DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Custom Magnaflow Exhuast Setup

4K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
I finally worked up the guts to work on my exhaust. I was pretty worried after hearing about MDS drone, torque loss, and other issues caused by changing the exhaust.

However, with the help of some forum members, I decided to get an 18" Magnaflow muffler, 1 and 2 out. I also got the Magnaflow Y-Pipe. I don't think anyone else on the forum has done their exhaust exactly like this, and I thought it was a pretty good idea...

I had the guy at the muffler shop cut off the stock pipes right at the Cats, and run 2.5" pipes all the way to the new muffler, where they were joined together by the Y pipe. I think its the closest thing to a true dual exhaust without buying two mufflers and an x pipe.

I went with this setup for several reasons: I heard true duals cause low end torque loss, I think this is better than a cat back kit, and it was extremely cheap! :smileup:

I paid $116 for the muffler and Y pipe, and $162 for the labor and 2.5" pipes.

After driving it a bit, the sound is great! All that worrying about potential drone was useless! I can't even hear when my truck goes into MDS, it sounds the same as 8 cylinders! Its actually pretty quite, not much louder than stock.

One complaint I do have...my truck feels weak! I disconnected the negative battery cable a few minutes ago to reset the computer, and hopefully when I connect it and drive again it'll have more power.

I was gonna do a before and after video...but I ran into some uploading problems. Besides, it sounds just like any other Magnaflow! :LOL:

Picture time!!! :smileup:

Stock

New Pipes

See less See more
Reactions: 916Timmy
G
#3 ·
That looks great! Do you have a cold air intake on the truck? If not, start budgeting for one. That will match up well with the exhaust. More air in + more air out = more power.

When you do the reset, then drive...drive it like ya stole it!

#4 ·
Yep, I installed an aFe Stage 2 a week or two ago. I can't seem to find out how to make my mod list show up below my posts.

I'm really excited to drive it again...there's just something about modding my truck that makes me feel like I just barely got a brand new vehicle!

Now if only I could get a programmer...

G
#5 ·
You can add a link to your modlist or type out your modlist for your signature.

Just go to your User CP and click on Edit Signature. Then link to your mod list or put it in the text box, preview the signature then save it.

#6 ·
I had the same idea, for a new y-pipe, when I did my exhaust. Where's the vid? Im curious to hear it.

#9 ·
Yes Timmy, I stole the idea from you :D however, mine doesn't have any single 3" pipe, cause the y pipe is welded right onto the muffler. So I have dual pipes the whole way through, but only one muffler.

#13 ·
I did some research on Magnaflow's website..it said that dual exhaust systems don't benefit a vehicle making less than 500 hp, and in some cases reduce low end torque. I figured I'd go the safer route, and save my money.

#12 ·
After unplugging the negative battery cable, it runs a lot better. With a heavy foot I get 17.5 MPG mixed city and highway. My highway mileage is pretty bad though, it's like 18 or 19.

It sounds incredible...very incredible :D

#15 ·
Not to hijack, but is disconnecting the battery necessary after an intake and exhaust? I haven't noticed feeling "slow" or lacking in power...I just don't want to reset all my nav/radio settings as well if it's not a requirement.

#16 ·
I only had to reset the time on mine, I don't have Nav :(

I'm pretty sure the computer would learn eventually to adjust the air/fuel ratio, but I didn't want to wait that long, and this way I can be sure it's adjusted properly.

What kind of exhaust/intake setup do you have on yours?

#22 ·
Air Raid CAI and the mufflex 14" kit (magnaflow muffler)

The mufflex has been on for a month or so and the CAI was just done this weekend if that makes a difference.

#17 ·
I only had to reset the time on mine, I don't have Nav :(

I'm pretty sure the computer would learn eventually to adjust the air/fuel ratio, but I didn't want to wait that long, and this way I can be sure it's adjusted properly.

What kind of exhaust/intake setup do you have on yours?

#18 · (Edited)
Thats a little too close to the gas tank for me i would put somthing on the tank to reflect the heat off that driverside pipe just for precautionary methods. Its hard to tell how cloes it is but if its less than a foot then i would take some action.

Also btw i drive thru Paris Tx everytime i go home to visit the folk down in Mineola hehe small world.

#19 ·
I hadn't even thought about that, I just assumed it'd be okay since it's only a few inches closer to the gas tank than the stock setup. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

I know that town, I've done some work there! It sure is a small world!

#20 ·
I hadn't even thought about that, I just assumed it'd be okay since it's only a few inches closer to the gas tank than the stock setup. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

I know that town, I've done some work there! It sure is a small world!

#21 ·
Btw, sorry about the double posts, I think my iPhone is having issues...

#23 ·
it really is a small world I have friends in Mineola and I drive through Paris all the time when I go visit family in Arkansas I also have a son that lives in Commerce

off topic but talking about my son I have to give him props his little league team made it to STATE !!!!!!! and he was chosen for the All Star team as well

#25 ·
Thank you! :D

it really is a small world I have friends in Mineola and I drive through Paris all the time when I go visit family in Arkansas I also have a son that lives in Commerce

off topic but talking about my son I have to give him props his little league team made it to STATE !!!!!!! and he was chosen for the All Star team as well
That's awesome :smileup: I remember my days of playing baseball! Only 5 years ago my all star team went to state, that was one of the greatest times of my life! I'm pretty sure my team played against the commerce team that year too!

#27 ·
That exhaust looks really nice! Sounds great as well...

Thats a little too close to the gas tank for me i would put somthing on the tank to reflect the heat off that driverside pipe just for precautionary methods. Its hard to tell how cloes it is but if its less than a foot then i would take some action.
Just wanted to comment on this it should not be any issue, even if it was only an inch away. Those pipes stay much cooler under the truck than you'd think, they have alot of open air around them, and alot of air flow across them when driving. I have a Buell motorcycle and it's normal operating temperature is around 280degrees, the frame doubles as the gas tank, and when sitting in traffic as it approaches 300 degrees, the frame/gas tank will actually be too hot to touch my leg through my jeans, sometimes if it's really hot even if my leg is like 1/4" away it will be too hot....my point is I really wouldn't be concerned about this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.