DODGE RAM FORUM banner

When do YOU change the oil on your 2013 Ram truck?

• About every 3000 miles

Votes: 70 16.7%
  • About every 6000 miles

Votes: 70 16.7%
  • It varies, maybe 5000 to 7000 miles depending on driving

Votes: 139 33.1%
  • About every 3 months

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • About every 6 months

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • It varies, maybe every 4 to 7 months

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • I use the oil life indicator on the truck

Votes: 102 24.3%
  • I look at the oil and if it looks dirty, I change it

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • I use another way of determining my oil change interval

Votes: 12 2.9%

When do YOU change the oil on your 2013 Ram?

26K views 111 replies 92 participants last post by  13HemiRam 
#1 · (Edited)
Another Poll! This time Lets see what the consensus is on changing oil. Do you have a routine? Certain mileage? Certain timeframe? Or do you just go by the oil life indicator on the truck? Choose the answer that most closely matches your oil change interval! Feel free to describe details in a post if you choose "I use another way..."

#2 ·
Every 5k on the odometer… only because the math is easy and I change it myself….. seriously…. it seems dumb at low milage because I can do the math at any interval but when I get in the 80-120k I always used to forget so I switched to easy math.

#11 ·
I know what you mean about easy math. I use to change oil based on average speed multiplied by the square root of the sum of rear wheel torque and ambient temperature divided by the days of the month squared times a number I dreamed up multiplied by engine oil capacity divided by max horsepower cubed minus pi. :wow:

Now I just go by the oil indicator thingy.

:LOL:

#3 ·
I did the first change around 6500 miles. Switched to full synthetic, and will be doing 8-10k intervals from now on.

#9 ·
I change once every six months. On my first oil change, the life indicator was at 39% and the odo around 7,300 miles. The reason is, I have the Chrysler four oil change contract which is good for four oil changes with in two years. Therefore, once every six months unless the oil life says different.

#18 ·
Had my first oil change at the dealer yesterday (complimentary). I'll do them from here on out but the service manager said that they put a sticker in my window indicating next change. I said what about the oil indicator? He said ignore it, it's not accurate etc. Just do them in a normal cycle.

They recommended a 3000 mile change cycle. I'll probably go synthetic next time and do a longer change cycle then that though.

#15 ·
I do not drive a lot of miles. In the last four months, I have driven about 1500 miles. I get free oil changes at the dealer every six months for three years. So, I change the oil every six months, unless I happen to take a trip and run up the miles.

#16 ·
First one today, 4600 miles (7500 ish KMS). OLM said 43%. I would have waited longer but some of the other threads made me paranoid about engine damage :) LOL

#17 ·
Did my first oil change at 3500mi switching to full synthetic mobile 1. Then just did my second one today at 9500mi and switched to full synthetic penzzoil platinum because it is Chrysler certified and mobile 1 isn't anymore. When I did the second one my indicator was still above 30%. Next oil change I plan on getting and sticking with amsoil full synthetic and changing every 7-7500mi as long as the indicator is good. A lot of people who run amsoil will even go past that.

#25 · (Edited)
did my first at about 6000kms. went to amsoil full synth. it does cost about $100 a change for it including the 25k mile filter, but its definetly worth it for me, should be fine for a once a year change (amsoil rates the oil and filter at a 25k mile life). and at -50C here in winter....conventional oil is baaddddddd news lol

edit: $100 in supplies....i do it myself.

#24 ·
I do it every 6 months, but that usually totals around 5k, its sort of simple, do it in the spring and then in the fall, this year in the fall I decided to send a sample of my oil to Blackstone, they checked it, said next oil change should wait 8k miles with no issues. also there report showed the engine was not showing any signs of wear.

#27 ·
I just had my 4th oil change. I have my dealer do it every 3,000 miles. Its very cheap to have done, I used to go to Jiffy Lube but now that I know how cheap it is at the dealer I'll continue to take it there. My first oil change was free. For my 2nd oil change I bought the 4 oil change special for $80 bucks, 20 per oil change is probably cheaper then what I can buy the stuff for or at least close.

#32 ·
I know exactly what you mean. I have been in that habit since I first started driving in the early 80's. However, technology has changed so much since that time(remember early 80 vehicles? at 75,000 mile you had better get rid of them LOL) engines and vehicles in general are much better and with synthetic fluids I really think we can go 7500-10000 now. The company I work for has moved to this a couple of years ago and they use the cheapest dino oil changes from quick lubes and I havent seen any negative effects.

In short I am gonna follow the oil life indicator or 10,000 mile whichever comes first. That's what the owners manual says and I have 100,000 mile warranty. I will however be getting it done at the dealership and I will probably provide synthetic oil.

#34 ·
I go by the oil life monitor or 1 year……... whichever comes first.

When I was growing up and driving 60's & 70's muscle cars, I would change it 2500-3000 miles without fail.

Todays oils and engines are light years ahead of those cars/engines… I see no reason not to trust the recommended oil change interval.

#39 ·
You do know that, for the current DEF equipped Cummins, Ram says EVIC, 15K miles, or 6 months .... whichever comes first.?.?.?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with what you're doing, but that's based on past oil testing used in a 5.9 Cummins... Me, I'm going to go with factory recommendations, until I get some oil test reference points...

#35 ·
Did anyone find that their mileage changed after their first oil change? When I first starting driving my 1500, the MPG would hover between 15.9 and 17 in the city. After the first oil change at the dealership, the MPG doesn't go above 15.4 and sometimes has gone to 14.8. Did they use the right oil? Does their blend just suck?

#37 ·
Did anyone find that their mileage changed after their first oil change? When I first starting driving my 1500, the MPG would hover between 15.9 and 17 in the city. After the first oil change at the dealership, the MPG doesn't go above 15.4 and sometimes has gone to 14.8. Did they use the right oil? Does their blend just suck?
I changed to Mobil 1 a week ago and I notice the MPG is now a hair worse. Kinda weird as I always heard the opposite

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.