DODGE RAM FORUM banner

brandonjansen - 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread

168K views 969 replies 75 participants last post by  brandonjansen 
#1 · (Edited)
Well the day finally came where I got my Cummins :SHOCKED:

A bit of my story:
I've wanted a Cummins ever since I was 14 or 15 years old... they were always just so cool and I got the bug that I needed to build one. So it essentially became my dream to do that one day. Obviously it's not something I could afford right out of highschool, especially since I went to college right away, so that was put off. So that brings us to the point where I bought my 2012 Ram 1500 SXT (that many of you have seen). At the time when I bought it that was a huge purchase for me. I had just started a job with my new company so I didn't want to dig in too deep before everything was a little more routine and normal for me. Well since then I've been promoted and gotten a few raises so the Cummins bug was back at me again. I started looking on and off for the right deal to pop up. I wasn't overly serious about making a move but the option was definitely there. Well finally searching Craigslist one day this 3500 fully loaded Laramie Limited popped up and I knew I had to take a look. Well one thing led to another and bam! Now I own it.

For me this is everything I wanted in the truck to start with. It has every option I could think of, the right colour, Laramie Limited, 2012 (no urea junk)... it is essentially the start of my dream truck. So I'm very stoked about it. I figured now was the time to get into a truck like this before I'm overwhelmed with other bills later in life and won't be able to afford this truck. At least now I have the truck and I can slowly mod it as money comes in.

Numbers:(remember, I'm in Canada)
Since I already know a bunch of you are going to ask what numbers I got in the deal I might as well post them now. I ended up negotiating with them on my truck as a trade in to what I consider a decent price considering what it was. I paid $25,500 10 months ago and have put about $10,000 into it since then. With the trade in value and tax savings because of it, it worked out to about $30,500 for my truck which I'm fairly happy with. Considering the depreciation of the truck I got a fair bit back for my mods.

Now for the new truck. The window sticker on it was $76,000. They had it listed for $70,000 on the lot and I got them down to a final price of $60,000. Again, I'm fairly happy with that deal as well considering everything the truck has.

Sponsorship:
This truck and myself are now sponsored by Bully's Performance. The majority of the parts (everything possible) that I want to put on this truck will be supplied by Bully's. I can't say enough about both Andrew and Jeremiah. They are incredible guys to work with and provide exceptional customer service. If anyone needs anything for their truck (even if it's not listed on their website) give either Andrew or Jeremiah a shout at sales@bullysperformance.com. They will help you find what you're looking for and give you the best pricing possible. Very stoked to have these guys supporting me on this build!

24hr Review:
Well so far I've had this truck for about 18 hours and it has been amazing! HUGE step up from my base trim 1500. The ride is incredible, a lot smoother than I expected for a 3500. The interior is immaculate and so well done. The features that it have literally blow my mind. Last night my dad and I just sat in the truck for an hour or so messing around with things and finding out what they all do both amazed at some of the features. The Cummins is amazing, more power and torque than I know what to do with at the moment. But I have huge plans for it, so things will come.... Overall I am 100% satisfied with the purchase of this truck.

Mod Plans:
I definitely have tons planned for this truck in my head already. Overall this will be a much slower build than my 1500 just because of the cost of things and warranty issues. But here are some of my short term and long term mod plans.

Short Term:
Remove mud flaps - complete
AntennaX 7" billet antenna - completed
Remove running boards - within a few days
Remove intake baffle - within a few days
LED license plate, reverse, and cargo lights - within a few days
Bakflip G2 Tonneau Cover - will be ordered right away
Rough Country Leveling Kit - within a few months
Boost and Pyro Gauges in A-pillar mount - within a few months
S&B intake - within a few months

Long Term: (at the moment)
8" or 10" lift, not sure what brand yet
22x11 Fuel Krank wheels
40x15.5 Toyo MT's
H&S Performance Tuner
EGR delete
DPF delete
4" MBRP turbo back exhaust

Obviously I will think of other mods as time goes on... there will be lots. Everything will be updated in this thread.

Pictures:
And finally the part everyone wants to see.... At the moment I only have a few iPhone pictures, but once I have some time I'll get some with my T3i

And a picture of me with my old 1500 SXT and my new 3500 Laramie Limited. The 1500 is quite a bit closer to the camera, that's why it looks so much bigger.... But for a brief period of time I owned both these trucks. Very happy to be driving away in the Cummins though ;)

See less See more
#393 ·
Well I don't have any new mods to share... but I did clean up the truck the other day and thought I'd share a picture of what the interior is looking like right now. I don't think I've shared a full shot of the interior since I put the MiniMaxx and gauges in.

I've also got things under way to get pricing for the lift and wheels and tires. So hopefully I can get everything sorted out in the next week or two and then get it all ordered. My plan would be to have it installed in a month or so then. But it all depends on how things go. I honestly have no idea what shipping times could look like for it. But things are in the works. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#402 ·
Thanks deininger! I'm definitely a fan of them as well. Especially since they match the ones in the cluster.

Come on Brandon! Quit teasing us on the lift and tires already! Just kidding. I know $$ is a major factor. Nice job on the build. When I think of build threads this one is the apex of them all.
Haha I know I know! I'm working on it! But it's true, money is the limiting factor. I'm already stretching my funds pretty far to get this lift on this quick but I want to get it done this spring. If money wasn't a factor this truck would be taking a whole different direction.... the title of the thread would need to have SEMA build in it then ;)

#401 ·
Come on Brandon! Quit teasing us on the lift and tires already! Just kidding. I know $$ is a major factor. Nice job on the build. When I think of build threads this one is the apex of them all.

#415 ·
Well.... there was no lack of money spent on parts today!

8" BDS Long Arm Lift kit with Fox Shocks all around and custom Fox Dual Steering Stabilizer

Hell Bent Steel Steering Box Brace

So needless to say.... big things are about to happen. Once this stuff arrives I still need to buy tires (most likely 37x13.5r17 Toyo MT's) to go on the stock rims. I'll be getting those locally. There's a few shops around here that buy back used tires so I'm going to see what kind of deal they will give me on my stockers which should save me at least a bit of money. Plus with the Canadian dollar exchange rate right now it's cheaper for me to get them in Canada regardless.

I'm also fairly certain I'm going to order some 1.75" or 2" BORA wheel spacers. Typically I've been dead set against wheel spacers that size (as some of you will know). But I've been doing a ton of research on them lately for 3500's and with how large the hubs are and how they're set up I think it will work good. I figure if a 3500 dually runs a 3" spacer from the factory I can run a smaller one. I am still a little cautious of it though... If I do put them on I will definitely be pulling the wheels often to re-torque everything. But in order to keep my tires from rubbing and really give my truck the stance I want with the stock wheels that's the best option. It will also allow me to run pocket flares (which I was planning on) without the truck looking stupid with the tires tucked way underneath them.

#418 ·
Ya I'm getting pretty excited for this now. I was pretty calm about it all until this week knowing I'd be ordering the kit. Now I just want it and want to get it on the truck.

suddenly a level seems so trivial lol cant wait to see that beast
Haha yes, especially when a leveling kit on a 1500 is still smaller than a 3500 at stock height ;) It's definitely going to be huge all said and done. I'm about 6' tall and I'm expecting the bottom of the windows to be around my nose or eye level.

#420 ·
Haha, not hating on them... just stating a fact. A 3500 is still slightly taller... even on 31.7" tall tires. But as your picture shows it is close.

Ya I'm stoked for the tires as well. At first I was going to run 37x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers but decided that a 37" tall tire needs to be at least 13.5" wide to look proportionate. Plus I was very happy with the Toyo's on my last truck so I don't see any need to sway from that.
I emailed Motorsport-Tech today to get some more info on the BORA spacers. Hopefully I'll hear something back from them pretty quick. If it's not raining when I get home from work today I'm going to pull a wheel off my truck and take some measurements to make sure I get the right size and that it will all work/look the way I want it to. But I'm fairly certain I'm going to try a set of them out. It will just make the truck look so much better IMO.

Haha yes I am aware... I already just want it in my shop. Depending on when it's scheduled to show up I might be waiting until mid April or so to put it on. I have 4 days off for the easter long weekend and then I'm away on a business trip for the week after that. That might be a good time to throw the lift on as I'll be able to do it more slowly and take my time, not have to worry about getting the truck back on the road. However if it shows up soon enough I'm not going to be able to wait for 2 weeks with the lift sitting in my shop. lol.

#422 ·
It's the damn cab lights on top that make it look taller then mine.. grrr. Did you have to get a commerical vehicle sticker for yours? In Ontario, no matter if its for personal or an actually commercial truck, All 3500's need a commercial sticker in the front window.

13.50 Are such a nice wide tire, especially the Toyo's because they are actually over 14. I can't wait to see it all together, and your opinion on the adapters.

Also, no way in hell you will be able to wait 2 weeks with a nice brand new fancy lift just sitting there taunting you. You had a hard enough time holding off on the deletes :LOL: I can see you in your shop at 2am working away. Who needs sleep when there is a 8" lift to install?

And Mac, you are not alone my friend.

#423 ·
You guys both need to make lifts happen!!

I look at the mirrors. That's where you can really see how the 3500 is taller.
No I don't have any sticker on mine. Must be an Ontario only thing. I think I have to have my GVWR on my registration up high enough before it's classified as a commercial vehicle. Right now I don't have it up that high since I don't tow heavy trailers too often.

Ya I think overall they're 14.4" wide or something like that. They'll definitely be beefy looking.

Haha that's a good point. But who knows when everything will show up. I'll need the lift, steering stabilizers, and steering box brace here plus need to have tires set up with a local shop so I can show up with mine and have them swapped while I'm putting the lift on the truck. But I should have that lined up before hand. I'll probably start making calls tomorrow.
We also need to get gravel in to make the driveway too our shop. I don't think my Dad will appreciate me 4x4ing through the backyard again. Lol.

#425 ·
Haha ya that's what some of my friends have said too. I have long legs so I'll be okay. And if girls need some help up I'll be glad to lend a hand ;). AMP does make 2" extensions for the steps though so I might consider those if it's too big of a step.

#426 ·
Brandon, if you really wanna give the ladies a hand. just disable the passenger side steps :D.

People already have trouble with my truck, hell they are in for a surprise when I lift and still don't put on steps :LOL:

I don't know how I am gonna hold myself over until you get the lift installed. It is just gonna look soo sweet.

#427 ·
Haha well that's easy enough to do.

A 1500 with a 6" lift and no steps is definitely do-able still. You'll just need to use the grab handles to get in. But I didn't really have any issues with it on my 1500.

Ya I'm getting stoked for it. I decided I'm going to go with the 2" BORA spacers. I finally found a 3500 running them and it looks sick and I've been talking to the guy about it and he doesn't have any issues with them. So they're worth a shot. I'll talk to you on FB about some more of the details.

#428 ·
2" Spacer with 13.5" tires, hold on while I go change my pants... That will be so bad ass. It looks like for mine, A 1.5" is the smallest I can go without shaving the bolts. so -12 offset, with 1.5" BORA spacer, holy hell I will have so much room for activities in my wheel well.

I know the 1500 with a 6" won't be bad for me. My girlfriend is short, so she may get a rope ladder or something for her side :LOL: I am wondering if a 6" with bilstiens at 2" with either bigger blocks or an add-a-leaf in the rear would look good with 35's, and be drivable.

#429 ·
Haha ya should be a good stance. It ends up giving the wheels 4.25" of backspacing. So it's not as wide as it sounds but with the 13.5 wide tire it will still be sticking out a long ways. Figured I might as well go big so that they look good once I put pocket flares on the truck.

Check the back of your wheels for indents between the lugs. Lenny (from Motorsport-Tech) said that some wheels have that so you can run smaller spacers and the lugs just protrude into the wheels.

It will definitely be driveable but your 35's are going to look too small. You could do it for a while but I'd save up to get some 37's on there eventually.

#430 ·
4.25" of backspace is quite a bit lol. Any idea how far past the Fenders it will be? Pocket flares will be a nice touch too.

I will have to check my wheels for the indents, but I don't mind running them a bit wider anyways. 1.5" will give a stance where I could use my tires as ladders. I know the tires will be a bit small looking, but after this set is done, I will probably swap to eithor 37/13.50/17 Toyo M/Ts or look for a aggressive A/T tire made in that size. I am just wondering if parts would wear brutally fast due to the the 6" with 2" and the rear leafs.

#431 ·
They should be out about 2.75" or so past my factory flare. So that's about 3.5" past the fender itself. Pretty much exactly where I want them to be to look good with the pocket flares.

Ya with the larger tire that would definitely look good.

I don't think that would cause it to wear any faster than it's going to without anything. Putting the spacers on is definitely going to be harder on bearings and ball joints but the added height shouldn't effect too much. You'll just want to make sure your pinion angle is good.

#439 ·
Valve Set

Back when I put the ARP head studs in the truck I had all the rocker arms off the truck. When I put it back together I really should have done a valve set on the truck but because I didn't have the proper tool to turn the truck over and was running out of time I didn't end up doing it. It's something that's been irking me ever since. For a couple of months it seemed like they were okay but now over the past couple weeks I noticed more lifter noise coming from the engine so I knew it was time to rip it apart and set them up right.

First I had to strip the engine back down to the head. Just as annoying as it was back when I did the head studs (see post #301 for more info on that). When I was taking the rocker arm spacer off I accidentally loosened the exhaust rocker arm for cylinder 6 (the furthest one back) and after doing so thought to myself "hmm.... that was a lot looser than I would have liked it to be". So I started by grabbing the torque wrench and re-torquing all the rocker arms again. Sure enough all of them were a little loose. While I had the torque wrench out I decided to double check a few of the head studs and make sure they were up to 135 ft-lbs still as well. All of them were good and tight.

Now for actually setting the valves. I had the instructions/specs for them off another website. The specs stated that the valve lash can be between 0.006" and 0.015" for the intake and 0.021" and 0.034" for the exhaust without having any effect on performance, engine noise, fuel economy, etc. As soon as I read that I thought "No, that's BS... when it comes to setting valves every thou makes a difference." So I found that the actual set specs are supposed to be 0.010" for the intake and 0.026" for the exhaust; so that's what I was going to set them to.
Sure enough every single valve was loose. Most weren't too too bad... but some were definitely way out, especially on cylinders 5 and 6. So I went through every single valve making sure they were all set exactly where I wanted them. I'm very picky when it comes to valve sets so I took my sweet time making sure the feel of them was what I wanted. Setting the back to cylinders was definitely a pain in the ass.... With the lack of room back there and how hard it is to access everything it was tough enough just to get the feeler gauge back there let alone both my hands to set the lash... I was literally laying across the top of the engine with my arms extended back under the cowl and my legs hanging out of the engine compartment. Needless to say my hands and forearms are pretty scraped and cut up from doing this.

The only real problem that I ran into was when I was setting the exhaust valve on cylinder 6, dropped the allen key and didn't hear it hit the ground. The only thing I could say was, "You gotta be effing kidding me!" So I ended up just trying to move my hands around on the back of the engine, transmission, and everything around there and finally nudged it enough to make it come loose and hit the ground.

The one other thing I fixed while I had all this apart was a bit of an oil leak I was having. Because the ARP studs are quite a bit longer than the stock head bolts they were interfering with these little plastic tabs that seat the injector harness support. This was causing it not to seat properly which allowed a little oil to seep past it. So I cut about 1/8" off those plastic tabs to give it the clearance it needed. Hopefully that stops the problem.

Overall it was definitely worth my time to set these up properly. From the moment I started it up I could tell the engine was quieter and running smoother. The exhaust even has a bit of a deeper tone to it. I even set a car alarm off when I drove past it at around 30 km/hr up a hill by my friends place. The truck definitely has more power now too; it just keeps pulling up hills effortlessly without needing much more fuel. It should also keep my boost at cruising speed down a little bit which will give me slightly better fuel economy. I'll see how those numbers pan out in the next week or so.
The other good thing about this was that I pulled off my intake tube to give myself some more room. While doing that I found that the intake tube was somewhat loose on the turbo and probably would have come off within a few more weeks. So I'm glad I caught that I got it all tightened up.

#440 ·
Awesome job man. i saw your pic on Facebook you took. Sounds like a real pain in the ass. Glad it all turned out good though. For sure the worst sound to hear when a tool drops in the engine bay, is nothing at all. It is always nice when you hear the tool fall to the ground, and does not require a full out recovery hunt.

#442 ·
Full out recovery hunt of a socket or allen or... whatever. Been there, done that. Definitely a proverbial oh shit moment.

Nice write up, Brandon. Excellent job, Dood!
Thanks guys!

Yup, it was definitely one of those moments. As soon as I dropped it I just stopped moving for a minute to hear where it went and if it hit the ground.... nope, no such luck! And with how far back in under the cowl it was there was no was I was going to see it.... I'm just glad I ended up getting it out fairly easy. For a minute I was worried it dropped somewhere in the head that I couldn't reach or maybe down into the transmission housing through where the starter attaches... could have been a big headache trying to get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.