Votes: 134 28.8%
  • REALLY wish I went with the 5.7

Votes: 103 22.2%
  • I'm not picky..

Votes: 35 7.5%

Poll: Happy with your 4.7?

144K views 379 replies 148 participants last post by  woody31 
#1 ·
Me personally, I wish I would have spent the extra coin for the 5.7.. it wouldnt have been that much more expinsive, and with the MDS system you get the same MPGs as the 4.7.

I stuck to my budget and the only thing I HAD to have was a black CrewCab. I just wish I would have added 5.7 and dual exhaust to that list lol.

Oh well.. it was my first purchase of a new vehicle so all I can do is learn.

#29 ·
Agreed. I REALLY don't feel like my foot is all that heavy though. I'm really starting to wonder. I'm going to try 89 octane gas and see if that makes a difference at all when I go to refill the tank.

#30 ·
The higher octane won't help your mpg don't waste the money unless it's pinging. Wow, even with ethanol free gas you get bad mileage! I run 93 with 10% ethanol (superchips 91 tune) and get like 17 city, 20+ hwy. Right now it's tuned stock as I'm taking it to the dealer and all week it's been around 16 city, still have the 93 octane in it, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Try not to cruise at constant speeds for long periods as to properly break in an engine you want to vary the rpm's alot. If you're cruising on the highway, cruise for 5 minutes at a time and vary between 55mph, then 70mph, then 60....etc.....it will hopefully help. Also, you can run it a little hard (accelerate a little hard) time from time, just don't abuse it and redline it at every stop light. Going too easy on an engine does not help break in.....that being said most newer cars have the engines broke in before installed in the car, so isn't really necessary, but in your case it may help. You should be getting at least 14 city 19 hwy as rated especially with pure gas.

#31 ·
Love my 4.7

I am happy with my purchase. I went with a base truck, 1500 long bed with the 4.7 engine. For what I paid I think I got a lot of truck for 20g. The 4.7 makes a real nice exhaust note through Flowmaster catback. If the automatic trans is hunting for gears I just hit the button for the haul/towing option. No regrets!

#32 ·
I got it used, and couldnt find a Hemi in the truck i wanted. Honestly, if there wasnt a Hemi out there id be perfectly happy. I got an good exhaust on it and a K&N. The truck pulls, hauls and runs faster then most. I can get 15mpg around town and 19 on the road, and yes thats by the "Fill and Calculate" method. It's a fine truck.

#33 ·
I got mine used and realy did not care if it was the 5.7 or 4.7. I have heard from multiple mechanic friends of mine that the 4.7 is the more reliable of the two. I love my 4.7 although it has had a bit of upgrades to help it along like Gibbson Headers, Full Flowmaster exhaust, K&N CAI, Functional ram air hood, electric cooling fans, and HO cams from air ram, but the 5 speed trany helps to keep the MPG in check and the power to the ground. I have quite a few friends here with 5.7s and none of them can take me from light to light but I am the only lowered one and they all have lift kits and big tires except 1 who is bone stock but he is no match.....

#34 ·
Was looking to get the 5.7 at the dealer,but one on the lot stuck out at me. It just happened to be a 2007 4.7 magnum. The reason I took it is because I got it at retail price, but it had alot of extras(magnaflows,side step rails,17"moto metal wheels,3" lift,K&N everything,window rain guards,Goodyear MT/Rs. Got it in Feburary with 29,000 miles. It seemed like a no brainer. Anyone know how much it would cost to have that work done?

#35 ·
Oh good lord, adding it all up

$400 magnaflow
$300-500 steps
$1000 moto metals (maybe a bit less depending on size)
3 inch lift depends on what you have. If its a REAL lift vs 2.5" leveling and 1" body vs suspension but anywhere from 400-2000
$125 window flares
$1200-1500 MT/R's

You made out pretty well by the sounds of it. What kind of lift is it.

#37 ·
I'm not a pro on this, but appears to be a leveling kit. There are spacers from front to back as if the body was lifted from frame. Wheels are 17''. So I guess I made a good call. Plan to add extras also. What are the stock gears on 2007 and where would it say. Is it on drive axel?

#39 ·
If you still have the window sticker, (I'm a hoarder with my paperwork) it should be on the sticker somewhere. My 2011 has 3.55's stock, but they range.

#38 ·
I'm not a pro on this, but appears to be a leveling kit. There are spacers from front to back as if the body was lifted from frame. Wheels are 17''. So I guess I made a good call. Plan to add extras also. What are the stock gears on 2007 and where would it say. Is it on drive axel?
Sounds like a body lift. A leveling kit uses spacers on the front springs to lift just an inch or two or at most three. Sometimes leveling kits also give a small lift in the back. If there are spacers between the body and frame that is a body lift kit. They are good for looks, but the bad thing is you don't gain any ground clearance (as you would with a suspension lift). But if all you care about is looks they are fine. Sounds like you got a good deal...

I suggest you request your trucks build sheet here(VIN required):
http://www.dodge.com/wccsapp/universal/D/index.jsp?appStr=wccs&titleStr=Contact+Dodge&familyStr=brand&franchise=D&actionURL=%2Fwccs%2Fbrand_forms%2Fus%2Fwebform.jsp&promotion=null&category=U
It will have your rear gear ratio on it.

#41 ·
Overall I'm happy with my 4.7. My father in law has the Hemi, and after driving both, the only thing I was real impressed with was the better sound of the hemi. I didn't buy my truck to race or haul. I just wanted to be in a Ram that looked better than any ford or chevy out there in my class. While the Hemi may rule the mpg on highway, my father in laws doesn't do much better than mine in town, and thats where I do most of my driving.

#42 ·
Well I ordered that build sheet and it explains why I had alot of the extras. It's the "thunder road edition and tow trailer package". Also 3.92 gears which is good. According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory
with the following:
*M9 Cloth 40/20/40 Prem Bench Seat
-D5 Med Slate Gray
AF3 Quad Cab Thunder Road Value Group
AHC Trailer Tow Group
APAS Monotone Paint
BAZS 136 Amp Alternator
BCQP 750 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BRRS 4 Wheel Disc Rr Anti-Lock Brakes
CBEP 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
CGDS Front Height Adjust Shoulder Belts
CG3S Advanced Multistage Front Air Bags**
CKES Front Seat Area Carpet
CSPS Passenger Assist Handle
CSXP Rear 60/40 Split Folding Seat
CUES Rear Underseat Compartment Storage
CUSS Overhead Console w/Trip Computer
CVHP Front Center Seat Cushion Storage
DGES All 5-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGQ 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission
DH5S Elec Shift-on-the-Fly P/Time T/Case
DJMS 205MM HD Front Axle
DMHP 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
DRBS Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
EVA 4.7L V8 MPI Engine
GACS Tinted Glass Windows
GFDP Rear Sliding Window
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GNMS Passenger Side Sun Visor w/Mirror
GTSS Power Heated Mirrors, Fold-Away
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
GXMS Remote Keyless Entry
GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
HAAS Air Conditioning
HGBS Dash Liner Insulation
HGFS Floor Tunnel Insulation
JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JBYS Instr. Panel Color Keyed Bezel
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
JKYS Power Accessory Delay
JPBS Power Locks
JPDS Power Windows, Driver One-Touch
JRDP Power Driver Seat
JTHP Power 6-Way Driver Seat
K4WP STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LNJP Fog Lamps
LPES Cargo Lamp
MBFS Bright Rear Bumper
MCMS Body Color Upper Fascia
MCTS Bright Front Bumper
MDAS Front License Plate Bracket
MF1P Bright/Bright Grille
MGAS Ram's Head Badge
MTDS SLT Badge
MUSS 4X4 Badge
MWDS Removable Tailgate w/Caliper Latches
MXBS Front Air Dam
MXCS Front Bumper Sight Shields
NAE California Emissions
NBKP EVAP Control System
NFWS 26 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
NHMS Speed Control
NZDP Next Generation Engine Controller
PW7A Bright White Clear Coat
QW7S Bright White Clear Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RCDS 4 Speakers
RDDP Fixed Long Mast Antenna
REFS AM/FM Compact Disc Radio
RSAP Sirius Satellite Radio
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCFS 4-Spoke Steering Wheel
SFBS Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SGBS Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SUAS Tilt Steering Column
TBBS Full Size Spare Tire
TBMS Tire Carrier Winch
TTJP P275/60R20 BSW All Season Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WGAP 20" Steel Spare Wheel
WLZC All Aluminum Wheels
WMJP Center Hub
WPAP 20" Aluminum Wheels
XA8S Non Adjustable Pedals
XBNP Tip Start
XBSS Pickup Box
XFHP Class IV Receiver Hitch
XFKP 7 Pin Wiring Harness
XFUS Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring
XGWP Stain Repel Seat Fabric
X81S Instrument Panel Parts Module
X88S Tire & Wheel Parts Module
X9AP For More Info, Call 888-539-7474
X97P 1-Year Service Provided by SIRIUS

#46 ·
Is this Programmer a Dud?

Hey Ram Fans,

I'm happy with my 4.7L. I average 15.9mpg stock. I've been thinking about a programmer. Everyone says they spent $500 and didn't notice a change. I'm not trying to be cheap but I figure if the part below doesn't work, I'm out $50. Not bad but, why spend $ on a dud? Can I get an opinion from those who probably know better than me please?

Thanks,
Kyle

http://performancechipsnow.com/Dodge Performance Chips/Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 1994-2011

#48 ·
That "chip" doesn't even really say what it does, it looks similar to all the other "chips" out there, that don't help you at all. They usually trick the IAT sensor or something similar that throws off the air/fuel ratio and makes it run a little rich, this would actually decrease power and hurt mpg, the opposite of what they claim...looks like junk in my opinion. They haven't come out with tuners yet for the 2011's, but I would definitely wait until they do and spend the $300 some dollars on one....superchips for my year (2010) adds 50hp and 55ft lb, that's ALOT. Seeing as your truck has the same engine as mine, when they do crack the code, it should give you the same benefits. It is extremely noticeable, like I gained 2 cylinders.

#49 ·
Just for reference, my superchips flashpaq cost like $360.00 shipped from superchips directly, you can get them cheaper elsewhere. I think right now superchips is offering $25 off. I think the diablo predators are even cheaper too. I always find it amusing that people won't hesitate to buy an intake or exhaust that cost the same as a tuner, maybe more, and will give maybe 5-15hp max, then with tuners that will definitely give more power than that, plus all the other transmission benefits, diagnostic tools, etc.... they don't want to spend the money.... I'm not picking on you but if I could only have one mod to my truck it would definitely be the superchips (especially with my model and year, since it gains so much).

#50 ·
Well I've got over a thousand miles now, a few fill-ups later and still getting avg of 9.7mpg mixed highway/city but by far more city driving. I only have a magnaflow muffler for any kind of performance gains otherwise stock, and the MPG's just suck so far. I may try getting an intake or something to help a bit but I don't know what to say. Its only an ST and has 3.55 gears which SHOULD be decent for the MPG's and I seem to get better MPG's when I run the tow mode or keep it in 5 instead of all the way into the 6th gear section. I'm getting a bit frustrated with it and may take it into the dealership.

#53 ·
E85

While I'm at it, I thought I'd ask another question. I have the Flex Fuel on the '11 Ram (4.7L) and E85 is cheaper. But, I've read the mpg goes down and I'm afraid the ethanol will crud up my fuel system. Any thoughts. I'm currently running 87 octane (owner's manual recommended) and as I posted eariler, I get 15.9mpg. Not bad, and I didn't buy it for fuel mileage. So is there anything gained by running E85. Can you safely switch back and forth?

THanks in advance,
Kyle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.