DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Replacing Tow Mirrors with Power Fold

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  jmerica 
#1 ·
I am trying to figure out if you can replace the factory tow mirrors with the Power fold mirrors. I have seen a number of posts saying it can't be done or they don't think it will work right, but I can't imagine it would be that hard. Does anyone know if it can be done? Is the wiring harnesses in all of the trucks the same and do you just connect up the different options or is the wiring harness for the trucks specific to the options it is being made for?

#2 ·
Information from Dealer

I spoke to a service person in my local dealership today and they said you can't replace the tow mirrors with the power fold. They said that the wiring is not there and also it would have to be programmed into the computer on the truck. I imagine it's possible, but just very difficult and probably expensive.

They also said in relation to the wiring harness, that it is specific to each truck and the options that it is equipped with.

#4 ·
I have tow mirrors on mine and I am planning to get the dealer to swap them for stock mirrors, they told me the same thing that they can swap them but the "Power Fold" option won't work and that the wiring is not there for it. All other functions are supposed to work according to them. Having said that I find it extremely hard to believe that Ram would actually create different wiring harnesses for different trucks with ot without certain mirrors..... Theres just no way! An assemble line building hundreds of trucks every day and the potential for every second truck to have a different wiring harness???? Makes no sense to me!

#5 ·
It is not that surprising that they would carry two (or more) wiring harnesses. There is always a trade off in the cost/logistics of handling an extra part vs. the extra cost of the most advanced part where all of the features/wire won't be used. The harnesses are most likely installed in the door panels at a supplier outside of the assembly plant. They already have to sequence the door panels for interior type and color, 4/2/0 power windows, etc. Not really a big deal to have different wiring harnesses.

#8 ·
What truck do you have? I have a Laramie basically fully optioned so I'm thinking the wiring is all there.
The 2013 threads talk of have to switch out a door module as well as the switch and mirror and have the computer flashed. Also the temp gauge is in the left mirror and some people had issues with reading the outside air temp.

#9 ·
any new feedback on doing this? i would love to switch my big tow mirrors for the regular power fold ones. Even if the power fold doesn't work, it would make the truck look better. Does anyone know where you can get a pair or anyone want to swap for the tow mirrors???

#11 ·
+1

I was surprised when ordering my truck that you could not have power fold on the towing mirrrors. I mean, power fold is certainly more useful on towing mirrors than on the regular mirrors. You have to fold your towing mirrors more often and it's a bit of a hassle always doing this manually.

#12 ·
This is really good info. In my search for a Laramie it is nearly impossible to find a truck without the tow mirrors. I will probably never tow anything so I'd much prefer the smaller power folding mirrors. For those that replaced theirs how much did it cost, and did you do it yourself or have the service department do it?

#17 ·
I love the look of the towing mirrors. My house was built in the 70s and my garage door is about 8 to 10 inches wider than my truck so I have to fold my mirrors to get into the garage and I would be a pissed off unit if I had to get out of my truck 4 times a day to fold or unfold my passenger mirror....

#19 ·
Replacing tow mirrors with power fold

To the gentleman that successfully replaced the mirrors I have a 2014 2500 with tow mirrors and want the power folding can you tell me exactly what parts you got to do it and if there was any thing special that needs to be done to do this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.