DODGE RAM FORUM banner

shift KNOB?

6K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  w4grt 
#1 ·
hi all...wondering about those of you with the knob shifter...

i test drove a sport with it & it felt "unsatisfying" :)

curious to hear owners thoughts & experiences...

is it weird? did you get used to it? love/hate it?

thanks!

#6 ·
This is exactly how I feel. After you get used to it, which takes all of 2 days, floor and column shifters will feel cumbersome and outdated. I like my high speed, space efficient knob.

Even if you don't like it, would you really let something that you only interact with at the very beginning and end of most drives keep you from buying a particular brand of truck?

#8 ·
I was so upset about the knob that I was going to buy a different brand... then I drove them all. No comparison. I made a big deal about it, but decided I could live with it. After 4 weeks, I don't even notice it. Hard to believe, but it's a non-issue. The 8 speed is so smooth

#9 ·
With it being an automatic, the method for putting it in gear is largely irrelevant. Just a different method to get used to. Good thing it doesn't have a beanstalk on the right side of the column or many people would probably have it torn off trying to shift gears LOL. No different really than getting used to push button start over having to turn a key.

#11 ·
Okay ... it's agreed .. The KNOB is the new cool..... the KNOB makes more sense..... the KNOB makes everything else seem old fashion... Reps to anyone who can come up with a better name for it that the KNOB!

Otherwise I'm just gonna have to get used to everyone on this Z going on and on about how much they love their knob. LOL

#15 ·
That's hysterical! In a "Sorry that happened to you" sort of way but still. If ya don't laugh you'll cuss.

#17 ·
Lol, I got used to its position and size fairly quickly, I don't even look anymore. Also the clicks are way more positive than the volume knob or fan knob. My dad almost blasted his ears out trying to put my truck in D trying to give it that authoritative click to the right.

#23 ·
Took me no time to get use to it. The only thing I don't like about it is you can't shift from Neutral to Drive without putting your foot on the brake such as when going through a car wash and reaching the end. Last time the car wash attendants put the car about 10 feet behind me so once I got to the end of the car wash where it quit pulling me, I had to quickly hit the brakes and put it in Drive and then take off so the car behind me didn't roll into me. I see no logical reason why I shouldn't be able to go straight from N to D without hitting my brakes.

#24 ·
Took me a day or two to get used to it.

Had the truck 6 days now, wife drove it for the first time yesterday. I texted her to see how she liked it, her response was "It's nice, but I can't seem to find the gear shift thingy"

Ha ha ha! LMAO!

:doh::LOL:

#32 ·
I know I am a bit late but I love my knob! hehe Seriously though I prefer the knob now that I have used it. Some people think the "bucket" in the middle is ugly but I like it, you don't have stuff moving all over the place and scratching it up. Also I have a 1 liter water bottle I take with me everywhere and the bucket is a great place for it.

#34 ·
might as well get used to it. These electronic transmissions have no need for mechanical linkage, so why would they spend the money to install it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.