DODGE RAM FORUM banner

HID Compatability Check

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Jay905 
#1 ·
So I have been browsing the forum and google. and all I hear is DO NOT PUT HID's ON YOUR RAM,
I am not sure why there is so many problems, Flickering , one light out etc..

does anyone have and experience with these issues or have a fix. or does anyone know if this problem has been fixed with the 2013 ram 1500 ?

Input welcome:smileup:

#2 ·
I have a plug n play set on my 08... daytime running lights are bit messed, so i just leave lows on, and my driver side high beam doesnt swift to halogen. Sometimes when I go from stop to go at a red light or such, My HID's will quickly turn on and off for 1 second.. quick flash... These are all problems I can fix, and the colder it is, the more the flicker will happen.. But I have researched that resistors will fix the flickers, and I have them sitting on my desk waiting for it to warm up outside.

All in all, HID's are alot better lighting then halogens, dont even need high beams.

#3 ·
I am running HIDs in my projectors, no problems here.

Retro-solutions 55W kit. No flickering. No lamp out. And when in the projects they help with the High beams too because of the shutter in the projectors. I didn't put them in the High beam bulbs because these bulbs take a moment (10 seconds?) to warm up fully and when the HID's in the projects I really don't think you would notice them in the high beam location anyways, these projectors are awesome with a good bulb installed.

#4 ·
The reason so many people have issues is because most buy either a cheap kit or don't research what is needed to make it work properly. The joys of having a canbus system is that there are constant loop checks done, which fluctuates the input voltage and that messes with a lot of ballasts. Then throw in the low-voltage DRL setup and it's a recipe for lots of complaints. If you run a system with a relay and proper resistors/voltage regulators, then you won't have any issues.

#6 ·
Nope, the fogs you can literally run any off the shelf system plug them in and away they go.
To add to what's been posted up above you can now get CANBUS ballasts, these have the resistors built in and will eliminate any issues with flickering or bulb out issues. Another option is to buy a quality HID kit then get the error eliminators from DDM tuning, they are inexpensive and work great and as an added bonus they will make the system entirely plug and play, no need for relays and a wiring kit. For us canucks with daytime running lights, if your wanting HID's the only option is to run separate wiring with relays. The 4th gens however run the hi's at low voltage for DRL's. Most don't do their hi's anyway.

#8 ·
Hey I have a 2013 ram sport with the projector low beams. I've been using the canbus generation 3 kit 35 watt 6000k. This has been a nightmare for me!! The ballast and bulbs for the HID kit on the passenger side have burned out on my twice now this summer and i've only had the truck 5 months. Its a good quality kit, canbus 3 no wiring harness and no flickering issues, but they keep burning out. So i dont' know what to do now. This is driving me insane too, i can't stand halogen bulbs, the light they emit are just garage. I can't believe dodge cheaped out on the HID kits for these trucks, the 2013 F-150's have HID kit stock with there projector low beams!! I dont even want to drive this truck at night now with stock halogens!

Any suggestions are help would be great. I bought my kit from Ottawa, Ontario, this is the website.

http://www.jaedarautomotive.com

#9 ·
Hey I have a 2013 ram sport with the projector low beams. I've been using the canbus generation 3 kit 35 watt 6000k. This has been a nightmare for me!! The ballast and bulbs for the HID kit on the passenger side have burned out on my twice now this summer and i've only had the truck 5 months. Its a good quality kit, canbus 3 no wiring harness and no flickering issues, but they keep burning out. So i dont' know what to do now. This is driving me insane too, i can't stand halogen bulbs, the light they emit are just garage. I can't believe dodge cheaped out on the HID kits for these trucks, the 2013 F-150's have HID kit stock with there projector low beams!! I dont even want to drive this truck at night now with stock halogens!

Any suggestions are help would be great. I bought my kit from Ottawa, Ontario, this is the website.

http://www.jaedarautomotive.com
Could simply be a grounding issue. I ran a wire from each ballast to the battery for grounding. Don't trust the metal around the lamp assemblies, there is some resistance there.

#13 ·
im running retrosolutions 55w digital in both my fogs and headlights with a canbus wiring harness. no problems as far as flickering or issues with the truck. the only problem i have is i have a bulb already going out after 9mo and retrosolutions wont honor their warranty... thats another story though...

#15 ·
ok have to ask .... whats the deal with DDM TUNING I am looking at there h13 hi/low system. Do I need the the error eliminators? is this a good kit ? and do I need anything else .. my trucks 2011 ram with dual headlamp been reading around everyone is saying go DDM . I am a truck part distributor and have access to good quality kits such as bright source and the hypherion elte systems but do I need to spend the extra MOOLA or should I just give these DDM'S a try .... thanks for any help .. cheers

#16 ·
Here's the deal with ddm. I lived litterally two blocks away from their shop in huntington beach CA. The people that work there in my opinion are idiots as far as im concerned but that doesnt reflect on their product. Being as they were so close and so cheap with a life time warranty i put HIDs on every car/truck ive owned (which is about 7 in the past 3 year) and on all my family members cars including my ex wifes family members cars (we were married at the time) ive learned a lot about their products over the years and here is what i have to say about them.

For the money and warranty you cant go wrong. $35 for hids with a life time warranty?! im sold! Ive installed their kits on a lot of different cars/trucks and ive only had 1 ballast fail. Their warranty is truly no hassle unlike retrosolutions where you pay nearly $400 for 2 kits one goes bad and they give you the run around just to get rid of you. They move a ton of units and i truly mean A TON. So with that being said i dont think they will be going out of business soon leaving you S.O.L. Their 35w kits are good but not the best around. At the same time though i feel they are the best for the price. The 55w kit is pretty good the only downside is it uses a 35w bulb and it comes dirrectly from china so it takes forever. I consider 2-3 weeks forever at least lol. Their bulb kelvin is a little inconsistent. i put a 35w kit on a ranger and on a 4 runner both 4500k one came out purple/pure white the other came out more like a 4500k where it was warm white. The 55w 6000k kit i put on a jaguar s-type i had came out with a tinge turquoise where the same 55w 6000k kit i put on my ex wifes jeep came out with a tinge blue. On my f350 i had, i think i got the wrong kit all together one bulb was pink the other one was yellow but they exchanged it no questions asked and so i got new ones which came out pure white (5000k 35w). I read that at DDM this is common cause i guess they dont have all the kelvin rating bulbs they claim so like 4500k and 5000k you get the same bulb 6000k and 8000k same bulb as well as 10000k and 12000k.

in conclusion you are paying less for less quality control. If you want HIDs that work and wont break the bank go with DDM if you want a very good and true to color kit go with a morimoto mini h1 retrofit and get the morimoto 3five ballast and morimoto XB35 h1 bulb. also theretrofitsource has a standalone can-bus wire that id get if i went with the ddm kit.

hope i help if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask

#17 ·
The only thing I will tell anyone that uses Cheap Ballasts in there trucks is use them with a wire harness. If the cheap ballast will blow, you wont kill your TIPM in your truck, cheap insurance for an $800 product. There are no fuses to your front headlights or fogs or highs, if it shorts due to a crappy ballast, you will blow your TIPM, at least with a wire harness you will have the chance your fuse in the harness will blow before your TIPM, also, cheap ballast upon trigger can pull 10 - 15 amps, over time these will fatigue your TIPM and it will die needed replacement, with a wire harness your driving them off the battery direct and only using a small amount of power to trigger them.

#18 ·
When you need to replace a HID bulb, you should buy 2 bulbs at the same time and replace both of them. The reason is that the quality control (for the metal salts in the glass bulb) is not that great and when they purchase the HID bulbs for the install kits, all the bulbs come from the same lot and per what Kelvin they are.

So if you want to have your HID bulbs to be the same color, buy them in sets of 2. You don't want 1 old bulb at one shade of color and 1 new bulb another shade.

#20 ·
thanks for the info brondondolan .... jeez don't know what to do looking at an xenon h/13 hi / lo kit with canbus ballast... straight from china shipped to me in Canada for 75 bucks ... I have had good luck with these kits in the past ... that being said I work for a big truck accessorie company ...I can get a truck specific hi/lo from brite source which I can basically have warranty for life on them but gona cost me 180 bucks (ouch ) or alternative theres a local company doing hypherion elite kits truck specific 140.00 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Im honestly thinking just get the kit straight from the source for 75 bucks ... but jeez might be worth just spending the money just for the fact I can get new ballast bulbs anything I need no charge and quick ............ I guess just never payed over 100 for an hid kit any thoughts are appreciated .. oh and I have a xenon h10 kit for the fogs sitting there waiting to go in aswell ..

#21 ·
No problem. The way i justify spending a lump of money on my truck is i think to my self "well i plan on keeping the truck a while, it will be a selling point, its only money ill make it back, and im ill be happy with the purchase" lol. You're basically paying more for the piece of mind in knowing youre getting a quality product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.