 ·
I somehow missed the outer vents in silver -- saw it this morning -- painted the thisafternoon -- looks great --

they just popout pretty easily .

#36 ·
the pick set I am referring to are small screwdriver type tools that have different ends -- straight point -- 90 degree point -- curved point ..

#38 ·
super easy and the best way to do it ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.