DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Y-Pipe!!!

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Revel Performance 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, I've been researching this non stop since yesterday afternoon. My buddy will be installing my Y-pipe. First off, is there any chance doing the Y is going to screw me on my warranty? I saw someone posted a clamp on version on here with the parts listed. Is that something to even consider? I like that it can pop on and off easier. I know most people on here are against clamps, but my buddy who is the lead diesel mechanic for Pierce(fire truck manufacturer) in our region, says he uses them all the time. I trust him 100% and he services our entire construction fleet also.

Is there really major restriction in the pipe by the transmission? I keep reading about how that needs to be changed. Biggest thing is I am NOT going to take my truck to some exhaust shop and have aluminized pipe put in and crush bends. That's why I find it funny that all these people talk about their $60 Y-pipe jobs, but it just defeated the purpose of the mod. My buddy already said, if we're going to do it weld in, he will only do it the right way. Wants to remove and Tig weld it on the bench with the correct wire. I need to know what mandrel bends I need to get to do it correctly though. I've read some conflicting posts here. Saw some that said, need a total of 4 bends. Saw another post where someone did it with 2 45s and 1 90 from mandrel bending solutions. Which also MBS is a lot cheaper for 409 SS than anywhere else. I'm in NY and considering the rest of the system is SS, I'm not going to settle for aluminized. Especially not with this new liquid ice control stuff they spray on our roads lol.

Basically want to know 2 things...what do I need for the most minimal Y-pipe installation (cutting out the least pipe)? What do I need for the more in depth installation and how much more benefit am I going to get out of it vs the minimal install?

I'm not out for a drag strip truck. I'm putting in a 18" Magnaflow, and want to get this y-pipe done. I'm only doing it to allow the truck to breath better and sound a little more aggressive. I'm not looking to spend $200 in mandrel bends to gain 1/2HP so I can run .02 seconds faster in a 1/4 mile lol.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I've been on the computer wayyyy too long searching and I'm starting to get the death looks from the wife :att:

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't have true numbers but I could tell a performance gain with better sound after doing my Y pipe.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Hey DAP, can you pm me your price on the mandrel bends and how to purchase them since I can't find them on your website. I can't initiate a PM yet since I am under 25 posts. thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.