DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Sport bumper?

5K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  DODGE4x4 
#1 ·
will a sport bumper off an 01 ram work on my 97. and will the bumper off my truck work on an 01. thanks...

G
#2 ·
A stock chrome/plastic 97 bumper will fit 94 to 01 trucks. The support brackets behind the stock bumper and the sport bumper are different.

The 01 Ram Sport bumper, with the brackets that come with it, should also fit. I only find a listing for '99 to '01 sport front bumpers and brackets but maybe that's because they didn't make a '97 Ram Sport body colored front fascia.

Gonna do the foglights from the ram sport too?

Check out LMCTruck.com and their catalog for the Dodge pickups for some exploded view drawings of the stock and ram sport front bumpers. Illustrations start on page 11.

G
#4 ·
Sweet. That will look good!

You may have to replace your headlight switch if you don't already have fogs on your truck. The foglight equipped second gen Ram used a combination headlight/foglight switch.

The whole kit (lights, harness, switch) is still available from Dodge for around $175

#8 ·
:smileup: Sounds like a great deal just fell in your lap. Awsome. Do you have the mounting brackets as well for the sport bumper? They are different.

#12 ·
They bolt the same to the hood, just the brackets are different since the newer sport is wider, and taller. If you do switch everything, carefull as the plastic on the grills likes to break when un bolting them

and you don't have to switch grills, there will just be a slight gap. I eventually will fill mine with a led light bar, like knight rider style. or I may just get the chrome sport one from LMC

#20 ·
Sure. My sport grill was broken and hanging on by zip ties in alot of places so I took out the honeycombs on two of the areas. Held them up in the bumper to get a rough size to cut, and took the dremel to it. I sprayed them with a chrome spraypaint, since the body color wouldn't have been very noticable. I had automotive adhesive stuff leftover from when I glued the newer ram head (caravan??, its like the 3rd gen ones but smaller) on the grill. I used it to glue it to the bumper cover, using zip ties to hold the honeycomb while the glued dried, and I actually left them on for a few days to make sure they held. I have had them in since late summer and they are still holding. I think I covered everything.

oh forgot the honeycomb is four peices, one for each hole in the bumper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.