DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Muffler delete question

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
just wondering if anyone has had this done? if i delete the muffler run a Y pipe and leave the CAT and resonators will i run into warranty issues? will it start messing with my O2 sensor? i just dont know...i do like the sound and its not really a cost thing i just beleive it sounds better..

#3 · (Edited)
Not true. The modern combustion engine doesn't need or want back pressure. Back pressure is nothing more than flow restriction. It wants a good balance between exhaust gas velocity and flow capacity. Putting a larger diameter pipe will slow down velocity but increase flow capacity and a smaller dia pipe will do the opposite. But the muffler is just a sound and flow restrictor. Getting rid of it won't give more power or take any away. It will just give you more sound and a desire to drive more aggressively to hear it.

#5 ·
Mufflex performance makes a bolt in y pipe to replace the muffler. A lot of people run it including me. Sounds good and I can always toss in the stock muffler if need be. Just an option if your worried about warranty.
Exhaust flow is like waves you want flow fast enough to create low pressure and help pull the next wave out but not so restrictive that waves come back on each other and collide. As stated earlier exhaust velocity is what's important.

#7 ·
Resonators are just mini mufflers. If you remove them, it will simply be louder and have more in cabin drone. I would say start w the muffler delete and see how you like that first.

#9 ·
back pressure is the wrong term..he means scavenging effect...straight piping hurts that effect at lower rpms thus hindering performance..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.