DODGE RAM FORUM banner

12.5 avg mpg?

4K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  RNTbone 
#1 ·
Was wondering if this was normal? Little bit of info I own a 2011 1500 outdoorsman with just over 10,000miles. Most of it is all city/military base driving. Did I buy a lemon?

#4 ·
I have a 2013 QC rental 2wd with the 4.7 and I am averaging 17mpg it is usually over 22 on the highway, I am loving the MPG's. My 2013 Lone Star Hemi CC is lucky to AVG 13

#5 · (Edited)
19.1 here

I average 19.1 mixed city rural road with seed around 45-60mph.i just hit 12,000 .What transmission is in the 2011, The 2012 has the 6 SD. I do have a reg cab sb running 3.55 ls diff. I will find out my highway mileage this summer with our first road trip together :smiley_thumbs_up:

#6 ·
LWebster and Kmose; that kind of mileage is unusual for the 4.7. But so many factors could be affecting your gas mileage and the main factor is fuel blends. It is pretty comforting when a 5.7L Hemi like whiteV8's can get over 18mpg on average in the Arizona desert. Terrain around Phoenix is mainly flat but when heading into hill country, mileage will show it's differences. Use your warranty and have your dealer service department check your truck over if in doubt.

#7 ·
That's not normal.

Do you leave the truck idle a lot? Even city mpg I get at least 15mpg on a bad day. I am in Florida though so that means no hills. But the worst tank I ever got was an average of just over 15mpg and that was stop and go traffic, leaving it idling for long periods of time at job sites(10+ minutes at a time), etc. The only time I got worse was a few weekends ago towing a trailer up to NC which we averages just over 12mpg at ~70mph give or take 5mph. On the highway empty I easily get over 20mpg. And to and from work my average is normally 16-17mpg, not highway but also not stop and go traffic.

#9 ·

Hello all,

Stop and Go or Traffic 11 to 14

Avg City 15 to 17

Avg Hwy 18 to 22

Best ever long run Hwy 23.3

worse ever combo 10 to 12

I carry an average of 1000 pounds of tool & stuff.

I have only 37000 on my 2009 a good mix of Hwy and City

Wish it could be better, but it could be worse. I find that these big SUV get a lot worse than us.

Rich

PS when I want to see good mileage I ride my Yamaha V-Star 1300 :smileup:

#12 ·
My 13 RCSB with 3.55's easily pulls down 23 at 75mph,have seen over 30 cruising back roads at 45/50 mph.
Even in the city it pulls down 19/20 if i drive it decent
Mods are Magnaflow catback dual exhaust / ported and knife edged 78mm throttle body / Airraid CAI / Mopar tonnue cover / 2" suspension drop front and rear/ Redline synthetic oils in motor and diff.
I also run the tires slightly over their max pressure.

#18 ·
I do a lot of city driving and I was still able to keep around 15-16. I bought a super tuner and getting 16-18 now. Well worth it on the 4.7 engine to go with superchips. It also depends on how you drive. I could see getting 11-12 if you're constantly on the gas. I went from a 26+/gal v6 accord to the ram. I pay attention to my rpm and only get on it when I need to. At least I try. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.