DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ram Engineering Chat

22K views 49 replies 26 participants last post by  massauto 
#1 ·
Ram Engineers are hosting a chat tomorrow, Wednesday, December 8 at 6:30 pm EST, focused on Ram Trucks, including HEMI and the new Power Wagon. :smileup:

GO TO THE FULL CHAT ARCHIVE!

#2 ·
kewl, I'll be there. Any rules we have to abide by, such as submitting questions to a moderator, etc?

#8 ·
Since this chat is hosted by them, I do not have any rules but we should all be respectful and handle ourselves as adults. That would be my only rule for Z members.

I was not forwarded any quidelines or anything. Just try to keep on topic for the chat. Which is the RAM Product line. Not Viper, not SRT, not Chrysler.

#9 ·
Very cool, definitely appreciate the opportunity. :)

- Cajun

#14 ·
interesting!

#15 ·
hmmm seing as how i drive a 89 Ram, my questions might be a bit outdated!... lol but i will try to attend anyways, maybe a new Ram is in my future! i notice them everywhere when i drive now, and its like DAM THATS NICE.... i want one!... lol

#16 ·
Would have liked to, but it will be 4:30 pm here in Calgary, and I'll still be at work, probably fixing some broken down Gm or Ford product, but knowing I'll be able to drive my Ram home afterwards.... tee hee....

Dear Silver Eagle, would you like rotors that wear out quicker, or hard noisy squealing brakes with asbestor pads, we aren't in the 1980's any more, I can't comment on the rotors you have as you didn't give much info of your concerns, but I presume that you presume they are cheap because they haven't behaved as you expected, have you had the hardness tested and the uniformity of the grain examined (yes metal does have grain under a microscope), as a mechanic I have had no issues with the brakes on my 2009 Ram even when towing our 26 foot trailer, and they can pull the truck up quicker than a lot of vehicles nearly half the weight. If you explain your situation in detail then as a few of us are technicians we could probably give you some clarity.

Here's a question someone may want to ask the engineers regarding the MDS, why is it that before the Hemi reaches op' temp I can cruise uphill at 30 -50km/h (ambient air temp 10 degrees celcius or colder), with the MDS coming in, and yet cruising at 90 km/h on a flat road with no headwind and once in MDS will jump back out if I happen to so much as twitch my foot (ambient temp could be 30 or minus 30 doesn't seem to make much difference).
I know there is a software update for those who complain that the MDS engage/disengage is too noticable for their liking (Pussy's), I actually prefer some "Feel" and the 4 cylinder rumble lets me know that it's engaged, and I can even tell now when it's about to come in, it almost sounds like it's 1/2 in or running on 6 cylinders.

Also, when are we going to finally see a smaller diesel for the 1500's, that could also be used in Derango's Jeeps and Dakota's etc.

#20 · (Edited)
Would have liked to, but it will be 4:30 pm here in Calgary, and I'll still be at work, probably fixing some broken down Gm or Ford product, but knowing I'll be able to drive my Ram home afterwards.... tee hee....

Dear Silver Eagle, would you like rotors that wear out quicker, or hard noisy squealing brakes with asbestor pads, we aren't in the 1980's any more, I can't comment on the rotors you have as you didn't give much info of your concerns, but I presume that you presume they are cheap because they haven't behaved as you expected, have you had the hardness tested and the uniformity of the grain examined (yes metal does have grain under a microscope), as a mechanic I have had no issues with the brakes on my 2009 Ram even when towing our 26 foot trailer, and they can pull the truck up quicker than a lot of vehicles nearly half the weight. If you explain your situation in detail then as a few of us are technicians we could probably give you some clarity.

Here's a question someone may want to ask the engineers regarding the MDS, why is it that before the Hemi reaches op' temp I can cruise uphill at 30 -50km/h (ambient air temp 10 degrees celcius or colder), with the MDS coming in, and yet cruising at 90 km/h on a flat road with no headwind and once in MDS will jump back out if I happen to so much as twitch my foot (ambient temp could be 30 or minus 30 doesn't seem to make much difference).
I know there is a software update for those who complain that the MDS engage/disengage is too noticable for their liking (Pussy's), I actually prefer some "Feel" and the 4 cylinder rumble lets me know that it's engaged, and I can even tell now when it's about to come in, it almost sounds like it's 1/2 in or running on 6 cylinders.

Also, when are we going to finally see a smaller diesel for the 1500's, that could also be used in Derango's Jeeps and Dakota's etc.

When I got my truck new only after 1600 miles the rear brake on the right side had deep groves in it. I took it back to the dealer .They said it was normal wear.Then after I told them the brakes were chattering in the front I got the same answer. So before the 12,000 were up I went back a fourth time and they replaced the front rotors and pads. They did nothing to the rear rotors. Last year I finally got tired with fighting with Dodge and I went to a Wholesale warehouse locally and got heavy duty rotors and Pads. No more problems. They were made by Raybestos. total cost less then $500.00 installed and not by Dodge.It's not just Dodge that has the problem Both of my PT Cruisers have had the same problems in the front. All have been replaced with Raybestos rotors and Pads.

#17 · (Edited)
Ok, One more question for the engineer guys.

I know a lot of work has gone into the transmission and I understand some of the reasons why it may be so (a mechanic that also spent three years as an engineering department quality assurance inspector at a transmission factory in Australia).
This has to do with the tow/haul feature, when towing our 26ft travel trailer, trailer and water/load etc (including weekend bagage for one wife and two daughters....) equals around 5500 lb's, I'm pretty happy with the way the truck pulls it, except when sitting at around 90 - 100km/hr we hit a bit of a rise, and instead of easing out of lockup, back and then holding 4th (not labouring much, hardly seems it's working hard at all), when it hits 80 km/h it drops back to 3rd, and the poor engine is running almost 4000rpm a jump of around 1,300 rpm, so I back the foot off, let it run at 70km/h until the road levels out and then it decides to upshift which is a fairly long 1-2 seconds, kinda reminds me of the old Gm powerglides when they were worn, however on subsequent trips on the same road and other similar grades (not steep) I drop it into normal shift mode and she pulls up the hill no worries in 4th and even 4th TCC lockup.

(Yes.... I can hear you all.... you know who you are.... you Diesel guys with the 2 story tri-axle 5th wheels that round me up doing 130km/h.... :eek:P ...)

Now, is this because the shift patterns were designed for the possibility of heavier trailers than what I'm pulling??? If so, are there any worries with me just leaving it in normal mode, which then becomes a bit painful because it presumes I'm not towing and the MDS and 5th TCC lockup plays havok as they come in and out all the time.
I've learnt to drive it between the two and doesn't worry me that much, but am still curious.

Cheers all and have a good meeting

#23 ·
seems to be a little different than I thought. Right now, looks like you submit your own questions + comments. Maybe its because it's still early.

#26 ·
In the chat, I've asked most of the questions that we're posted by absent members above. Will advise if the Engineers comment in regards to those questions.

#27 · (Edited)
i'm curious as to why if the 6.1L push rods when used in the 5.7 Hemi, the Hemi Tick is quieted
Why don't the engineers put the 6.1 push rods in the 5.7 themselves?

i will be doing a job at the time of the chat, or i would ask myself

#36 ·
i'm curious as to why if the 6.1L push rods when used in the 5.7 Hemi, the Hemi Tick is quieted
Why don't the engineers put the 6.1 push rods in the 5.7 themselves?

i will be doing a job at the time of the chat, or i would ask myself
This was the response from the engineers for this question.

""...we're not aware that there was any such response. We made some calls, but couldn't get any technical details on the difference between the two push rods. (not sure that there is anything significant). We'll follow up. Gregg ""

#29 ·
Why Is the Dodge truck so bad on Gasoline. I have a Hemi. 4x4 Quad Cab .In the summer I get 13 to 14 most of the time, in the winter when the oil refineriers switch over to a higher vapor pressure gas the mileage drops to 10 or 11 miles per gallon. I changed over to a high tire and I picked up a few more miles per gallon. Why didn't these tires come stock on the truck. It had 265/70/17. I put on 265/75/17in a street tire design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.