DODGE RAM FORUM banner

cold air intake

9K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  John Nicholson 
#1 ·
what are the top 3 CAI recommendations for the following engine..

4.7L V8 FFV Engine

2013 Ram 1500 ST

Thanks!

#4 ·
Just get a high flow drop in filter for your present CAI (the OEM CAI is very efficient also). Most CAI for the 4.7 will have you remove the resonator box on the intake, this will create a ton of noise off the Engine, to the point you can't hear yourself think in the cab. But as for modding, you have all the right in the world to mod your truck for other reasons, that being said, the only one I know for the 2013 4.7l would be the K&N

#6 ·
As Asur said, just modify the stock air box and throw in an aftermarket filter. It will give you exactly the same gains as an aftermarket system for a lot less cost. On a 4.7 the open design CAI's are super loud. I had an Airaid on my 2012 4.7 and was getting close to the point of taking it off just because it was so loud and resonated so much.

As far as aftermarket filters go I would stay away from K&N for a daily driver. While they flow really well they do a terrible job of actually filtering the air. Look for some aftermarket ones like Wix, Amsoil, or Green Filters.

#8 ·
I have the Airraid CAI on my 2013,wasn't worth the money it cost me.
Follow the advice above,if you want a bit more fab yourself a homemade ram air tube to feed more air into the stock box, the only thing faster will be your wallet,causes it's alot lighter:smileup:

#12 ·
Well I did a search and found a mood done by KRAZYK that removed the air hat and replaced the accordion tubing with smooth pvc or whatever 3" piping you want to use. It was simple and inexpensive. I did the install in about 30 mins and immediately left on a 400+ mile road trip. I can honestly say I gained about 2-3 mpg. Cruising between 70-85mph I never dropped below 16mpg and stayed above 17 until I got to Texas and it's 75mph speed limit (85 ;-)). I normally get 14-15.5 staying under 75 so I know that if I did that on the way home I'd see 17 easy. I see posts of people getting 20 mpg or better but I just don't see it happening. Maybe it's my setup 20" wheels and 3.92 gears. Correct me if I'm wrong but till then I'm happy with 17.

Oh and before the mod I had trouble chirping the tires. After the mod I can spin em till the rev limiter kicks in!

#25 ·
Cold air intake

Shoot I just read all of these comments and now I starting to regret the decision I made when I ordered the Spectre CAI.

I currently have a K&N air filter in the box, now im beginning to think I should have just modified the box and called it good.

Also, anyone know of headers for the 2008 Dodge Ram with the 4.7L FFV 287, I was curious if they even existed.

Thanks

#27 · (Edited)
I honestly don't intend to seem critical guys... but how many of us are doing real research...and actually thinking about what our friends here tell us?

Brandon said it plain and simple. The intakes on our trucks are already CAI. Have you taken the time to notice the filter-box gets its air from a plenum leading directly from the front air dam?

Did you notice he mentioned how sorry KN filters are? (KN filters truthfully tell you they have very low resistance to air movement. How? By not filtering the air worth poop. If a filter has big holes in it's media... it will allow air to pass freely... along with dirt... which ruins the life of your engine.)

Buy good filters and keep the intake system CLEAN. (Have you noticed your filter-box simply un-plugs from it's mount? When you pop the top off it and pull out your old dirty filter, pull the lower box UP and off it's mount. Wash it out. Get rid of all the dirt and dead bugs which slows air movement and contaminates your filter and engine. Dry it with a towel and reinstall it.... along with a nice new standard filter of your choice...even Fram makes a decent air filter. Stay away from STP filters. If you go to the autozone and see their cheap line of STP filters and compare them to anyone else's you can see how thin and poorly constructed they are. The Fram and the Purolator lines are both good and inexpensive. Change them OFTEN... Your engine sucks in SEVEN TIMES more air than vaporized-fuel when it runs. This means that for every tank full of gas your engine sucks 8.5 million cu ft of air right off the roads. (I think I got that math right. It's approximately 21.6 million litres of air to mix with a 32 gal tank.)

Anyway... EPA mileage is important to mfr's and they've got the intake pretty well down. Save your money for gas.

#29 ·
I should of done the same thing.
My Airraid box is finally up to par after building a cover for it,and installing an extra ram air tube to feed it.
I could of saved myself alot of money and time,if i'd of done what you guys did:smileup:.
After roughly 15 hours spent on my AirRaid box doing it the way Air Raid should have done,i figure it's finally back to matching the factories air box for performance.

#31 ·
Any guys interested in a cheaper affordable air intake should check out a vendor on eBay called airintakesndparts. He has a air intake for a 4.7. I have a 2013 4.7 and it fits fine in my truck. Sounds great in the mid to high power band. Lower rpms you can barely hear it. Overall I've been satisfied with my $60 purchase with shipping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.