DODGE RAM FORUM banner

aftermarket light wiring…

715 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  towboater 
#1 ·
So I'm mentally building my dream pickup and I'm pretty much dead set on running a shit-ton (that is a legit measurement right) of auxiliary LED lighting. So heres my question, for certain items I WAS contemplating using the factory switches that would power(switch) relays to effectively use say, my fog factory fog light switch, to activate my new LED lights. My question to you guys is, with the apparent lack of I guess we could say a robust or tough wiring system in these trucks, is this a good idea? OR would I be better off running separate fused switches directly from the battery to I guess completely bypass the factory wiring. I've kicked around the idea of letting an off-road shop or car audio shop do the wiring but to be honest I'm damn scared they won't take the care or time to do the job right and up to my exaggeratedly high expectations. Any ways, I'm just wanting to get ideas on what you guys have done to power your auxiliary lights. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

#2 ·
For aftermarket additions I like wiring a relay, and powering things directly from the battery. Just using the stock wiring as a tap to trigger the relay. Minimally invasive.

Enjoy the mod disease :)

#5 ·
Hook it up so that U can switch the lights on and off at will with a toggle. It's all about control, don't let the truck have control. I've wired up my aux. lights on my ford ranger to the stock fog light wires...sucks. They only come on when the low beams are on. Don't care what anyone tells U about the "law" I want the friggin' control of my lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.