DODGE RAM FORUM banner

RCX installed.. now more problems. HELP!!

3K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  fastNugly @ RP 
#1 ·
After two weekends of problems and ordering new lower control arms I finally got my 6" RCX lift on. However.... I noticed at full lock the spindle comes into contact with the spring. When turning the tire I hear almost low pitch popping noise.
also between 15 to 25 mph i have a HARD shudder. Like the truck is going to come apart.
I did the install and followed the directions to the T. Please help i really dont want to take this to a shop. Anybody ever have these problems??:3-angry1:

oh this is on a 07 dodge ram 1500 4x4

#7 · (Edited)
First as i see your CV angle are too high and the rear diff angle not top notch, many guys running RCX lift have diff drop bracket problem , seem that RCX didnt put the right bracket in the kit thats causing vibration in low speed..Second , put the truck into a good 4X4 shop and do a proper alignment is very important or you gonna have handling issue, and i mean a GOOD shop,my truck has pass two alignment and its still not good, has for the coil hitting the spindle well im learning toward not the good spindle for the kit or something installed wrong?

You running Bilstein 5100 on wich setup?? 2.1-2.8??Because not all lift kit work with bilstein shock , if the lift kit is putting angle and you add leveling shock your over extending your front end and too much angle!I Know that BDS lift and other are working with bilstein in 2.1-2.8 but they primaly put stock angle on front end but i dont know if RCX can work with them at max setting...

#3 ·
As far as the spindle hitting the spring I'm going to say there's not much you can do about it. Unless something was installed wrong? :4-dontknow: I would contact RCX on that one.

The popping sound when you turn makes me thing you have something installed wrong.... It shouldn't be doing that. I would start with checking your CV shafts making sure they're in correctly and then check the ball joints and tie rod ends.

As far as the shutter goes, how does the rear pinion angle look? That's what would likely cause the shutter. Post a picture of that up so we can take a look. The front one looks very similar to how mine was.

#4 ·
I've sent Rough country an email. I'm positive everything is installed correctly. I checked everything twice and my buddy was too. I never took the CVs out the front diff and I know they are properly engaged.

It wouldn't bother me but the noise tells me something is definitely wrong. As for the shudder... ive heard ppl have this and RCX sent new drop brackets to correct it.

Once I get my new wheels im gonna take it to get aligned and have it looked over! Hopefully rough country gets back with me

#5 ·
decided to take the truck to a parking lot to kinda see when was going on. from the picture you can see the truck has a severe toe-in and both tires point in when the steering wheel is straight. This is eating my tires up so im assuring this is where the noise is coming from. How can i fix this?? Will they fix this when i go to get it aligned??

Problem #2.. i found how the truck is shaking. Had my girlfriend drive between 15-25 and saw that the CV's start shaking!! What the hell is causing this? I have never ever heard of this.

anybody?

#8 ·
Ya, what do you have your Bilsteins set at? Looks way too high, those angles are ridiculous. Then your obvious second problem is the alignment, or lack there of. You definitely need to go get that done before fully knowing how it will act. But your Bilsteins need to come down before you get it aligned.....

I'd still like to see your rear pinion angle to see how that looks. That could have a big affect on the shutter as well.

#9 ·
When you reinstalled the lower control arms, did you make sure to match the cam bolts and lobes? you can save yourself a lot of trouble if you marked where the hole was in the cam bolts when you removed them. If not it will be corrected after a good alignment but thats one reason why you have a bad toe in I bet.

#10 ·
Since im an 07 my Bilsteins are set max @ 2". Which im going to have to go down to 1" or less because my truck is sitting nose high 1" right now. Hopefully this will help correct the vibration. I tried to contact RCX but apparently theyre too busy to help me... Not sure if the problem is the terrible angle of the CV or angles else where. What options do i have to fix this vibration??
1)lower Bilsteins
2)different diff bracket???
3) take kit off:SHOCKED:

As for alignment..no i didnt mark the old lower cam bolts cause i planned on getting it aligned asap. I noticed that one side only touches the spring at full lock and the other touches about half way into turning. which makes me think an alignment would give me proper clearance and lowering the Bilsteins would also help on spring compression.

Plan:
1) Drop Bilsteins to 1" or less
2) Get good alignment with new rims and tires
3) determine if death wobble is still present

#12 ·
Installed the same kit on my 07 , your CVS are angled way too much, as for spindles contacting the spring, did you put the strut extensions on the right way? My spindles don't look curved like yours are.

#15 ·
Definitely put the bilsteins down and then try that. That should fix your cv angle and hopefully the shuddering.. As for the knuckle hitting the spring, mine doesnt come close, and I double checked, my knuckle is curved like yours. Id check to make sure you put the the strut extensions that go on the top of your strut the right way. They are slanted, and should only be installed the right way.

#16 ·
Talked with Marty and Dany over at RCX and they both said drop the bilsteins down too. I think this is causing me to contact the springs because it is pulling the upper arm all the way down. And once I get an alignment I think this will give me more clearance from the spring too.

Thanks for the help guys I owe ya! And special thanks to Andrew over at Bullys.. im he's tired of my crap haha
I'll keep ya posted on the results!!

#18 ·
Worked on my truck last night and adjusted my struts. Drove her this morning and.... she rides like black beauty haha so lesson to everybody else plan on buying new lower control arms and don't crank your Bilsteins all the way. Get tires on Monday and will start a new thread. Thanks to every one who helped me out!!

#22 ·
I would get the trucks alignment done correctly first and drive it for a week to give the suspension time to settle in before I would get new tires and wheels. If something is still installed wrong adding new tires and wheels will only compound the chances of finding and fixing the problems. JMO.

#23 ·
I set my Bil 5100's to the lowest setting which maybe .5" or stock but now my truck is raked about .75". when i had them maxed out i was nose high about .75" high and looked/drove terrible.

already drove the truck around all yesterday. No noise, no grinding, no hot tires, no vibration.

Taking her in sometime this week for an alignment. Wheels come Monday!!! Im like a damn kid at christmas time haha Now just need tuner, step bars, flares, bumper and exhaust!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.