DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Hood interior liner fell off - replace or ignore?

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ramfam 
#1 ·
My interior hood liner finally just came a-tumbling down today when I raised the hood. There was no saving it - 17 years of use had done it in.

Any thoughts on whether to replace it? If so, where besides a dealer might find one? Or should I just let it go and not worry about it.

Thanks!

#2 ·
It is only there for sound deadening & half ass looks
in colder climates it may help to keep some of the freezing temperature out, but mostly frozen temperatures rise out of the ground
If you ever noticed, between 2 am & 5 am your house seems to get warmer or cooler then it was a couple hours before then, if you don't use a/c or heating. It is from the ground releasing heat from the sun or chill from the ground

Just paint it pretty & forget it

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...alse...0...1.1.37.img..14.13.1119.EpL27OYN7bo

#3 · (Edited)
It might reduce noise by a hair. You might be able to make a better one using something like (fat mat) or marine Sound Down. Hamilton Marine sells a product called "Peace and Quiet". I put some in the back of my Dodge Magnum with very loud exhaust, helped a lot. GTyankee has the best idea, though.

#4 ·
Wow! Quite a selection of awesome artwork there! I'm gonna spend some time taking all that in.

I'm just gonna blow of the idea of replacing the mat. If it's not crucial to vehicle operation or safety, I'm not going to waste time and money on it.

Thanks, guys!

#9 ·
Nether of the Gen 2 truck's I've had have a liner on the hood. Clean it up and go without it.

#10 ·
Not a comment, but, more of a question, could the paint on the hood be damaged by engine heat, if the insulation isn't there? Just wondering, as it seems the hood could get pretty hot. I once had a fiberglass hood on one of my vehicles, with no insulation, and no problems.

#12 ·
After 17 years your under-hood liner was probably holding a lot of dust, sifting down onto your engine at every bump. I've run many vehicles over the years with-out the liners, NO PROBLEMS. I took the one off my Ram last year when I did my shaker hood project.

#13 ·
My 01 is good. To be honest with the older trucks the paint wasn't damaged from heat. But I acualy think thin spot in the factory paint. The stripes that forms on the hood goes clear to the roof. On the 95 it was known as the rust race stripe. Now on yours I think they use an electrostatic paint dust that bakes on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.