DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Differential Upgrade

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  acs0424 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Y'all

I think this is my first actual thread I've created so hopefully it's in the right spot for the topic and all that jazz.

In any case, moving on. Found out today that my stock LSD in my Ram (2007 Ram 1500 Hemi QC Big Horn 4x4) is toast. When something breaks, it's time to upgrade it. Question is, I got no idea what I wanna do from here.

I'd like to stick with a limited slip diff as it really does fit most/all my needs. I know about lockers but don't know about lockers if you know what I mean.

I'm here today to ask you guys what exactly a good upgrade is. Budget isn't too much of an issue but I'd like to keep it sub $1000 and from what bit of looking around I've done most diffs tend to be $500-$700 so it shouldn't be difficult. So far I've found the detroit truetrac and I've also heard of the auburn diffs. I really know nothing about these things and don't know which is better, or if they both have certain pros and cons.

So regarding the diffs, basic question: What the hell should I get? I know so little about these and the internet and search functions are only so helpful. I'm always a fan of real discussion.

Part 2:
So I know whatever shop does the work will have to go into the rear end. Does this mean they'll also be able to change the gearing or is that a completely different part of the truck (very novice gearhead here). Currently I've got 3.92's and I'm wondering if upgrading to something like 4.10s is worth it. No lift on the truck, running 33" tires, and I don't particularly care about gas mileage. So part 2 question: Is doing a gearing upgrade worth it and what exactly does it do?

EDIT: Left something out of my original post - seeing as this forum section also has suspension in the name might as well post this here.

Part 3: I want to do a suspension upgrade. Not a lift per say (perhaps a level) but just an upgrade. Currently debating between Bilstein 5100s (which you all know about) or Rancho RS9000XL adjustables: http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A2641A0A0A3517561.aspx. I am aware of the price difference. Looking to do all 4 shocks. I don't need a lift really as I'm more dealing with rough back/dirt roads/paths in Maine so I want something that can just handle it better than the stock suspension. I like the Rancho's and I've heard about a certain part in the Bilsteins breaking after rough enough use although this certainly could've been special circumstances as I do not recall. So part 3 question: Ranchos or Bilsteins? Or any other ideas? I'm open to recommendations on this. No real determined budget thus far but sub $1000 is preferred.

I have done a bit of searching on the forums and the internet but like I said previously it's only so useful.

If you need to ask me anything in order to give me better info by all means please go ahead.

Thanks for any and all help guys,
Andrew

See less See more
#12 ·
Well, turns out the rear end wasn't toast. Recieved some mis-info in communication. The diff is just worn out, basically right where it should be at 86k according to the shop doing the work. Still dealing with some other problems with the truck but after that...who knows what I will do next.

#16 ·
That e-locker is exactly what I'm looking for...couldn't find anything like that on-line. Will have to look into it, thanks for the recommendation. Probably won't do anything with the gearing as of right now due to money...which I will need to find more of so I can indeed do the gearing! Haha. All the help is much appreciated guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.