DODGE RAM FORUM banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disturbing Hemi Catastrophic Failure Rumor

32K views 146 replies 59 participants last post by  GrayhemiST 
#1 ·
As most of you already know, I am a Ram, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep tech at a dealership. Occassionally, we talk to Chrysler technical support and hear a few rumors about upcoming recalls, bullitens, and things that just happen.

The other day a coworker was speaking to a tech rep and it seems that some of the newer Hemi engines have a problem with the timing chain guide/tensioner assembly and it's causing the chain to fail in some fashion and evidently it's causing catastrophic engine failure (valves and pistons coming together at high speed).

Now, when asked what "newer" meant, the rep says it is unclear at what point these guide assemblies were installed but he did say that the part is a redesign that was intended to save money. Looks like that's going to backfire.

As of this point, it is also unclear what will be done to identify affected vehicles and what will be done to remedy the problem. I don't know if this is a problem limited to the 5.7 engines or if the 6.4 is also included. I will keep an eye out for more info on this matter and post anything I find. Keep in mind that though the source is a Chryslelr tech rep, it's still just a rumor at this point and I have yet to see this failure for myself.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Man RamTech, you really know how to start some worrying with this one. But my honest feelings about this rumor is this..........Was it really the fault of the tensioner or was it the fault of the operator's maintenance habits. Low to no oil pressure to the cam chain tensioner sounds more like the path to this failure. Because I really think we'd have a whole batch of locked up, tooth skippin', Hemi's by now. Especially with the one's nearing 100K bud. Seriously though, you think if our 345's fail, we can opt for the 392 installed instead?:smileup:

#6 ·
As I understand it, this isn't an isolated incident and it's happening on "newer" engines. I would assume by newer, they are referring to the Eagle engine and possibly a production run from the last year or two. The Hemi tensioner isn't hydraulic, but rather a spring against a guide shoe.

#9 ·
Well, thanks for the heads-up, I am glad you are around. I will take a peek at mine and see how she's doin next oil change. With only 30k I can't imagine I need to be worried yet.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info! I am looking forward to updates!

#11 ·
I didn't think any manufacturer still made interference engines. Although I guess it isn't usually a big deal with timing chain vehicles.

#15 ·
Thanks for the heads up Randy... will be on the look out for this...

Do you know of any "warning signs" that this may be happening? Or is it one of those things that just happens, and you don't know it until you're sittin' on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck?

Exco

#20 ·
great info and heads up :rep:

#21 ·
I'm just curious...I've been on this forum for about a year now since I bough my '12 Express...November 8th purchase date. I certainly don't spend all my time on this forum here, nor have I read all the posts. Still, I can't recall any catastrophic failure posts fitting this sceanario. And Ram Tech, I'm not doubting what you're reporting here. I'm just thinking back if we've had any similar engine failures of this magnitude to follow a time line.

#24 ·
Well, if it's what we've been seeing for a while on the LXs with the 5.7L, then it's the eagle engines with a few older ones thrown in for good measure. The timing chain tensioner spring fails causing the timing chain to hit the slider which will basically break the slider into several pieces and sometimes crack the thrust plate. It has happened on a few stock vehicles, but typically it's seen with mildly modified engines. The basic fix is to swap in a 6.1L thrust plate and there will be no issues. You can tell the difference between the 6.1L thrust plate because it's black and the 5.7L one is silver/grey. Just the fix that the LX guys have been doing for the past few years.

#25 ·
With the PENTASTAR 3.7-liter V-6 in some vehicles being reported by websites as having a badly designed head
one site reads, 7500 2012 Jeeps sitting in dealerships with a bad head

another site reads, 1,300 new Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram brand vehicles are in Chrysler dealerships awaiting maintenance because of defective cylinder heads

------------------------------------------------------------------
then the other issue with 667 V-6 engines being recalled
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 CHRYSLER VEHICLES, INCLUDING 200 AND TOWN AND COUNTRY MODELS, DODGE VEHICLES, INCLUDING CHARGER, DURANGO, GRAND CARAVAN AND JOURNEY MODELS AND JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM AUGUST 31, 2011, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 13, 2011, THAT ARE EQUIPPED WITH 3.6L ENGINES. THESE ENGINES MAY EXPERIENCE CONNECTING ROD BEARING FAILURE DUE TO DEBRIS INSIDE THE ENGINE BLOCK.

Consequences:
CONNECTING ROD FAILURE MAY LEAD TO ENGINE SEIZURE WHICH MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/chrysler/200/recalls/#ixzz2CPOCciB3

you can bet Chrysler will be all over any other problems quickly

#27 ·
With the PENTASTAR 3.7-liter V-6 in some vehicles being reported by websites as having a badly designed head
one site reads, 7500 2012 Jeeps sitting in dealerships with a bad head

another site reads, 1,300 new Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram brand vehicles are in Chrysler dealerships awaiting maintenance because of defective cylinder heads

------------------------------------------------------------------
then the other issue with 667 V-6 engines being recalled
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 CHRYSLER VEHICLES, INCLUDING 200 AND TOWN AND COUNTRY MODELS, DODGE VEHICLES, INCLUDING CHARGER, DURANGO, GRAND CARAVAN AND JOURNEY MODELS AND JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM AUGUST 31, 2011, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 13, 2011, THAT ARE EQUIPPED WITH 3.6L ENGINES. THESE ENGINES MAY EXPERIENCE CONNECTING ROD BEARING FAILURE DUE TO DEBRIS INSIDE THE ENGINE BLOCK.

Consequences:
CONNECTING ROD FAILURE MAY LEAD TO ENGINE SEIZURE WHICH MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/chrysler/200/recalls/#ixzz2CPOCciB3

you can bet Chrysler will be all over any other problems quickly

I can confirm the 3.6 Pentastar head issue. It typically effects the even numbered cylinders and causes codes P0300, P0302, P0304, and P0306 to be set in the PCM and causes some rough running.

#28 ·
that would explain what Ravenx mentioned on a Challenger site, about the HEMI failure
18 vehicles, all had been slightly modified, had this failure
they were discussing if each of these engines were in the MDS mode when it happened, or if was more random

#30 ·
Replacing the engine is the only option when there's a hole in the block. From what I understand this failure is happening to stock engines as well and if this is indeed the case, a recall may very well be issued to install a redesigned part. At this point, it's impossible to say what, if anything, will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.