DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need to know what LEDs fit your truck?

199K views 482 replies 185 participants last post by  RustyWhite 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, since it seems to be sort of hard to find LED guides for our trucks, were banding together and creating an ALL Generation LED bulb guide. Also we will include HIDs to make everyones life a little easier. If you have read through a bulb replacement guide you will notice that most of the LEDs bulb # is the same as the halogen bulb number say from PepBoys or Autozone.

Here is a good link also to try and figure out what sort of bulbs you need for ANY vehicle. They way they create their list can be slightly confusing though, LINK, feel free to PM me if you need additional help, Im happy to spec LEDs for any vehicle you'd like.

If you have a list of bulbs to add and high resolution pictures to upload with them please send me a PM or post and I will update this until we have a full listing for everyones truck!!

A little more on reading into LEDs as well, as I have seen most suppliers label their LEDs the same way. We will use the most popular "921" bulb

The p/n for a blue 921 as seen in the pictures below is, 921-B12:

921 <--refers to the bulb type B <-- refers to the color 12 <-- refers to the ammount of LEDs in the bulb

another example would be a red version for the third brake light which would read:
921-R12

Also remember LEDs are polarized, meaning they will only work one way. If you plug your brand new LED in and it doesnt work, pull it out and insert it the other way before making an angry phone call to the supplier!

4th Gen LEDs
Reverse - 921
Cargo Lights/Top mount break light - 921
Map lights - 921
Dome light - 4410
License plate - 194
Tail lights / Brake lights- 3157
Front turn signal / Side marker - 3157

4th Gen HIDs
Quad lights
High beams - 9005/HB3
Low beams - H11

Dual lights
High/Low - H13/9008

Fog lights
(regardless of headlights)
H10/9145/9140

Example of 4th gen interior/exterior with complete LED bulb replacement

stock vs HID​

See less See more
#253 ·
Did anyone figure out how to do the dash lights? I am tired of the random green they threw in these... I mean green? REALLY? My black ram truck with no green what so ever except the blade of grass stuck on the tire has green interior lights AND IT BOTHERS THE LIVING ... OUT OF ME. I want them to be white SO BAD. I mean hell with how much I hate blue lights on cars I would rather have those than the GREEN. I NEED TO CHANGE THEM!
:LOL:

#254 ·
I hope your talking about those blue under body lights and not my reverse lights or we're gonna have a problem here
Jchaney :box: IDWB

lol jk bud, Honestly it was something SS4Luck was looking into doing at one point but it's actually a HUGE PITA even after you take your dash apart. He told me one guy on the Z has done it but didn't say who and did advise against the mod... :4-dontknow: But If I could I'd switch them to blue :LOL:

#255 ·
Hey guys...I am new to the Dodge truck scene...had been driving a Ford F150 and have been seeing how nice the Dodge trucks were, decided to buy a 2009 4x4 Lariat with 60K miles, I did buy it from a dealership so I probably paid too much for it...but at least they got all the warranty work done it!

I am wanting to replace as many as possible of the stock OEM bulbs/lights (Headlights, taillights, foglights, side markers, etc, etc,) with a nice "cool white bright light", like the lights you guys have your trucks, which look absolutley FANTASTIC I must admit! I have been looking a website called SuperBrightLEDS.com and was wondering if any of you guys have bought from them or would you recommend any other supplier? Also, is it possible to narrow down the part number to the specific truck, like mine, for each light I want to replace? I just dont want to order the wrong light with the wrong part number and screw it up...I dont want blue or red, just want to go with that cool white look that I see...truth is my wife wants it and you know what they say...Happy wife nice life!

Thanks for any help and thanks for advice!

Kevin in Dallas

#256 ·
Well welcome Kevin In Dallas, glad to have another Ram owner of course. Most of us here go through SuperBrightLED's, it's a great site and easy to find the bulbs you need for whatever application you're woking on. As far as what bulbs you need for your 3rd Gen there is a list located on the front page (second post down http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90315) to help you find which bulbs you need for your swap :smileup: Any other questions don't hesitate to ask

#257 ·
Hey DeepWaterBlue...thanks for the response! So, if I read this correctly for my truck (I have a 4th gen truck right? You said 3rd and now I'm looking at this differently), I can go thru this site for my bulbs, but is it ONLY my blinker LED's (front and rear) that I need the resistor (1000ohm 1 watt right?) soldered in? All the others...side marker, reverse, etc, will just plug up okay? Or is the 4th generation models plug and go?

Also, I am looking at KBCarstuff for my HID conversion...do I need a high beam and low beam set up for my truck? I want the 35w 4300, seems like this is closest to bright white right? KDude, I am about to drop some serious $$$$ and I really want to get this right the first time...I swear my family thinks I have lost my mind...!! But there cool about this...I want to order all my stuff and get ready to install!! Thanks for the reply, love your truck! Jealous :smileup:

#259 ·
OK first off you have a 4th Gen, I don't know why but when I saw your truck was a 2009 in your info my brain said "Hey 3rd Gen" lol You definitely need the resistors for the front blinker however they are not soldered in. The correct resistor for the blinker can be found at SBLeds(dot)com, its a 6Ohm 50watt resistor found here:http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...pPage&Page2Disp=/tail-brake-turn.html#flasher at the bottom of the page RL650. All of the bulbs are plug and play, they go right into the stock sockets. The bulbs for the 3rds require a 1000ohm 1watt resistor or they'll "ghost". Its not really that big of a deal but if it annoys you then its a good way to go. Do some more research in the HIDs, I personally don't have a set but a lot of the guys on here seem to go with the 55w set instead of the 35w. Send a PM to GotBrains230 and Double0Ram, those guys have a lot more experience with HID's than I do and they put them in everything from reverse tails to PIAA Fogs lol

Hey Guys...going to add something here...I have a couple of pages open and I'm bouncing back and forth and I am looking at the 1st page of this thread dated 8/23/2011 (yes, waaaay back then!)...and I'm looking at the breakdown showing the description and the part number...is there anyway we can see the quantities for each one listed? Sounds corny, but after looking at the SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.COM and comparing that list...its not adding up...like the tail light and brake lights...are these not the same? Also, quad lights and dual lights...whats the difference on my truck? How can I tell? And the fog lights...is there a separate HID kit for these lights also? As always...big thanks go out to you guys! Kevin in Dallas
As far as telling the difference between quads and duals its simple, the duals use 1 bulb for high and low where as the quads use separate highs and lows in the headlamps. A example of what to look for with LED bulbs, take the 194 wedge base bulb, this page will help you out http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/mini-wedge.html

When looking for a bulb just type the bulb number in the search box and you should be able find any bulb you're looking for :smileup:
Let me know if you need any more help Kevin

#260 ·
Hey I heard my name lol
Also, I am looking at KBCarstuff for my HID conversion...do I need a high beam and low beam set up for my truck? I want the 35w 4300, seems like this is closest to bright white right? KDude, I am about to drop some serious $$$$ and I really want to get this right the first time...I swear my family thinks I have lost my mind...!! But there cool about this...I want to order all my stuff and get ready to install!! Thanks for the reply, love your truck! Jealous :smileup:
I would suggest you either get your HID kit from DDM Tuning or Retro-Solutions
With Retro your gonna need the relay harness, with DDM your gonna need the error cancellers
Mine are from Retro, 55w 8000k
Since your wanting bright white, you either want 35w 4300k or 55w 6000k
Hope this helps man

#261 ·
Hey I heard my name lol

I would suggest you either get your HID kit from DDM Tuning or Retro-Solutions
With Retro your gonna need the relay harness, with DDM your gonna need the error cancellers
Mine are from Retro, 55w 8000k
Since your wanting bright white, you either want 35w 4300k or 55w 6000k
Hope this helps man
Why do you need the relay harness for the Retro solutions kit may I ask? I saw a couple people post about them with the 4th gens, but I bought the Digital HID kit for my lows/fogs and it was just plug and play for me... Only problem I had was after an 8 hour drive with them on getting back into town I turned the truck off while we went in and ate at a taco bell at 1am, came back out and the right light was flickering on and off. Hasn't done it sense. Only other thing is I get a ( I ) to the right of my fog light indicators on the dash for a split second after I turn them on. Am I going to run into problems if I don't get them? Or did the kit come with them. Honestly I drilled wholes and plugged them in, called it a day LOL.:doh:

#258 ·
Hey Guys...going to add something here...I have a couple of pages open and I'm bouncing back and forth and I am looking at the 1st page of this thread dated 8/23/2011 (yes, waaaay back then!)...and I'm looking at the breakdown showing the description and the part number...is there anyway we can see the quantities for each one listed? Sounds corny, but after looking at the SUPERBRIGHTLEDS.COM and comparing that list...its not adding up...like the tail light and brake lights...are these not the same? Also, quad lights and dual lights...whats the difference on my truck? How can I tell? And the fog lights...is there a separate HID kit for these lights also? As always...big thanks go out to you guys! Kevin in Dallas

#262 ·
My answer - your lucky, plain and simple. Normally people get the flicker/pulsating light. The flickering problem happens when the computer notices that the bulb is burnt out, so it sends a pulse to the lights to try to fix the issue.
The error cancellers are capacitors that create more current to make the computer think its still the halogen bulb, and that fixes the problem
The relay harness just creates a steady flow and also fixes the problem.

I have no ideal if you'll run into problems or not, seems you've been doing alright. I say since its only done it once, just run with them. If later on the problem starts occuring more, then fix it :smileup:

#263 ·
Hey guys! This perfect! Now I am going to be on these web sites all day...yipppeeee! Will both the front and rear need resistors (like the fronts)? Getting reading to drop the money and am really excited to ger going...Anyways, I really do love what you guys have done with your trucks...both of my sons have jeeps and they have got me into doing some mods...those two (17 and 20) seem to know exactly what they want and judging by you two (and many others here on the forum), you guys know what your doing...thats why I value your all opinions...I am going to that Ramfest here in Ft. Worth next month...whats your thoughts on buying parts at these shows instead of ordering on line? Does anyone know of any retailers here in Dallas that I could check out? Again, nice trucks you both have...!! Kevin

#264 ·
Thanks man
Yes, if you changed out your front turns for LEDs you will need the same resistor as the back. 6 ohm 50 watt
Buying parts at a truck meet can save you a bunch of money and you get to see the actual part in person, which is always better than some online photo. But I like my stuff new so I buy online.
4wheelparts.com has 4 stores in your area; Ft Worth, Coppell, Dallas, and Plano. The store in Coppell is very nice, Ive been there a few times
What you planned for your truck???

#265 ·
4Wheelparts.com...I think my son has been there for his Wrangler looking at a few things...I just went outside and fiqured it out...I have a upper bulb for low beams and a lower bulb for highs (both come on)...and the lower fog lights...trying to fiqure out the round lighting knob is a pain in the ass...once I finally fiqured it out, there was a dinging sound with the lights off and the key fob out...why would it keep dinging? Finally drove it in and out of the driveway and it went off...like you, I like to "touch see feel" my parts...think these would not be new at the Ramfest? Should be new right? I want to change as many of the lights that I can with LED because I cannot stand the OEM stuff...HID's (upper and lower? THoughts on this?) S & B CAI, rearview camera and a catch can...any ideas? Kevin

#266 ·
Which part are you talking about being new at ramfest, I was stating a general fact
You can get all your led's from Super Bright LEDs
Look on the first page of this thread and SS has listed part numbers for each bulb
High beams - 9005; Low beams - H11; Fog lights - H10
I have the Volant CAI and very pleased with it, go with Billet Tech for your catch can...they have gotten very good reviews on here

#267 ·
It was because you said you like your stuff new thats why you buy online...made me think that the parts at the shows were not new,,,maybe remans or refurbished.

I am trying to decide if I should wait till then to buy stuff or go ahead and order online...looked on ebay and sure is some junk on there.

6 ohm 50 watt for the turn signals, thought they needed to be 10 ohm 100 watt...did you use the same?

Kevin

#269 ·
hey here is a pm i didnt get a reply so figured i would post here

I know you probably get alot of these pm's so i will try not to waste your time. I am not very knowledgeable in the LED area.

I drive a 2005 dodge ram 1500 quad cab and i am looking to replace the reverse lights in the taillights, the cargo lights in the third brake light, and the dome lights or map lights inside the cab to those bright LEDs (the cool white or whatever color that is that looks so nice)

I was just wondering if you could help me out and answer a few questions.
-If i get the right lights will i just be able to take off the light covers in the cab and take apart my taillights and brake light and plug-and-play sort of deal with these LEDs or is there wiring involved?
-What lights do i need? I seen your what LEDs fit your truck thread, i seen some numbers there i was just wondering if i went to my local auto store to order these would i just need them numbers and i will be good to go or am i missing something?

As you can tell i dont know much about this stuff. i told you kind of what i am after and am hoping you can help a guy out a bit. thanks in advance! nice truck by the way! i will be sure to share pictures of my exterior and interior after this is done, you may find them interesting!

thanks in advance

#270 ·
Honestly all your questions can be answered on the first page but I'll lay it out for ya bud :smileup:

Reverse - 3157
Cargo - 921
Dome - Dome Light/Map Lights-578/212-2 (I found one that is MUCH brighter that fits both festoon style map lights and the dome light, it is a 4210-HP6 bulb, I used 'cool white', so as described above a '4210-CWHP6' bulb. It's like daylight in the cab.)

All the lights are simple plug and play, take out the old bulb, put the new one in. Most people here tend to use SuperBrightLEDs(dot)com and have no problems. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, we were all new at something before :)

#275 ·
I have replaced the map, dome, license plate, and as soon as the mail comes im gonna do the 3rd brake, cargo, and reverse. I am going to do my Tail lights/Brake lights and Front turn signal/Side markers next. I am having trouble finding the right resistor to prevent hyperbllink. InDeepWaterBlue posted a link on SBLed for a 6Ohm 50watt resistor, but the link doesnt work anymore and i cant seem to find that on the site. Any help would be appreciated. I have a 2010 1500

#276 ·
Blue?

Hey all, new to the site. Love it so far many great ideas and tons of helpful info! Just bought my truck a week ago and I have learned a lot already from this site! SO thanks for that.

I just bought a 2012 Ram 1500 Express (love it!). I am having the Line - X installed tomorrow and I am looking at ordering some LED's soon here to.

I have read many pages from this thread but one thing I am still looking to get some feedback on...

I am debating between Blue and White. However with the express interior really only has the dome for lighting. Does anyone have this setup with the Blue (or white) and is it bright enough? I am worried with only the one light the Blue will not emit enough light and just end up annoying me after a week of not enough light.

Thanks for the info

#280 ·
i know the bulk size and the color (cool white), im looking for actual bulb to buy from superbright. there are many different versions and im looking for suggestions from people that have them already installed so i can look at what they choose and go from there. Im an electronics tech and I know a lot about LED technology but im just looking for whats a good one to go with I dont want one that is blinding but I dont want one that is as bright as what i have oem. I want an in between. If you catch my driff. I do not mean this rudely, just never have worked with putting them in a vehicle.

#281 ·
For the map lights I used the 921x9 LED in cool white and they don't wash out the interior as bad as the 921x12's which I used for the reverse lights but in blue and used them for the cargo lights as well. the socket for these is relatively wide and deep so you could fit a larder bulb if you wanted. The License plate lights I used the 194x4, they light up the plate nicely and the dome I used the 4210-xHP6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.