DODGE RAM FORUM banner

22" magnaflow

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
Has anyone done just a 22" magnaflow muffler swap. I'm debating between an 18" and 22" how quiet is it? I'm leaving the stock resonator and the rest of the stock system. Thanks everyone

#2 ·
i have a magnaflow on mine. not sure which size it is, but the muffler is decently loud, not as loud as i would like it but with the tailpipes off (all the way to the end of the muffler) it rumbles and crackles and vibrates the cab. not sure which resonator your referring to unless you mean the cat? when i had the tailpipes still on it and the tips it sounded pretty good. from what ive been told (although i dont know much about exhaust) it sounds as though bigger pipes give you deeper sound, smaller pipes give you loud ping-bursting your ear drums kind of loud. (like when dudes put 1.5 inch pipes and tips after the muffler -_- cant stand that shit). then again i think if you had like 4 inch pipes from muffler back it would sound deep, but you might lose pressure and thus loudness with it??? not sure, but thats the way it appears on all the exhaust sites. (kits usually come in 2.5 or 3 inch pipes and 3-4 inch SS tips).

because from the muffler back on mine is missing i will probably end up getting a cat back kit. i was thinking flowmaster super 44 series with 2.5 or 3 inch pipes back to 4-5 inch tips. but i dont know which size pipe (or inch length muffler) would be best for loudness (with a nice deep tone).

My friend has a flowmaster 40 series (i think) on his tahoe with 2.5 or 3 inch pipes back to side-shoot stainless tips. it sounds nice and deep, but its not as loud as my truck.

#3 ·
I have the 22" magnaflow and I love it! I also have the resonators deleted which I highly recommend doing.... Plus it's not as quite as everyone thinks it is. The reason it doesn't drone in the cab like the 14's 18's and 24's which most people run is because it has a larger case size. The 22 has a 5x11" case while the others use a 5x8". So you still get fantastic noise coming out of the tailpipes while the extra 3 inches of case diameter keep you isolated from the dreaded drone.

Keep in mind that the 22" maggy is the one that comes in the cat-back system that they offer, they wouldn't charge you an arm and a leg for a system that sounds stock... so if you want a system with minimal drone the 22 is the muffler for you.

#5 ·
I have the 22" magnaflow and I love it! I also have the resonators deleted which I highly recommend doing.... Plus it's not as quite as everyone thinks it is. The reason it doesn't drone in the cab like the 14's 18's and 24's which most people run is because it has a larger case size. The 22 has a 5x11" case while the others use a 5x8". So you still get fantastic noise coming out of the tailpipes while the extra 3 inches of case diameter keep you isolated from the dreaded drone.
That's interesting! I just had the Magnaflow 24 installed yesterday and it's definitely louder than I thought it would be (not really sure what I expected to be honest but it's pretty loud). And I do have drone between 68-73 mph which based on reviews I definitely did not expect. You're saying the 22s are better? Are they louder/same as the 24s?

#8 ·
Is the 22" magnaflow a direct swap? Its a 3" inlet and 2.5" dual outlet. I was wondering if I'll need to make any modifications to get it to fit to the stock exhaust?

My dad is welder/pipe fitter so I'm going to try and do it by ourselves. Anyone care to share experiences?

#11 ·
If you're aware the 22" Magnaflow muffler is considerably shorter than the stock unit, you have a welder and some spare 2.25", 2.5" and 3" pipe on hand, you'll be fine. I would also suggest having some extra hangers on hand as the 22" does not have a provision for hangers (and the stockers did), and I thought it was a good idea to make sure it was held up there well instead of stressing the hangers before/after the muffler with its weight.

#10 ·
That's my guess... I could be wrong but the resonators on the truck are designed to work with the frequencies put out by the stock set up, I removed mine and I have no drone. I picked the brain of the guy at our local exhaust shop when I had my exhaust installed. The guy at the shop said ditch the resonators and where your exhaust exits has a lot to do with it. He said that if your exiting out of the rear to try and stick your tips out from the bumper so you don't get any of the sound-waves reverberating off the body of the truck, since he was doing the work I said go for it! Now my new tips stick out about 2 inches from the bumper cut outs (a look that I love) and my setup induces no drone on the highway... but it does make some pretty good noise when I step on it or do extended mountain climbs.

Now a buddy of mine has the 14" maggy with the resonators in place and OMG I cant stand it! That sucker drones.

#12 ·
as said earlier, dumping them post axle will get rid of the drone as it's the piping causing it...it'll be quieter than you think (vs the loud pre axle dump)...also, is the body narrower? the body on mine is 5 x 11 x 22, I use to run a 4 x 9 x 18 and that droned alot...

#15 ·
doing turndowns after muffler, some do it right after muffler and some do a turndown after axle...I actually took my single in/dual out magnaflow and rotated it 180 degrees to make it dual in/single out.. i did that to give it a true dual feel...

#16 ·
years ago when I was experimenting..I just swapped my muffler out, and took out resonator and had exhaust piping come out like stock...that droned mike a mutha... then I just did turn downs right after muffler before axle.. the drone totally was eliminated but it was louder than I wanted it to be... my bother in law had done the same thing in his 5.9 dakota, then my sister told him it was waaay too loud so he decided to do the turndowns after axle and i swear it halved the loudness incab and it was perfect..I did the same and that;s the way I've been driving it over 5 years and over 175k miles, I've swapped the muffler out twice when the packing broke down but didn't change how it was setup...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.