DODGE RAM FORUM banner

What's your best Ram 1500 Hemi, 6-speed MPG?

• Less than 12 mpg

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • 12 to 13 mpg

Votes: 48 10.2%
  • 14 to 15 mpg

Votes: 91 19.4%
  • 16 to 17 mpg

Votes: 106 22.6%
  • 18 to 19 mpg

Votes: 90 19.2%
  • 20 to 21 mpg

Votes: 70 14.9%
  • 22 to 23 mpg

Votes: 38 8.1%
  • 24 to 25 mpg

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • more than 25 mpg

Votes: 0 0.0%

What's your Ram 1500 Hemi 6-speed MPG?

34K views 119 replies 79 participants last post by  170099 
#1 · (Edited)
Another poll! This time lets see what percentage is getting max mpg!

Normal rounding rules apply when choosing an answer.

#33 ·
Resi Construction......all figured into overhead. If gas goes up to 100.00 per gallon that cost would be used to calculate fuel OH. That is why it doesn't matter. Client is paying for it. As costs rise so does my estimating. For example a job I completed in the 80's would now cost double for the exact same job......and I pocket/net about the same amount now as then.

#35 · (Edited)
You should all see an increase in MPG when you get closer to the 5,000 mile mark

Hot temperatures don't seem to mean much gasoline wise
The OEM tires are highway tires, so not much friction while driving
weight, stop & go driving, as well as long idling periods are all mpg killers

most of the Dodge Rams transmissions have the same top gear ratio
45RFE had the top 0.75:1 ratio ... in 4th gear
545RFE has the top 0.67:1 ratio ... in 5th gear
65RFE has the top 0.67:1 ratio ... in 6th gear
Chrysler 8 speed, torqueflight 8, ZF 8HP45 , & 845RE are all names for the new 8 speed, it also has the top ratio of 0.67:1 in 8th gear

so the rear differential ratio is what gives us the higher or lower MPG
3.21, 3.55. 3.92, 4.11, etc.

this was in Oklahoma, near Muskogee, a couple years ago
high temps, high highway speed, fairly flat land, no wind, Fuel Saver light is on, at 50,000 odometer reading, 17.4 MPG

#36 ·
I didn't post in the poll because my truck is an 05 non mds hemi. Best mileage that I ever got was coming up to Maine from Englishtown, NJ from drag racing running Sunoco 94 octane gas. 440 miles and used 22 gallons= exactly 20 mpg. Made it on one tank with gas to spare. I have gotten around 22 mpg driving my friend's 06 Ram with mds. My truck normally averages around 16 mpg.

#40 ·
Just drove to NYC 800 kms. Avg 13.5 l/100 at about 125 km/hr. Still only have just over 3000 kms. That's about 17.5 mpg. It also brought the trucks total evic avg down to 14 l/100 from 20 which is what it was before the trip. Given my short 5min commute to work ea day. I think it's pretty good for a big truck. It was also fun to pass some left lane bandits.
For comparison my wife's equinox did 11.5 l/100 to Florida at those speeds. It's a 6 cyl awd

I'm really impressed by the way the truck handled the curves for such a high centre of gravity and heavy truck.

I think It will get better mpg in warmer weather and as it breaks in more.

Anyone know if the ECM/engine is programmed to run richer during break in?

#51 · (Edited)
I just got back from a hunting trip. 2800 miles total spanning from Alabama all the way to Michigan. (The U.P.) Running 70 on the interstate the entire way this was my MPG over the trip. 21.3 MPG. All I have is a soft rollup tonneau cover and a drop in K&N air filter.
Do you have a Quad or a Crew Cab? I hope I can get even close to that average fuel mileage. I'm going on a 500 mile round trip tomorrow. This will be the longest single trip for my 2013 Longhorn.

#53 ·
During this past Summer I was amazed at getting 17-19mpg regularly and that was going about 5mph over the posted speed limits. But, sure enough. It's the damn fall/winter time again and the 10% ethanol garbage gas is back. I'm back down to around 11-13mpg again. I HATE ETHANOL!!!!!

#59 ·
Hi Silvercreek,

Well that's not entirely impossible. Didn't your parents ever tell you how they walked through 2feet of snow two miles up hill both ways to and from school?

:4-dontknow:

preachp

#55 ·
I drove from Ohio to Utah a couple weeks ago. My truck was going 70 mph most of the way except for the snow where at times I was only going 30 mph. I also let it run in the mornings to warm up in the hotel parking lots while I scraped the snow and loaded up my stuff. I averaged 15.4 mpg over 1700 miles. That's real world. 3.55 gears, 87 octane gas, normal driving w/ cruise control most of the time. I didn't calculate it by hand just reset the trip timer and fuel gauge when I first left and let it calculate the whole trip.

If I'm on flat ground going 60-65 it will avg 19-20 but once you go in the mountains or go over 70 mph the mileage drops like a rock. I bought it because it said 20 mpg hwy and I thought I could probably get a little better than that by driving like an old man, but I can't even get it to avg out the 20 mpg its rated at.

My GMC on the other hand has no problem getting 20-21 mpg at 70 and I'll still get about 18-19 mpg rolling 80-85 mph.

#56 ·
11.5 in town for the r/t and 19 on the highway here

#57 ·
My lone star 4x4 CC usually avg's 12'a to 13's per tank. Max I have gotten on a highway runs was in the mid to high 15's. I am sure my tires don't help my mpg compared to the car tires that come on the ram but it's no worse than any of my friends 4x4's from Chevy and ford.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.