DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2nd Gen Junk dash solution (maybe)

36K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Culrich 
#1 ·
Ok, I have been through every forum on the net, including this one. Talked to other dodge owners, dodge techs, argued with several dealers and even ma mopar herself! I have a busted dash, as do many, many people. I have spent the last year researching options for repair. There are many people that offer solutions, but no one actually says how well the repair worked. A new dash from mopar dealer is over $500, aftermarket manufacturers run between $300-$400. Junkyard pieces are getting harder and harder to find, but most are around $200. My major concern is this: I do not want to pay even $300 (let alone $500) for a dash that is no better quality or any more durable than the tissue paper dash my truck came with! And nobody can really tell me if either the mopar piece or other aftermarket pieces are any better. So, here is my idea:
Im going to buy the junkyard piece. Before I install it, I am going to take some fiberglass cloth and resin and put a layer on the underside of the dash. I plan to do as thin a layer as possible, trying to keep the weight down, but still add strength and rigidity to the dash.
I dont know if anyone has tried this, or any other way to improve the dash. I do not ever wanna deal with this again, and plan on keeping my truck until the day I die. If anyone has an opinion, or an answer or suggestions or anything, please feel free to step in. If I havent heard anything discouraging, I plan to commence the repairs this weekend, and will be sure to post the outcome and maybe some pics on here after I am done. Wish me luck!

See less See more
#4 ·
I have seen the cap or cover that LMC carries, and have thought about getting it, but Im not sure what it looks like installed. My current dash is way beyond repair. The entire driver's side is non-existant. As I was reading some other threads, a thought crossed my mind. Does anyone know if the VIN plate is attatched to the plastic dash or a piece underneath the dash? I havent been able to look at mine yet to see. If it is attatched to the dash, how do I get my vin plate onto the new dash?

#7 ·
Just a thought, but are you planning on doing just the underside of the dash with fiberglass or the whole thing ? If you plan on doing the top side also you can always use carbon fiber or a cool pattern of fleece so you don't have to mess with paint. Again, just an idea.

#8 ·
Ok, about the VIN plate. It is indeed attactched to the junk plastic dash. I have called several body shops, the state BMV and the State Highway Patrol (who is ultimately responsible fore vehicle inspections in Ohio). I am supposed to call the state patrol again tomorrow morning to get an official opinion on how do do the VIN (special rivets, documentation, etc...). I will post the outcome.
WBodine, thanks for the opinion on the LMC cap, I will deffinately keep it into consideration.
Sk8noregon, I am just planning on doing the underside of the dash, although, I had never thought of the carbon fiber. That would give a pretty cool look! I wanted to keep it looking factory and not interfere with the passenger side airbag. Ill have to do some thinking lol.
Thanks for all the input, Ill keep everyone posted.

#10 ·
Probably a very good tape like that aluminum tape would hold it together from underneath, has anyone thought of having it covered in a thin layer of suede or leather sort of like the King Ranch Fords? That would look nice, especially in a contrasting color. Take the dash off, repair with tape/fiberglass whatever works and then spray adheasive the leather on top, fold under the edges so when you put it back on it looks finished. Hmmm. I wonder?

#11 ·
My dash is just starting to crack in multiple places and what i have decided to this next week is cover the whole dash in one large peice of carbon fiber. i think it will make the interior look bitchin. once i get it done ill post pictures for people to see how it looks.

#15 ·
My experience with fiberglass and it's applications is minimal at best. How difficult would it be for me to do this process on my cracked dash, I really do not want a possibly mismatched color junkyard piece or a fabric cover but I have no idea what to do with fiberglass haha!

#16 ·
for a novice, this would be a kind of hard task to undertake, for a guy that has a little bit of experience... not so much.. Although my first fiberglass project was building anon existent dash in my E150 Conversion van. If you are really thinking about doing it.. google search fiberglass dash repair. and stuff about working with fiberglass, then decide if it is something you can feasibly do or not.

#17 ·
I am planning on doin the carbon fiber on top of my dash as soon as i a have time to set aside for it. I will post pictures of the process and the after pictures. i am also planning on accenting the carbon fiber dash by also putting carbon fiber on other plastic parts throughout the truck such as the seat belt hole covers and the door handles etc... i think itll really make the truck look nice and classy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.