DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need exhaust help please

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  gixxer160 
#1 ·
I'm going to order my exhaust in the next day and I thought that I knew what I wanted until I heard a couple different set ups now I'm stuck and need input before I waste my money. I wanted the mufflex 18 then I heard the borla xr1. I've listened to many exhaust clip of both and still don't know which one, after doing more research I've read about drone and I do not want drone as this is my dd and family vehicle. What I do want is a nice deep rumble/tone during start up and cruising but also want it to be louder during wot but not annoying and need very little to no drone during highway trips. I like the bolt on idea but read about some poor fitting pipes and leaks with mufflex and I don't like the fact that the xr1 is a Si/so that I have to chop the factory setup to install. I know it's a lot but any help will get me one step close to pulling the trigger on my exhaust. Thanks Mike

#2 ·
I put on The Mufflex 18 about a month ago and although the fit was not good on mine, others have not had the fit problem. If you are handy at all you can make it work regardless. The sound is awesome and was exactly what this 52 year old was looking for. Its my DD and my wife really likes it and she's not really into this kind of stuff. I think her smile was bigger than mine when I started it up the first time. The little drone there is at times is not enough to bother us at all. Check out my sound clip in this forum from about a month ago. Sound quality in clip is not the greatest but it'll give you an idea. Much better in person, I get lots of compliments. Good luck in your search, I know its not easy.

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah the mufflex 18 sound good I just hear people talk about drone and the 2 things I don't want is loud and annoying and drone that's unbearable as my it's my dd/family ride. What about any input from people that have the boesch built kits I know that mufflex and them are just about the same but what about the quality of each one

#4 ·
I have the mufflex 14" and love it. Install was a breeze, no issues with fitment and no leaks. The sound is slightly louder and definitely lower at idle. Then loud and mean upon heavy throttle. I have no drone inside the cab and can only tell the difference by the tone of the exhaust (deeper tone). At 70 mph I can't even tell it's different from stock.

The only time I hear anything like drone is with all the windows down, including the rear window and the MDS kicks in at 50-55 when in top gear. You can tell a difference in this situation, but it's not bad at all and nowhere near what I experienced on my last truck with straight pipes. My wife hates loud trucks and didn't even notice the difference when we drive it.

I have a crew cab and 3.92s, which might make a difference in the sound/drone in the cab. I love this setup and the fact I can replace back to stock myself if I get tired of it. I have received tons of complements on the sound!

#5 ·
Well I ordered the boesch built 18 part#dr-01 I think ill be happy as I wanted the mufflex 18 but didn't like some of the reviews I've read and I found this place that is basically the same but they use better stainless steel 304 vs 409 that is from factory and on the mufflex they also use better clamps and claim to be little too no tailpipe adjustments we'll see when I get it and install it also the reviews that I found for boesch built were all positive now the hard part waiting all week for the boxes of new toys

#6 ·
I had the 14" Maggy, it is a lot louder than stock and does drone (not sure if some folks know what drone is) on highway trips. Hence the reason for me pulling the trigger on a Maggy 22" The 22" is slightly louder than stock, almost (if any) drone at cruising speeds, yet you can hear it when you WOT.

I didn't really need the Mufflex system as I didn't feel like paying double for the unit that might not fit perfectly, plus they didn't have a 22" system.

Good luck with your purchase. Let us know how it works out for you.

#10 ·
I had the 14" Maggy, it is a lot louder than stock and does drone (not sure if some folks know what drone is) on highway trips. Hence the reason for me pulling the trigger on a Maggy 22" The 22" is slightly louder than stock, almost (if any) drone at cruising speeds, yet you can hear it when you WOT.

I didn't really need the Mufflex system as I didn't feel like paying double for the unit that might not fit perfectly, plus they didn't have a 22" system.

Good luck with your purchase. Let us know how it works out for you.
Jay, Did u have the resonators removed or left on with ur 22"magnaflow?

#7 ·
Well I got my exhaust a couple weeks ago and installed it been meaning to get back on here to give you guys an update but been busy. Its a little late but here I go

The kit is well built, welds are awesome and the extension pipes are true 304ss (I did the magnet test)

Installation was as expected straight forward only ran into 2 minor problems this first one had nothing to do with the kit but I had a harder time removing the driver side tail pipe from the stock muffler, and the second problem was with tail pipe alignment the passenger side would not adjust properly. So I called Matthew Boesch (Owner/Fabricator) he told me I was the only person to call in about a problem and he was more than willing to get the problem fixed we decided to try a new hanger because I notice it seemed off and he sent me a replacement for free I installed it and now its perfect.

Performance/Sound wise its what I was looking for nice sound at start up and idle, not loud and annoying when pushing the right pedal just right. With the windows down it sounds great with the windows up its barely louder than stock was but you can hear the difference in the exhaust tone to know its not stock anymore. On the highway It is slightly louder than stock but not bad and the drone is hardly noticeable if at all (I can hear the difference but my wife doesn't).

I was going to do a video but decided that there's really no need to do one with all the video clips of our trucks with the 18 inch MF they are going to all sound the same if its just the muffler being replaced but once you remove resonators and replace y pipes or headers then the sound will change.

Overall I would/will highly recommend anyone buy this exhaust kit if you want a great quality American built product from a small family owned business.

I also have a few other things that I've installed and ill do a little review on them soon (Intake, Shorty antenna, window visors, mats and tailgate assist)

#16 ·
I am going to be getting a new exhaust for my truck in the next few days and its a toss up for me between a 14" and a 18". It's my daily driver and I have a wife and 2 kids so i dont want it to be extremely loud inside the cab. I also have a cai in the truck and from what I have read that will make the aftermarket exhaust a little louder too. so I'm leaning towards the 18", but any input on it would be appreciated

#17 ·
Are you leaving the resonator on? When there is a family involved, I would do a 22" (5x11) if you remove the resonator and an 18" with the resonator still on... the loudness won't be the issue as much as the drone at 2k rpms..it will drive you nuts..

#19 ·
Hi. I am going to change my exhaust system again. I have had stock, a Magna flow 22" an 18" a 14" a true dual using aero turbine, and now I am going with a Magna flow 11379 which is a true dual muffler with sound packing. It should be nice and loud, like the aero's, but with a different sound. The 11379 is only 11" long. No resonators of course, and no X or H pipe. I am not concerned about drone, I like it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.