DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 Heavy Duty 5th wheel Hitch

13K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  csdavis62 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a 5th wheel hitch in their 2500 or 3500 HD yet? Part of the deal I worked out with my dealer on my new truck was a 5th wheel hitch installed for pulling my camper. They claim Mopar doesn't have one yet and they can't find an aftermarket one that fits the new '13 frame. I have looked online and called a few hitch places and I can't find one either. :4-dontknow:

Camping season is coming up soon and I need a hitch!!!

Any ideas???

#4 ·
Have you checked out this part # 82212036

It is from Dodge, claims it fits.

#5 ·
I talked to my dealer about that number. It sounds like that is an adapter to go from a goose neck ball to a fifth wheel plate. I guess the goose neck hitch is available now and I could get that adapter, but the dealer is buying the hitch (that was part of our deal). And as of right now they don't want to drop $1500 or more to get me that hitch set up.

#6 ·
Check out Curt Hitches, they show a few for your set up.

#8 ·
Off topic, but curious on your mileage with the 2500 Hemi...?

What changed about the frame from 12 to 13? I know the 3500 frame changed, but I didn't think the 2500 changed any?

#9 ·
I can't really give you an answer on the mileage. I only have 285 miles on the truck and most of them have been short trips and driving around town. The best I can tell on the highway is around 15-16. From what I read the frames are thicker and have additional cross members in them.

#12 ·
Not yet. My dealer called me yesterday and said that he "may" have found one. Hopefully I will know for sure today. I have camping reservations for Memorial Weekend and no way to haul my 5th wheel!

#14 ·
Curt 20,000 Lb 5th wheel hitch will be at the dealer Friday...having it installed next Weds! :)
Post pics and part number!! Others might benefit...can't wait to see the set-up. Glad you finally found what you needed-and just in time!!

#20 ·
I guess if you order directly from Curt you can bypass the wait....
Parts are still unreleased and no pricing...
I work in Mopar Performance / Accessory and Accessory Technical and the ETA is 07/08/13 for release.

But good luck, can't wait to see it installed... I know a few dealers in the BC area in Canada have 50+ vehicles on the lot waiting for parts..

#21 ·
It stinks! Just got my Ram 3500 Laramie, cummins, Aisin tranny, with the 5th wheel prep package, but Ram has no parts yet! They are supposed to have a hitch built by Curt, but it's not ready yet. So I laid over 50 big ones to pull my fifth wheel but, tough stuff, I have spent hours and hours to find a way with no results. Chrysler is not even sympathetic to my problem. After all the hype about towing capacity mine can tow zero!!

#26 ·
Hey 1968Roadrunner, could you please tell us the name of your dealer and also the part number(s) of your hitch AND whether they used the fifth wheel installation kit (Part #: 82213667). Thanks!

XtremeCuztoms: Do you happen to know if the installation kit is also manufactured by Curt and/or if it is available yet? My dealer says the part number is good but cannot locate availability or information on it. As you probably know, this installation kit will adapt common fifth-wheel hitches to production mounting points on 3500's with the "Fifth Wheel/ Goose Neck Prep Option. Thanks!

#27 ·
Ok, so here is the deal. My dealer has the hitch installed in my truck as you can see in the pic. They told me that it is a Curt 20,000 lb hitch for a 2013. The rails are for a 2012 and the mounting brackets are for a 2011 that have been customized. This is the Dodge Ram dealer that I bought my truck at. Everything looks good. I can't wait to hook up my camper and try this new truck out!!!

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
Curt makes the mounting and the kits.
The parts are unavailable as you can see from Roadrunners pic.
While his dealer was able to go to Curt and buy the hitch, the mounting kit is not available and there is a diffference between 2011/ 2012/ 2013... That's why his dealer was unable to get the "entire" kit...

While we can see it's installed and might work... There's no way I'm going to let a dealer "modify" the install kit to make it work. I'd just choose to wait until the 2nd week of July and have it all installed correctly with no mods needed.

Roadrunner, did your dealer tell you about warranty?

#31 ·
No they didn't say anything about a warranty. I don't know what they had to do to make it work, but it looks very professional & heavy duty and I have no worries about it. If they wouldn't have told me what they did I would have had no idea that it wasn't a 2013 mounting kit. I sure as hell wasn't waiting until July to get a hitch!

#33 ·
Truck and hitch work great! I towed a 1 ton dump truck with a contractor bed on it, on a fifth wheel trailer last weekend. I love the integrated trailer brake controller! The truck just really tows better than my 08. :)

#34 ·
I'm thinking about going with the Reese under-bed option. I want to be able to use both 5th wheel and gooseneck on the same setup. It also only puts a few puck looking things in the bed so it's fairly clean.

Did they really change the 2013 frame that much, or is it just that no one is really sure what fits yet? My grill guard was a "Modified fit" when translated to removing two "Crash bumpers" under the front that didn't exist in 11 and back. I'm guessing at most it would be just something added or removed from the same frame.

#35 ·
I also like the under bed hitch, but I got this set up for free so I couldn't really complain! LOL I do pull a gooseneck trailer sometimes but I have an adapter for the trailer that converts it to a fifth wheel king pin.

#42 ·
I have to add to this thread that I pulled my 30' 5th wheel a couple hundred miles last weekend and this '13 tows awesome! I really wanted to go CTD this time, but I didn't want a '12 and couldn't afford the '13 so I got another Hemi. It pulls SO much better than my '08! It sucks the gas towing, but I didn't buy it for fuel economy. (I have been getting 17-18 not towing) I love the 6 speed tranny!

#43 ·
Ram 2500 un hitch able for towing

I feel your pain when you purchase a 13 2500 & 3500 and find out their is no hitch available yet because dodge was dumb enough to put a shock absorber mount in the way on the 2013 models. I called Dodge, they gave me the run around and stated Mopar has a hitch built by Curt for custom fifth wheel prep option and aftermarket rails. BS...only works with the fifth wheel prep op that has puck holes in the bed, conversion kit to bed rails $ 500, but not available and when it is,it will be for trucks with fifth wheel prep kit. Guy with Curt tech said that Dodge is telling everyone they have it available , but subscribed Dodge's approach as putting the cart before the horse, Reese also nothing available. Good news if you don't already have a hitch, B&W www.turnoverball.com has application, is all USA made, excellent hitch reviews, and also slider hitch available. I unfortunately had a hitch and had to buy the B&W, but completly satisified, no rails needed, and easy to hitch. :rippedhand:F!$?K Dodge Ram!Buy a truck for over 50k to tow with and they are too stupid to realize someone may actually want to tow some thing!

#44 ·
I agree with some of what you said...but on the other hand...why can't these aftermarket hitch manufacturers get a hitch available now? The trucks have been on the market for some time, why does it take them SO long to get a hitch ready? It's not really all Ram's fault. Also, I guess if you have the right dealer they will get it done for you! I am towing with my '13 Ram 2500 and 20,000 lb Curt hitch!

#45 ·
While looking at campers lately I found out about the B&W system. I think that's how I'm going to go. Still up in the air on the slider, just depends on how much the cost adds.

I really like the system as a whole, trying to find somewhere to buy it at a decent rate, was expensive through the local dealer.. They didn't want to toss it in either.. as I had them down to 58,000 on a 96,000 5th wheel.. :D

I'm afraid I'm going to be right on, or over the GCWR.. but man is it hard to pass up. We're looking at a loaded Cardinal 3800FL.

With that said, I read somewhere you can't use the B&W hitch with airbags, have you heard anything to that effect?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.