DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Bad smell = BIG warranty issue!!

166K views 737 replies 169 participants last post by  jimmy9013 
#1 ·
I bought my wife a new truck (2013 Ram 1500 Penstar 1500 4x4), and she was complaining about a a bad smell when it was at idle. I just figured it was a"new pickup smell" that would eventually wear off. Fast forward 2 months and 5000 miles and it is still there. I take it by the dealership thinking they could figure it out pretty quick, but they want to keep it overnight. I get a call from them today and they say it is out of commission for at least 2 weeks while every one of the rubber hoses in the truck are being replaced...every one!!! They said it has to do with a chemical reaction between the hoses and anti-freeze and that it is a known issue by Chrysler. Has anyone else heard of this?

#37 · (Edited)
Unfortunately my truck has the smell, like I drove through manure. Took it in (only 1500 miles on it) and told dealer MY TRUCK STINKS! They said it's a known issue with the hoses and gave me a loaner to use for the couple of days it takes to get the parts. According to them it is two hoses, but they of course do not stock them.

They also told me not to continue driving it as the smell can get into the upholstery permanently! ICK!!

Mine only had a faint odor when stopped so I think I'm OK, but it is a PITA issue with a new truck.

#41 ·
My wife is complaining that my truck smells like a dead animal is rotting under the hood. I have had the truck just about 2 month now and it's still there. I have had a mouse die in a trash can in my garage once and the small is the same. I have been over, under, around this truck and can't find any dead critters. When you open the hood it's stronger around the front passenger side headlight area. Am I looking at maybe the same issue.

#42 ·
Probably, that's another way to describe the smell. I've had my truck about six weeks but didn't notice the smell till about the third or fourth week and then it just kept getting stronger. Try removing your radiator cap and smell the fluid. If it has the same smell you've probably got the bad hoses.

#46 ·
UPDATE: Stopped by the dealer to check on progress today and they don't have all the parts yet! One hose is apparently on backorder!

Spoke to the service manager and although I was initially told it was two hoses apparently it is most or all of the coolant carrying rubber hoses. He said they were working with Chrysler engineering and that the coolant is reacting with a chemical used in making the rubber hoses. Chrysler is supposedly trying to track what batch of hoses from the manufacturer are in what trucks.

Bottom line. No ETA. Guess I'm not towing the boat this weekend. The fish are safe.

The service dept has always been good but they can't fix it without parts. Am trying to remain calm and patient. #$@%!&*!

#47 ·
Yep, sounds like Chinese made junk hoses to me. No telling what they use to make their mess! We're stuck boys, stuck I tell ye! Try NOT buying Chinese junque! But hey, I draw the line at me "American" trucks! No Chinese mess on them for me - wishing...

#49 ·
If it was mine, I'd drain that HOAT $hit antifreeze and flush. Replace with good old Prestone 150,000 mile good stuff. That HOAT crap is something that Mercedes foisted on Chrysler, back early 2000. My hemi RT Magnum and Ram have done fine without that crap. I don't think its the hoses.

#72 ·
Well then that is the source of the smell.... Afterall everything coming out of that area of the country stinks.

I can't believe it is because of Chinese made parts very few things are made by chinese people, heck, even my Chinese food is prepared by hispanic's here in SE Arizona. :SHOCKED:

Funny though my Kershaw knife is made in china

#57 ·
Mine has it as well, very faint and it takes a good 3 to 4 hour run for it to rear it's smelly head! I've had her into the dealership a couple of times and they can't figure it out. Would be nice if Chrysler would at least throw a TSB number on this so we could point the dealers in the right direction. I'm very lucky though that mine is very faint. I've popped off the rad cap and had a whiff and it's not what it should be but it's not bad enough to make you think something is very off. The first time I got a whiff of it was a week into ownership and I just figured it was the factory rubber floor mats?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.