DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What speed does your MDS hold?

23K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  Goad 
#1 ·
My truck will barely hold at 45 mph with 4:10s. I see an increase of 2-3 mpg in MDS mode, truck just won't hold it. What are everybody else's expirences?

#4 ·
Silly question... How do you know when you're running in MDS??? I have a 2013 Laramie. Is there something on the dash???

#7 ·
My friends 06 4x4 QC Laramie will hold it at 65 on level highway with 3:92's. I took it on a road trip last summer. With the window rolled down it's very easy to hear it go in and out. If you drive above the speed you want to cruise at, example 67 mph, then slightly let off the throttle till you hear the exhaust note change to a kind of a whooshing sound, see if it won't hold it. My Dodge Magnum will hold mds at 75 mph btw on level highway. I got 22 mpg on a tank with my friend's Laramie. Sometimes I would slow slightly below 65 to keep it in mds, though.

#11 ·
A couple years ago i was returning home from either Toronto Canada or Connecticut
I had stopped by Joplin Mo. to say Hello to Stacy, (BlueJet)
i dislike Oklahoma I-44 toll roads & slow traffic because of construction that always seems to be happening there. So i took some country roads & went down through Muskogee, a beautiful drive. My MDS was on most of the time
Here is a pix, look at the temperature, speed, & mpg

#14 · (Edited)
Here are some pics of the mpg's on mostly flat ground and maybe 10 mph winds at 70 (some tailwind) and 55 (crosswind). MDS is on in these pics. I reset the mpg that morning, drove to work in traffic and the pics were taken at lunch on about a 25 mile stretch of highways with a couple of stop lights. To and from work it averages 14+ usually.

#16 ·
Looks like the the 6.4L could get some really good hwy mileage once this winter fuel is gone. Any one of you 6.4L owners have any good towing mpg & reports to share yet? I test drove a 2500 6.4L and didn't jump on it. I know these 6.4L's are so new yet, anything you dislike after driving them a few weeks? I thought with with 4.10's, the truck would be able to hold MDS or go into MDS easier because of the gearing. Have you ever tried downshifting a gear to help hold MDS, say from 5th to 6th? Does the MDS only work in the top gear?

#20 ·
I just did a 700km round trip on the highway... I have come to the conclusion that as soon as the RPM hit 2000, MDS turns off. I had to keep my cruise control under 105km/h in order for MDS to kick in. I averaged 13.3 litres per 100km with an avg of 80km/h speed.

#21 ·
I just finished a 1000 mile trip. The first leg averaged 17.5 mpg on the evic, but hand calc was 16.5 mpg. I mostly drove the speed limit (65-75) and MDS was active most of the time when speeds were below 70 mph. The return home averaged 15.5 evic and 14.5 mpg hand calc. That leg was with a strong headwind the entire time and higher speeds, so MDS was rarely on.

#25 ·
Searched the manual....Obviously, well it is now, the truck that I drove did not have the "eco" message icon turned on.

•​
Fuel Saver Display In Cluster

The “ECO” message is located in the instrument cluster​
display, this message can be turned on or off. To make​
your selection, touch the Fuel Saver Display soft-key,​
until a check-mark appears next to the setting, showing​
that setting has been selected. Touch the back arrow​
soft-key to return to the previous menu.

Olli

#26 ·
My truck doesn't have the ECO display. After having it on a 12' 1500, I assumed it would be on the 2500. Can't find it in any of the menus'. On a brighter note, I'm now feeling the MDS staying engaged up to 65 mph. Fuel economy is up to 18-20 mpg on the EVIC. Break in and much warmer temps are restoring my faith in the 6.4 mpg claims.......

#30 ·
On my 14 6.4 3.73 it has come in as early as 35mph wont hold usually though ..seems to vibrate quite a bit. I just did my first highway drive md to nj on fri 70 mph stayed on and mpg went up 2-3 mpg ... I only have 500 miles on my truck so hoping vibration isnt as noticeable when engine breaks in , truck has been getting smoother as mileage rolls on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.