DODGE RAM FORUM banner

New to me 84 Dodge project

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  84ram.carr 
#1 ·
My dad's owned the truck for the last four years or so and now I've got it, dad upgraded to an 01 Dodge. It has a few problems but nothing I can't handle.

Dad had a problem with the water pump and radiator and over heated it a couple of times. Well now it has a new water pump and radiator and he says it's still over heating. I think it's a blown head gasket.

Also has a problem with the heater/defroster but that's likely a vacuum line.

Will get it moved from dads to my house this next weekend and I'll then be able to dig into it and see what eel I can find.

Plans include a set of wheels and a paint job, along with a late model 40/20/40 seat and then it will likely become my 14 year old daughters first ride.

John

See less See more
#3 ·
Rumble you are correct it is relatively rust free. I've not pulled a carfax on it to see where it's spent most of its life, but from the condition it was in when my dad bought it several years ago, it appears to have been well cared for. I think the problems my dad had with it recently are just age catching up to it. Will post more pics when I get back from this infernal business trip, gotta keep the money coming in cause you know what the Chevy guys say: MORE OFTEN PARTS ARE REQUIRED. AKA. MOPAR.

#5 ·
I don't agree with what chevy guys say about mopar. I am a fan of gm and owned both chevey and gmc I'm a bigger fan of my flock. Then the genrels army. I've un knowingly became the mopar or no car guy litterly! With 3 rams and a caravan. So looks like I have 3 sheeps and a herder! But it looks like your truck should be a breeze and you won't whant to give it up when your done. Trust me my oldest is useing my 82 and it makes me crazy.

#7 ·
that is a pretty nice looking truck. if you do plan on giving it to your son eventually you should make sure to upgrade things like putting the headlights on relays. makes a huge difference. it also makes the headlight system more reliable.

#9 ·
Well it went and got cold on us here in Indian Territory so I had to take the truck to the shop at work to work on it.

Found an awesome deal on CL for a set of tires and wheels for a Benni so I pounced

Put the wheels on this morning and here's the new look:

The old man running boards have gotta go!!!

Ahhhh! Looks much better. Amazing what a little time with an impact and a saws-all can change.

A pic with a less clutter.

Well I'd like to say that the next pic's will be of the new paint but I have a long way to go before those.

Will be doing the head gasket job this weekend, no black Friday shopping for me NO WAY!!

I'll probably, well I'll try to take a bunch of pic's during that chore to try and document the condition of a 126K first gen 318 CID.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.