DODGE RAM FORUM banner
16K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  AzHunter 
#1 ·
Here is my review of the Mufflex DOD24M kit for the 4th gen trucks:

- Installation is very easy. It took 90 minutes from start to finish, including pulling out and cleaning up tools. The most difficult part is removing the tailpipes which WD-40 helps with. My tips were perfectly aligned after reinstallation.

- The system sounds great on start up but similar to stock at idle. It's much louder on acceleration in the cab, but whisper quiet while cruising.

- This system has a drone at 70 mph with or without MDS. It's not like a modular Ford with an x-pipe "my head is going to explode", but it is certainly there. It can be overcome easily by the radio at a normal listening volume. I would imagine full catbacks tune this out.

- There is no noticable difference in the MDS sound with this muffler versus stock. Still sounds kind of weird...

There are not many videos of this system around, so I created the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z7cKWqtmYQ

I have an exhaust of my car that is borderline obnoxious, so I was looking for an exhaust that was a little louder than stock but maintained the quiet ride (my truck is my DD). I think this system does just that. I won't annoy the neighbors, but will still turn heads.

See less See more
#4 ·
No problem! If you think the 18" Magnaflow will be too much, it probably will be. The 24 thunders around pretty good.

One thing I forgot to mention... I saw a fella on youtube who wrapped his tips in shop rags. Great idea, I did this as well. The passenger side will rest against the bumper and the drivers side will rest on the ground.

#17 ·
I went with the 18" magnaflow, getting it welded in this week. I think it's gonna be too loud.:head3::D:D:D:D
There's a place in washington pa that will do all the work for you including the muffler if you haven't ordered it yet. They did mine for $300 for a cat back cab side exit. I don't think the 18" will be too loud, but than again mines a 14" :Wow1:

#7 ·
Thanks for the rep! There really is no info on the 24, so I hope this helps. It was a bit of a leap of faith to buy it, but I'm glad I did.

I did notice a problem today. When I was letting my truck warm up this evening I heard a rattle in the exhaust. When I got home to look at it I noticed that the 3" clamp at the collector/inlet was not keeping the the pipe snug. I can rattle the stock pipe inside the muffler. I need a smaller clamp! I'm going to call Mufflex tomorrow and maybe head to the auto parts store.

#10 ·
Thanks a lot for taking the time to post this!! I too couldn't find much on the DOD24 and wasn't sure it was going to be loud enough for me. My co pilot has sworn that she WILL without notice or reservation divorce me if I put another "double blow out" as she affectionately refers to a custom exhaust, on yet another vehicle!!;) So I need to tone it down and the DOD24 definitely has a nice rumble to it without being obnoxiously loud. I think I can slip that one through the cracks. Thanks again great post! Don't know how to give rep points or where to purchase them but you can have all of mine!

#13 ·
Thanks again fellas and glad I could help! I enjoyed making the vid.

I drove to Charlotte yesterday and really didn't notice the exhaust on the highway. That is until I got downtown, the sun was out, 70 degrees, windows down... perfect. :smileup:

#16 ·
No problem, I'm glad you got some value out of it!

I haven't noticed any mileage changes or performance gains nor really expected any... just sound. That being said, I think the truck had 1500 miles on it when I put the muffler on and it has 3000 now, so I don't have a great reference point. The system does continue to sound better as I get some miles on it. I'll make another vid at around 5k to compare.

I do recommend picking up a 3" U-clamp if you order a Mufflex kit. Even if you don't need it, $3 is pretty cheap insurance.

#19 · (Edited)
I haven't noticed any performance gains nor really expected any... just sound.
Does anyone have any additional feedback or thoughts on whether this 24" Mufflex (Magnaflow) muffler gives any PROVEN HP/TQ power improvements? For perspective DOD24M buyers, the addition of a little more sound is nice, but "no performance gains" coupled with highway drone isn't very buyer compelling especially when it costs over $260..

http://www.mufflex-performance.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MPE&Product_Code=DOD24M&Category_Code=DR09

For those on the fence like myself about the DOD24M, checkout this post and you will understand why the stock muffer flow is extremely restrictive:

Thread - inside of your oem muffler http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=71371

#20 ·
I installed my 24" Mufflex a while ago and have had no issues with the supplied exhaust clamps. Prior to my install I had researched the install by reading threads on here about it and it seems several people have had issues with the supplied clamps.
I disassembled all 3 supplied exhaust clamps and coated the threads with Anti-Seize compound then reassembled them. Maybe I just got lucky, but I had no issues with the supplied clamps. I torqued the 3" clamp to 40- ft lbs and the smaller rear ones to 30 ft lbs.

At the time I did the install my truck had JBA headers on it, and though the Magnaflow muffler is a bit louder than stock, I have had no drone issues with my setup at all. Even at higher freeway speeds.
Honestly with either my headers or the 24" Magnaflow, i havent really noticed any mileage improvement. But the truck seems to pull harder in the upper revs.
I think most performance oriented exhaust improvements will mostly be felt under full throttle conditions in the upper RPMs as that is when the engine is moving the most exhaust through the system. Any exhaust system can function "ok" at freeway cruising rpm and light throttle settings.

One thing I did notice after driving the truck for a while is the MDS system feels a bit stronger and the truck pulls up hills a bit better before downshifting.

I think one look at the guts of the factory muffler posted above by Firehawk is good enough reason to put ANY performance oriented muffler on our trucks and dump the stocker.
Hope this helps.
--Glenn

#22 ·
you'll get the feel of more power as you go up the rpms...that's the difference from the stock chambered setup to the straight thru design.. these motors like to breathe the more you get into it. Your bottleneck now is your Y pipe, try to get a simple one and change it out and the power will feel much smoother...

#24 ·
Bump .

Anyone have more feedback on the 24"?

I have the 18" kit, but on longer trips with MDS off the cabin noise gets annoying. I am thinking about going with the 24" and selling my 18". Cruising the truck is at about 1500 rpm all the time. This is when the cabin noise is the worse with a CC and 3.21 gears.

#28 ·
Would this be the one for stock 5.7 dual exhaust?

Magnaflow

3 in. (in) 2.5 in. (out)

#26 ·
i got the 24 inch magnaflow and it does have drone. anoyiing, to me ,but wife likes it. wished i had gone with the 22 inch wide body muffler

#29 ·
I've had the DOD24M for some time now...about 15,000 miles on my first Ram, and now 17,000 miles on my current one. I agree with the other comments here about the 24" Magnaflow. Mine has gotten slightly louder with time, but still not obnoxious enough my wife would complain...and trust me, she would complain!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.