DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Am i the only one with a pentastar v6???

89K views 268 replies 116 participants last post by  Bigman00214 
#1 ·
There has to be someone else out there who loves their v6. post some pics here and show some love!!!

#73 ·
This past week I pulled my new Winnebago RV home from the dealer, about 25 miles. The 3.6L and 8 speed did great. Up hills, no problem. Used cruse set at 60, tow/haul mode and limited top gear to 7. The rear end is a 3.21. The dry weight of the trailer is 3800. I gave a Reese equalizer hitch and Reese anti-sway bar. I have an electric tongue jack ordered. WE are looking forward to a great summer of camping. :smileup:

#76 ·
Thanks very much, that is a great resource. Now I just have to figure out what all that stuff is! :wow: The axle is 3.21, which is what I would have preferred for best mileage (if I'm not mistaken).

I have a trailer setup much like BigBird's, an 18-footer. Should work ok...

#77 ·
Thanks very much, that is a great resource. Now I just have to figure out what all that stuff is! :wow: The axle is 3.21, which is what I would have preferred for best mileage (if I'm not mistaken).

I have a trailer setup much like BigBird's, an 18-footer. Should work ok...
I'm sure your Pentastar will pull the 18 foot trailer just fine. Unless you have a really heavy load to pull or you are into drag racing I can't see why anyone needs a V8. The 3.6L performs better than the 4.6L V8 I had in the 15 year old F150 that I just got rid of.
Off the subject: I put 21.6 gallons in the tank and the average mpg on the EVIC indicated only 1.5 mpg more than the actual mpg that I calculated. I think that was pretty close considering the varied driving I was doing. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#81 ·
I have a 2013 SLT QC V6 with 3.21 gears and this truck is great for me, mostly riding with some light towing. Normal is 21-22 local mpg and can get 25 running about 60 mph on a 200 mile trip I take quarterly. It's a great setup, drives great, shifts smooth.

#84 ·
yeah, I'm very happy with this truck - the onboard computer says about 19+ mpg driving around town - 23 or so on the highway, I have a 2014 QC 4x4 8 speed pentastar with the 3.55 and anti-spin diff. Still being broken in - the real mileage when you fill it is less than the computer says (of course) - but I've only filled it once or twice so far (32 gallon tank) - I get about 17.5 city and about 22 highway and I drive very conservatively.

I know guys say they get better, but the computer is just a nice 'esitmate' - filling the tank is the real number.

The Hemi is only about a second faster 0-60 and I never drive hard like that so it's not an issue. Towing is fine too - I put my 2001 Ram on a trailer and this truck was ok with it - but again, I drive like a old guy, so ... :)

#90 ·
I had a Hemi, it was a 2005 though. My overall average almost never went above 15.

What kind of performance mods have you done to achieve such a great 0-60?

As for mileage for the Pentastar, on a long trip like you've mentioned I can easily get 26 MPG. I once averaged 27.2 when I did a long 3 hour trip. My overall regular average right now including all driving is 21.3. I've seen that as low as 17(in the winter with lots of idling) and as high as 25. I do have 4x4 to.

#101 ·
I'm a RCSB kinda guy. 09 Hemi w/ 3.90 now, but I've been thinkin about the Penta w/8 for quite a while.

Trouble is,,, Other than fuel economy,,, I don't really have any ~non-positive thoughts~ with what I'm driving now, and other than powertrain,, I don't know that there is a huge amount of difference between my 09 and a 14. ( I do have the lifetime powertrain warranty, so that's ~nice~).

Haven't been 'here' in over a year,,, What kind of MPG are the RCSB Penta 8 spds getting? :4-dontknow:

#102 ·
Here is the latest update on my V6 with 3.21 rear end. We just completed a 2415 round trip to Florida pulling our 21.5' 4500# travel trailer. The combo did great. Most of the trip was driven between 65 and 70 mph. A lot of heavy rain through Louisiana. For the complete trip the EVIC indicated 12.2 mpg which was expected since we had a lot of hills. When I'm not towing, I regularly get between 25 and 27 mpg on the highway. I am extremely pleased with the RAM.

Here is a photo of the EVIC while towing.

#103 ·
I pulled a 2,300# load (850# in bed and another 1,450# 2 wheeled trailer) about 2000 miles around 70 mph and varied between 13-15,,, but as always, slow down a bit and it gets a little better.

I only 'tow' once or twice a year,, Most of my driving is in suburban stop and go.

Hard for any engine to get good MPG at a stoplight, but the 6 w/8 speed and it's lower 'take-off' gearing, driven correctly, should show a noticeable difference over my ~5~ Hemi,,,

(In traffic, it doesn't matter if I have 400 HP or 200HP,,, I couldn't go any faster unless I drove over the top of the car ahead of me!! LOL!!)

#106 ·
I bought mine on 9/23/14 I have 2700 miles now with 4fill up + the free first tank. I get about 20.5 miles per gallon the fake meter on the dash always has 22-23 miles. This part is a pure joke. My wife has a Nisson with 3.5 with this same joke readout that is always exasagerated from the truth. If you still know math do the math your self. I had a 2007 3.7 6 manual. It only got 17 and when I took the broke up 321 with gears grinding together because of three broke off the pinion gear. I put a 355 from a 4.7 v8 the milage dropped by 2 miles per gallon. So these guys that say millage will be the same are lying or don't know what they are talking about. Now with the 321 the truck was a dog. I had went from a HP 318. But with the 355the truck had power like the 318 even though it was a 225. It ran so good that one of the men in the shop in the dealership paid me retail price for it so I wound up paying 25719.00 for this new one. tax and everything. I did keep my early 2000 ram 20s the o7 had kind of flat spokes at the tire part I have the bold round spokes. I haven't been out of town yet but when you do get on the highway this fake millage meter does go up. But I highly doubt it will ever tell the truth. Kind of like thebidiot lights that come on after your out of oil or water. You will have to be an idiot to believe the meter. And I bet these him I guys are doing just that.they are not smart enough to divided gallons into miles just like they can't read that this is the 3.6 form.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.