DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Bullydog tuner, hurting my truck?

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  mb power wagon 
#1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2003 ram with the hemi, I recently purchased a Bullydog gt gauge and tuner and the truck has starting acting up. At cold start or after the truck has sat a while I will turn the truck on and the rpms will surge (about 100rpm difference ). This only lasts for about 30 seconds or so. I'm wondering if its the o2 sensor or if the tuner is harming my truck. Also, after i demand some power from the truck (aka: dickin' around) the engine dogs really bad and then ill drive it for a bit and it will return to normal. i was just wondering if anyone has used this Bullydog tuner and what their experience with it was? Thanks!

#3 ·
That's what I was going to suggest. Remove the tune and do the same things i.e. dicking around, and see if the truck still has issues. If it doesn't, then you know it's the tune.

#4 ·
I de tuned it, it runs better. Although now im missing that giddy up the tuner gave the truck, it really dogs while its in 2nd gear at about 40% throttle I was just wondering if anyone has had problems with the specific tuner brand, needless to say I selling the Bullydog tuner and going with superchips brand.

#6 ·
if your getting "flat" spots in your throttle response, try cleaning your throttle body and check for vacuum leaks. that caused my power wagon to do almost the same thing. my throttle body was filthy and i found a small pinhole that only leaked under hard throttle conditions. but after i fixed the vacuum leak and cleaned the throttle body it was perfect. you could also try cleaning the injectors. try using seafoam once your tank is down to 1/4 and run it to almost empty to get the best effect from the seafoam. or have the injectors cleaned at a shop that won't rape you.

#8 ·
how did you use seafoam? through a vacuum line in to the engine? that does a great job of cleaning the combustion chambers and valves but in the tank is the only way to clean the injectors. but taking it in the have the injectors done at a reputable shop is definitely the way to get them cleaned thoroughly. did you check for vacuum leaks? i have even heard of guys having issues with the intake leaking. i usually check for vacuum leaks with a propane torch. turn it on but don't light it. as you move the torch over the engine it run better as you find the leak. once you find the general area where it ran better start looking closely for where the problem is. at least that method has always worked for me.

#14 ·
thats the method i always use. i usually use 2 cans i pour in half the first can and them pour in the rest to stall the engine and leave it for about a 1/2 hour to soak in, than when i start it up and run it for a bit till it smooths out...and fogs the neighbors real good.lol. i do dthe same with the second can and leave it 3 or 4 hours than when i start it i get it to the back roads and work it hard to burn it all out (till it quits smoking) and change the plugs after the engine cools down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.